Rules for Mealtime Prayers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DMT View Post
    Yea this isn't really that funny to me because I have always been super uncomfortable when people pray around a meal I'm about to eat. Thankfully it's been years since I've found myself in this situation.
    I hope you do not mind me asking this, if you are with people you like/love and it makes them feel good to pray, why would you care?

I have been honored to go to many weddings with a bunch that did not practice Christianity. It is a time for celebration not evangelizing.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
      Yea this isn't really that funny to me because I have always been super uncomfortable when people pray around a meal I'm about to eat. Thankfully it's been years since I've found myself in this situation.
      It's so much less jarring as an atheist when it's sung in a language you don't really understand.

Baruch atah Adonai, Elohaynu melech ha'olam, ha-motzi le'chem min-ha'aretz.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
        It's so much less jarring as an atheist when it's sung in a language you don't really understand.

Baruch atah Adonai, Elohaynu melech ha'olam, ha-motzi le'chem min-ha'aretz.
        If it is before a meal in a Jewish household I say Amen!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          If it is before a meal in a Jewish household I say Amen!
          No, you have to sing "amen" in three syllables. Ah-ah-men.

Comment

I hope you do not mind me asking this, if you are with people you like/love and it makes them feel good to pray, why would you care?

I have been honored to go to many weddings with a bunch that did not practice Christianity. It is a time for celebration not evangelizing.
            I have no problems with prayers during a festive occasion like a wedding.

Otherwise, it makes me uncomfortable because I find religion to be so ridiculous that I have no interest in being exposed to it in any form (on a personal level). Of course I have enough social intelligence not to make a big deal about it, but it's still an internal struggle. I also had to deal with four years of Catholic HS shoving it down my throat.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

speaking only for myself of course - I have no problem with friends & family praying before a meal. However if they intentionally try to engage me in it - e.g. by grabbing my hand - the onus is now on me to declare my intentions or play along. That to me is disrespectful.
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                speaking only for myself of course - I have no problem with friends & family praying before a meal. However if they intentionally try to engage me in it - e.g. by grabbing my hand - the onus is now on me to declare my intentions or play along. That to me is disrespectful.
                Yeah, honestly, I have no problem when the folks I'm with choose to pray/say grace, but I do get very uncomfortable if they try to grab my hands into a prayer circle of bowed heads, or if someone asks in front of the whole group, "Brian, would you like to say 'Grace'?", which has happened to me before. I've also been to plenty of church services for friends' sacraments, and will sit and stand with the congregation, which I view as respecting the community I'm visiting, but I won't kneel or vocalize the prayers, or participate in any call and response (which I mostly don't know anyway). And of course I won't go up for communion, which would be disrespectful/inappropriate.

Comment

next time someone grabs your hand to start praying, defend yourself with the charm of making!

"You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                    next time someone grabs your hand to start praying, defend yourself with the charm of making!
                    Merlin was The Man!
                    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

I am sorry that they did that to you.

That said if you didn't pray then you were just holding hands with friends that wanted to include you.
                      Agreed. But, I still would have liked to have been asked. Or better yet, each of them that want do their own silent prayer over their meal.
                      “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

And for a bunch of Baptists, they don't seem to remember this verse:

Matthew 6:5-6 New International Version (NIV)
                        Prayer
                        5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                          And for a bunch of Baptists, they don't seem to remember this verse:

Matthew 6:5-6 New International Version (NIV)
                          Prayer
                          5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
                          Steve, not knowing the situation and what the contents of the prayer were, this verse is referring to the Pharisees who were basically grandstanding in the prayers. "Look at me and how good I am. Thank you, that I am not like the dirty shepherd that just walked by me."

Our prayers are meant to be reverent. As Gregg mentioned earlier, a lot of times praying over food has become legalistic and empty. I think that was the biggest point of the video.
                          "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                          - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                          - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Agreed. But, I still would have liked to have been asked. Or better yet, each of them that want do their own silent prayer over their meal.
                            You left off the important hashtag.

#MeNoPrayToo

Comment

True story. I was recently at a meeting at a restaurant. There were probably 10-15 of us around the table. All of a sudden, the two people on either side of me grab my hands and we're now having a public prayer over our meal in a public restaurant. Now, these are all friends of mine and one is a Baptist minister (who was giving the blessing) - it made me very uncomfortable. Frankly, if I had been thinking, I would have excused myself from the table. But, I'm also sure they would have just waited until I returned. My point is that it's aggravating when everyone just assumes that everyone at the table wants to participate in their religious rituals. And this is probably why I didn't find the video funny.

I was dating a lady back in the spring who considered herself to be a "recovering Catholic". I had never heard the term, so I looked it up and it seems that a "recovering Catholic" is someone who thinks their relationship with the Catholic Church was detrimental to them. I now consider myself a "recovering Baptist".
                              I hope you didn't eat that food
                              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                                I hope you didn't eat that food
                                Hey, it was already sitting there. Drank my margarita in front of all my uptight friends as well. (2 others drank) One of my best friend's wife said "Well! If Steve is going to drink, I'm going to drink!" Not sure what she was saying!

Comment

Working...
                                X