Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religion, Science, and education level

I am of the mind that all good things are from God

Greg posted this, and I have heard this from many people all my life. This is of course one of the 2 things you should not speak about at the family holiday meal gathering, the other being politics, but hey, lets be dangerous. There exists a measurable decline in U.S. and rest of world, in belief in God as education level rises, belief rises as you get to dire segments, with near 100 percent when polling incarcerated, the terminally ill, soldiers at war. "There are no atheists in foxholes."

While 4 out of 5 americans believe, among college grads 1 in 2, among PHD scientists in U.S. belief is a fraction, 1 in 5. But spiritualism, or belief in a higher power rises. Ones religion is primarily a function of where you are born in the world, born in India you just wont have the same religious outlook. Has God changed just because you were born somewhere else?

I appreciate traditions, the customs of getting together with family and if its a religious holiday taking part in the prays, the customs, but it is more a respectful showing of social custom. In this day and age, I cant think people truly accept, for instance, that god speaks thru the pope and what the pope says is the will of god. Catholicism is by far the largest Christian denomination in the world, some 16 percent, over a billion people. But you primarily believe this simply by virtue of where you are born, and if your family practices this belief. This isnt how truth works, no matter where you are born in world, the same math equation has same answer, for instance.

Is religion simply a label that is printed on your tush based on where you are born. Maybe we all are slowly evolving to processing our understanding of shared energy. To go back to how the veil of perception is dramatically altered, as if we all live all our lives in a tent, but via access to an altered state its exactly like lifting up the flaps, and looking outside and seeing the stars and there is no doubt that the vastness always was there, you just could not perceive it. Anyone who has had a DMT or guided ayahuasca trip knows we all are connected, and all have a shared energy. Or so I have read.

Maybe the gap of religious, and atheists, the erosion of regular participants in church over time, maybe its not a gap, but an evolution, and a 1000 years in future, we will all be the same "church", but it will be of a sort that is not recognizable today.

On religion and education level, I imagine that's a chicken and the egg thing to some extent. I haven't believed in G-d for as long as I can remember, despite my parents' keeping a kosher home and sending me to Hebrew School twice a week (although they rarely spoke about G-d).

For the atheists in the group, how and when did you "become" atheist? In what way, if any, did "school" at any level contribute to your conclusion that there is no deity?

For the religious, how many of you feel like you consciously "chose" your faith, as opposed to inheriting it from your family or, like me and atheism, is it just something you knew/felt for as long as you can remember?

Comment

i think there is peer pressure the higher you go educationally to say not to believe in religion. especially among sciences. and if you were going for a scientific job or one that required an advanced degree belief in God might cause some discrimination. as a result, in higher education you might have an anti-religious herd mentality... until you find yourself in a foxhole, terminally ill, or incarcerated. heh

it's really culture. and there will never be a one-size fits all answer, because the question or life is too personal or subjective.

Comment

It was my first reading of non-fiction books in 4th grade, specifically the "Time Life Series" of books on Early Man that took me down the road to atheism. I extrapolated my readings of global mythologies, the fake nature of Santa, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy, and evolution and made the leap
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
        X