Where does Harper end up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    What about value relative to position? I'm a points league guy, and elite SPs outscore bats, so I'm not aware of the roto numbers. I suspect, though, that the drop off from elite arms to middle tier arms is more severe than the drop off from elite bats to middle tier bats. Wouldn't that make getting an elite arm worth more?
    That should be already accounted for in $s earned, so doing a second comparison would be double counting the relative differences.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
      That should be already accounted for in $s earned, so doing a second comparison would be double counting the relative differences.
      IDK. In practice, I think the $s earned does not accurately account for auction dynamics, especially in keeper leagues, where a disproportionate amount of auction dollars go to elite talent. Maybe I'm wrong. My thoughts on elite arms has always been skewed by my participation in pts leagues where 1. elite arms outscore elite bats, and 2. elite arms outscore midtier arms by much more than elite bats outscore midtier bats.

Comment

IDK. In practice, I think the $s earned does not accurately account for auction dynamics, especially in keeper leagues, where a disproportionate amount of auction dollars go to elite talent.
        $'s earned is not supposed to account for auction dynamics, it's supposed to show the true value. The auction dynamics skew prices, not values. We have to keep those separate when talking about costs, as they are completely different concepts.

Maybe I'm wrong. My thoughts on elite arms has always been skewed by my participation in pts leagues where 1. elite arms outscore elite bats, and 2. elite arms outscore midtier arms by much more than elite bats outscore midtier bats.
        Agree, points leagues would be very different. I've seen the valuations for those and pitchers are always higher valued than a typical roto league.

Comment

Getting back on topic, I agree that the Nationals are still in play, although I don't see them topping the offer Harper already turned down. Honestly, I'd be surprised if he gets more than 300 mil from anyone. I think it would be an overpay, if someone does go over that amount.

Comment

Bob Nightengale
            ‏Verified account @BNightengale
            17m17 minutes ago

The #Phillies will have Bryce Harper or Manny Machado or possibly both in uniform on opening day
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

rumours abouding on reddit (which is of course the authorative source of nothing) that Harper will sign with the Phillies today
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                rumours abouding on reddit (which is of course the authorative source of nothing) that Harper will sign with the Phillies today
                I'd still bet he ends up back with the Nats...
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

My money is on the Phillies.

Comment

The Giants are now rumored to be interested in Harper.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

If I am the White Sox I am calling Harper and saying we will meet your demands and you sign today.

I heard on the radio that they have not drawn 2 million at the gate since 2012. They are at 84 million in salary with more dropping off next year.

Losing out on Machado is just another disappointment. Management gets no points for getting close. Just another loser situation in a plethora of loser situations over the last two decades.

It is time they step up and give the loyal fan base some hope. I am a Cubs fan and even I can see this.

Comment

San Diego. he he

The Bryce Harper saga in Major League Baseball has honestly become just as confusing and as interesting as the Anthony Davis ordeal in the NBA. Oddly enough, the two have more in common than many people may have realized, and the proceedings have taken a strange turn lately. While a number of teams have been […]

Comment

Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
                          That would be awesome for Pads fans, but the whole "super team" narrative pushed in that article, comparing it to NBA teams with a couple of elite stars is absurd. Baseball doesn't work like basketball. Two or three elite players does not a super team make in baseball. You still have to build a deep roster of talent around them. Would the Padres be able to do that?

Comment

That would be awesome for Pads fans, but the whole "super team" narrative pushed in that article, comparing it to NBA teams with a couple of elite stars is absurd. Baseball doesn't work like basketball. Two or three elite players does not a super team make in baseball. You still have to build a deep roster of talent around them. Would the Padres be able to do that?
                            They already have 3 big contracts in Myers/Hosmer/Machado. Sorry if they don't play like a big 3

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                              They already have 3 big contracts in Myers/Hosmer/Machado. Sorry if they don't play like a big 3
                              Yeah, even more reason to be concerned. All that money committed to a small number of players requires a team get the most out of smaller paycheck guys to compete. The Pads haven't shown that ability on a large scale yet. For instance, they have a ton of pitching talent in their minors that would be cheap production, if they pan out. But they don't have a great track record of their arms panning out. As a Paddack owner, I hope that changes!

Comment

I think an important question now in the Harper equation is, where will Keuchel end up? There are several teams that certainly could use Keuchel, and its doubtful that Keuchel and Harper end up on the same team because of payroll concerns, so it will be interesting to see who goes first (next)?

Comment

Working...
                                X