No announcement yet.

Exceelent Music You've Heard Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been awhile since I contributed to this thread, so here are a few I've recently discovered.

Bluegrass:

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Soul:

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Comment

• NOLA Funk

- Terence McKenna

Comment

• If you like that, here's the whole album.

- Terence McKenna

Comment

• Nigerian Toureg, this dude is like an African Jimi Hendrix:

- Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              How freaking epic is Tool's Fear Inoculum? I'm floored. Long time coming, but worth it. Any Tool fans here?
              I have been a very casual Tool fan over the years. I own Aenima album, but rarely listened to it even though I have enjoyed all of the Tool songs I have heard.

I figured I would give "Fear Inoculum" a listen and.....like you I was floored! Fucking epic album..EPIC!
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Lightning Bolt are a 2 piece bass and drum thrash punk sort of band. They always play on the floor with the crowd, the drummer wears a mask with microphones installed, and the live show is pretty great because of all of this. They just put out their 8th album, Sonic Citadel, and I think it's their best. Previously, I quite enjoyed their 4th album, Hypermagic Mountain, as it used a lot of nursery rhyme melodies played at breakneck speeds, creating a dizzying Alice In Wonderland vibe. But I had never gotten into the rest of the catalogue. The 8th album finally finds a bit more melody and accessibility while retaining the feel of careening off the rails. I dislike the 10 minute closing track, but the rest of the album is awesome. A top 5 album of the year for sure.

This is the album opener. I cannot avoid headbanging.

Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Who was the poster who was obsessed with the Old 97s?

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                    Who was the poster who was obsessed with the Old 97s?

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                      Lightning Bolt are a 2 piece bass and drum thrash punk sort of band. They always play on the floor with the crowd, the drummer wears a mask with microphones installed, and the live show is pretty great because of all of this. They just put out their 8th album, Sonic Citadel, and I think it's their best. Previously, I quite enjoyed their 4th album, Hypermagic Mountain, as it used a lot of nursery rhyme melodies played at breakneck speeds, creating a dizzying Alice In Wonderland vibe. But I had never gotten into the rest of the catalogue. The 8th album finally finds a bit more melody and accessibility while retaining the feel of careening off the rails. I dislike the 10 minute closing track, but the rest of the album is awesome. A top 5 album of the year for sure.

This is the album opener. I cannot avoid headbanging.

I've always liked them though I don't play their music that often. I usually listen to my music on shuffle. I think you have to be in the right mood to listen to a whole album by them.
                      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• I totally forgot about this. Pretty cool that they used such an obscure song by them.

As for the original question, Jefe is the poster that works with the Old 97's, I'm a big fan (though less so of the more recent albums).

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Ah, thanks guys. Rhett did a solo show here in LA on the 9th that I went to. It was just him and Murray Hammond (the bassist) and they played Fight Songs all the way through as well as "Timebomb", "Barrier Reef", and some b-side. Very fun show, except for the first 20 minutes or so which was Murray doing his own solo stuff that was ummm not great. Since a friend of mine has become friendly with Rhett I was "on the list" for this one which was pretty dang cool. Oh, and Rainn Wilson was there!

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                            Ah, thanks guys. Rhett did a solo show here in LA on the 9th that I went to. It was just him and Murray Hammond (the bassist) and they played Fight Songs all the way through as well as "Timebomb", "Barrier Reef", and some b-side. Very fun show, except for the first 20 minutes or so which was Murray doing his own solo stuff that was ummm not great. Since a friend of mine has become friendly with Rhett I was "on the list" for this one which was pretty dang cool. Oh, and Rainn Wilson was there!
                            Sounds like a great show.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Not suer if this counts as movies or music but I did enjoy and it and would be curious to hear from others agreeing or tearing it apart with me.

Echo in the Canyon

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                                Not suer if this counts as movies or music but I did enjoy and it and would be curious to hear from others agreeing or tearing it apart with me.

Echo in the Canyon

I really enjoyed this documentary. It was nostalgic, entertaining, and educational all at the same time. Some reviewers have ripped Jakob Dylan for not being as talented as his father and using the family name to open doors. Why can't people just enjoy both without comparing?
                                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X