Where does Harper end up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    He should sign a two year deal with the Cubs...oh wait they don't have any money.
    What an embarrassing off-season.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      Nats owner Mark Lerner says they've "moved on" from Harper, so I'd assume they're out as well. So I guess the teams left standing are the Phillies, Giants and Padres.
      He also said the door was still cracked. I think they have as good a chance as anyone.

Comment

Middleton's plane was spotted today on the tarmac at McCarren, according to MLBTR

Comment

Now they are reporting a meeting, but saying nothing is agreed and other teams are in play.

Comment

I remember when free agent players used to have to fly to meet the team owners.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
              I remember when free agent players used to have to fly to meet the team owners.
              This is an improvement. The owners are the ones with the private jets. God-given talent is not a virtue, but it is more of a virtue than having money. Baby steps.

Comment

If the Phillies get Harper that will make the 5th player either signed or traded for. I'm thinking they are seriously trying to win.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                  Harper also seems like he doesn't really want to go to Philly, and I don't actually think the Padres are in the $$$ range he's looking for. So... :shrug:
                  Ownership did not want to leave Las Vegas without a deal. They know the deal needs to be greater than the Machado deal. Rumored to take 350-360m over 10 years to get it down. It would seem that Philly met those demands and yet no deal until Monday.

It does seem that he really does not want to play in Philly.

It also seems that Harper is not willing to give a discount to play somewhere he would prefer.

Comment

Ownership did not want to leave Las Vegas without a deal. They know the deal needs to be greater than the Machado deal. Rumored to take 350-360m over 10 years to get it down. It would seem that Philly met those demands and yet no deal until Monday.

It also seems that Harper is not willing to give a discount to play somewhere he would prefer.
                    Why not Philly? Biggest contract, stacked line-up, bullpen could be very solid with Robertson and they were in contention last season until Sept. Starting pitching after Nola and Arrieta (depending on how fast he recovers) is iffy. Being closer to Las Vegas - really??? If Philly wants to pay him the $350-60 mil contract then that is the rest of his life. Take the deal and be done with it unless there is another team also putting that same amount of money forward.

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                      Why not Philly? Biggest contract, stacked line-up, bullpen could be very solid with Robertson and they were in contention last season until Sept. Starting pitching after Nola and Arrieta (depending on how fast he recovers) is iffy. Being closer to Las Vegas - really??? If Philly wants to pay him the $350-60 mil contract then that is the rest of his life. Take the deal and be done with it unless there is another team also putting that same amount of money forward.
                      I don't know.

Why didn't the owner leave with a handshake agreement?

Comment

this is all part of the negotiation, tactics to get the max value ... I don't think we can assume that he doesn't want to play there.
                        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                          this is all part of the negotiation, tactics to get the max value ... I don't think we can assume that he doesn't want to play there.
                          I thought he actually said that just prior to talking to them.

I think this is more about giving some other teams the chance to meet the offer than beating the offer.

If Philly has the highest offer with no one beating it, do you think he would sign for 5m less to play in SD or SF? I do.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                            I’m sure you’re right but if that narrative sticks and things don’t go well there for him, hold on to your hats...

Comment

I don't know.

Why didn't the owner leave with a handshake agreement?
                              As to why since none of us are there it is all speculation. My point being if this was offered and again speculation then it seems that Harper should accept this as that is the all-time greatest deal offered to a free agent especially after only hitting .249 last season. Maybe Philly is offering less. Maybe there is another team still in negotiation. Maybe Bryce really hates Philly. We'll find out soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X