Extreme climate events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    Precisely. My POV is the Brookings assessment is far, far too generous toward Carter - they left out the corruption of the "Georgia Mafia", some of which was caught and punished, but much of which was just allowed to go away, the complete lack of a coherent economic policy, which led to double-digit inflation AND unemployment rates through much of the country, lack of coherent energy policy, and a woeful foreign policy focus.

And those are merely the high points.
    Don't be shy. Tell us what you really think.

Obama was not the worst President of the last 50 years, but neither is Trump. Still, Jimmy Carter would make a great next door neighbor.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
      Don't be shy. Tell us what you really think.
      Heh, yeah, I can't resist when it comes to Carter. And I left out the near-runaway interest rates, too. It's interesting watching some of the historical revisionism when it comes to his failures - he's the last president to have a Congress fully in control of his party for his entire tenure, he took over post-Watergate, and had an opportunity where just marginal gains economically would have made he and his party heroes. Instead, he tanked everything, lost the presidency, and on his tails of his terrible performance, lost the Senate for the first time since 1954, and lost 34 seats in the House.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

The world's oceans are hotter than ever before, having ansorbed 90% of the greenhouse gas heating we create. The amount of energy we have put out there that the oceans have absorbed in the last few decades is a equal to 3.6 BILLION Hiroshima atomic bombs. I just read that and it blew my mind.

Comment

some physicists will mention how studying games theory is eerily similar to mainstream physics. that they didn't expect to find the same equations. when I walk around think about life. everything scientific. the thing I think about most nowadays is how we are all unknowingly planning our own self destruction. perhaps that's the Fermi paradox. but the world is unfortunately. or it seems like it. what do you do. you find an island because there's nothing you can do. 80's pop culture transects reality. i'll take 1980's movies where kids save the world for $500 Alex. and you know they will.

Comment

i think about the Hugh Everett. who is credited with many worlds theory. i've been meaning to read his autobiography by his son. it's extraordinary to think he was the first to really maybe figure out what the two split experiment meant. or even the quantum measurement problem. so long ago. and the academic resistance to that effort caused him to go to the defense industry. not for money, although it paid better. and the way he died. from gluttony. i imagine the things he used to think about. the war games scenarios. not just this universe but if you believed many worlds, the things you can wonder about happening. how would that affect your outlook on the things you do, like preventing nuclear war or armageddon. he did it here. the world is still here. he was probably the big brain that showed the russians we knew where to launch missiles too. and it killed him in the end.

one man can't possibly be strong enough to save the world. but if you ever were, you might even be strong enough to save alternate worlds too, while questioning the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics..while ironically eating yourself to death.

Comment

you guys ever watch that TBD channel where they have kids learn about pop culture.

it's a different age brother. when you can give a cassette tape to a kid or have them work an Apple 2 computer. something that was created and went in one generation

dam so drunk i edited my own video again. ok.. war games has no re watchable value. it has no soundtrack. yet as stupid as iron eagle was in contrast, you can't beat soundtracks by queen.

i watched flash gordon the other day and was almost in tears. the brilliance of that movie.

Comment

it's dangerous to use the environment for an excuse for war. but it's not hard to predict that it be the main reason in the future. we are unknowingly planning our own destruction one way or another. that's how i live my life. when i walk in the supermarket and watch someone walk out with $400 in groceries in plastic bags. when every person is ready to beep at me in my car for hesitation. it's a new world. it's really actually not looking good. and i don't say it because i am old. whatever the reason, money, environment, cell phones, even if just a little bit now, it's affecting everyone. it's a brave new world.

Australian politicians get office, they push for coal and lose election or leave and become lobbyist for the coal industry. they make a lot of money and the country burns. this is an example of one man making a difference, the wrong way.

Comment

there is a couple differences between a world that theoretically would wipe itself out. - deep down humans do want to do the right thing. there maybe pressures on us that prevent that sometimes. for example, we maybe wiping out other species at an alarming rate. but when we see an animal in trouble on a personal level we band together to help. also, it's an oxymoron to say a technological intelligent species was dumb enough to wipe itself out. for example, cells phone help people to escape reality, but it transfers information. and it's not that it's the wrong information, because eventually enough ppl band together to solve a crisis.

like the last star wars movie. those guys were out in space jerking off but when the rebels needed them they came to the call. i just don't see us wiping ourselves out.

Comment

As if 2020 couldn't get worse, wild fires have started in the mountains north of Tucson. The Pima Canyon trail, which is the closest trail to my house, is being destroyed. Evacuation orders being prepared for an area that ends about a mile from my house (i.e. my house is not in that area). I took this last night from my backyard.

IMG_20200610_204333.jpg
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      As if 2020 couldn't get worse, wild fires have started in the mountains north of Tucson. The Pima Canyon trail, which is the closest trail to my house, is being destroyed. Evacuation orders being prepared for an area that ends about a mile from my house (i.e. my house is not in that area). I took this last night from my backyard.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1256[/ATTACH]
                      Yeah, it feels like Santa Anna times here in June (usually it's in Sept/Oct) Hot winds blowing.
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1256[/ATTACH]
                        I'm following what's going on-seems to be getting bad-stay safe.
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

For the climate change deniers, it is important to emphasize that the massive changes that are happening and will get worse because of how we ignore our impact on the environment won't likely be all at once, but as tragedies spread out over a long time. Here is one of them, related to the erosion of Miami beaches, the flooding, and the long term sinking of that area:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...0eW?li=BBnbfcL

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                            For the climate change deniers, it is important to emphasize that the massive changes that are happening and will get worse because of how we ignore our impact on the environment won't likely be all at once, but as tragedies spread out over a long time. Here is one of them, related to the erosion of Miami beaches, the flooding, and the long term sinking of that area:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...0eW?li=BBnbfcL
                            People who still think we humans have had nothing to do with acceleration climate change have never owned an aquarium.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                              People who still think we humans have had nothing to do with acceleration climate change have never owned an aquarium.
                              Or looked at the before and after pictures of the last two decades of all the melting glaciers and dead corral reefs. But hundreds of bodies in the rubble tends to hit harder for folks. I fear it won't be the last time this happens, but I don't know how many more of these it will take for folks not to snatch up condos in high rises on eroding sand.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                                Or looked at the before and after pictures of the last two decades of all the melting glaciers and dead corral reefs. But hundreds of bodies in the rubble tends to hit harder for folks. I fear it won't be the last time this happens, but I don't know how many more of these it will take for folks not to snatch up condos in high rises on eroding sand.
                                Well as it's been said--Capitalism doesn't value a forest until it's been cut down.

As long as we are a greedy, selfish, manifest destiny species, the Earth stands no chance in the long run.

But on the bright side, we'll probably destroy ourselves in war/conflict before we kill the Earth, so maybe there's a chance it'll survive and hopefully spawn a grateful, appreciative entity to live upon it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X