Robert Mueller investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
    I remember the days when Republicans were tough on crime. Now they talk about crimes as being "ticky-tacky" things and people being provoked into committing felonies. Whatever happened to the party of law and order?
    I remember when justice applied to both parties equally.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Bump. Mueller report to be released next week. With the number of felonies on Trump's list of crimes, I hope he's removed from office to be criminally charged. Highly unlikely that either of these things happen, but I believe everyone is underestimating two things: Trump's level of stupidity, the scope and magnitude of his crimes.

Should be fun, so long as rule of law is followed. I have my doubts, but I still think there's a good chance hes ousted before the end of this year.

Mueller report coming out while Rosenstein is still acting AG, before Barr has passed his ethics review. No chance it gets buried. Gives me some hope. My fear is that the crimes we know about have been public knowledge for so long, people will believe they dont matter. Like cyanide, Trump base have slowly built up an immunity to negative Trump news. I hope this bombshell breaks the seal.
      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
        Bump. Mueller report to be released next week. With the number of felonies on Trump's list of crimes, I hope he's removed from office to be criminally charged. Highly unlikely that either of these things happen, but I believe everyone is underestimating two things: Trump's level of stupidity, the scope and magnitude of his crimes.

Should be fun, so long as rule of law is followed. I have my doubts, but I still think there's a good chance hes ousted before the end of this year.

Mueller report coming out while Rosenstein is still acting AG, before Barr has passed his ethics review. No chance it gets buried. Gives me some hope. My fear is that the crimes we know about have been public knowledge for so long, people will believe they dont matter. Like cyanide, Trump base have slowly built up an immunity to negative Trump news. I hope this bombshell breaks the seal.
        I just dont see the GOP politicians coming to their senses and railing against Trump no matter what happens - there hasnt been enough outrage against them yet.

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
          I just dont see the GOP politicians coming to their senses and railing against Trump no matter what happens - there hasnt been enough outrage against them yet.
          I'm going to wait to see what Mueller's got. If he's got strong evidence of both pre-election (collusion to sway the election, campaign finance violations) and post-inauguration (obstruction of justice, emoluments) crimes by the President, I think we'll have an impeachment, and the public's reaction to the report and the impeachment investigation and articles of impeachment will ultimately drive the considerations of the 20-25 Senators whose vote to convict is most likely to be sway-able.

Comment

Michael Cohen presently detailing Trump's criminal activities while in office, in front of the House Oversight Committee. Pretty juicy 20 page opening statement.

Anybody else watching C-SPAN with a bag of popcorn this afternoon? Man, I feel like such a dork.

PS - 10 mins in, Jim Jordan is a f-ing scumbag, re-iterated with every word of his mouth. None of these Republicans care about the alleged crimes of their leader (I hope I'm proven wrong and one or two break ranks). Pathetic, but not surprising. Dems create a circling firing squad consistently for those who step out of line. Meanwhile, a protector of a serial pedophile (Jim Jordan) gets to act indignant about these multiple federal crimes, brought forward with receipts.
            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

House Republicans are ultimately irrelevant here. Watch for Senate Republican reactions.

Comment

Best highlights so far are the various involvements of Don Jr.

Opening statement from Cohen, this paragraph is pure gold:

What struck me as I looked back and thought about that exchange between Don Jr. and his father was, first, that Mr. Trump had frequently told me and others that his son Don Jr. had the worst judgment of anyone in the world. And also, that Don Jr. would never set up any meeting of any significance alone – and certainly not without checking with his father.
                Later on, Cohen claims that in his 2nd business interaction with Trump, he was specifically brought in because Don Jr. had "created a mess involving licensing fees" or something, and Cohen needed to fix the situation, leading to his hiring in the Trump Org.

The topper, I cannot believe this one. Don Jr. is so stupid, he re-tweeted this from Garrett M. Graff:

"Incredible to see all the hubris drained from Cohen. I've been personally screamed at by Cohen on the phone before and know how much bravado he once had. This is a man with nothing left, with no reason to lie or obfuscate at all. Humbling, in its way."

This was re-tweeted hours ago and still up on Don Jr's page. Too damn funny.

Comment

Well said by Perry Bacon Jr in the 538.com live blog:

Perry Bacon Jr.2:12 PM

This has been the GOP strategy for two years. Don’t rebut what Comey said about Trump; attack Comey’s character. Don’t rebut what McCabe said about Trump; attack McMcabe. This hearing is like much of the last two years. Cohen will be painted on Fox as a liar, without necessarily addressing the question of whether he is lying about Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post

This has been the GOP strategy for two years. Don’t rebut what Comey said about Trump; attack Comey’s character. Don’t rebut what McCabe said about Trump; attack McMcabe. This hearing is like much of the last two years. Cohen will be painted on Fox as a liar, without necessarily addressing the question of whether he is lying about Trump.
                    These are merely appetizers before the Mueller report. When the entirety of evidence is dropped all at once, there will be voluminous evidence of many serious crimes, and he'll broker a deal to vacate the presidency in exchange for immunity to his many crimes. Gov't saves face, everyone is happy.

The thing that I wish they would ask more directly is: "Mr. Cohen, would you say that Donald Trump influenced any of the unsavory or possibly illegal activities that you engaged in as Mr. Trump's lawyer? Furthermore, would you agree that your willingness to commit these illegal acts was part of your appeal as a "fixer" for Mr. Trump?"

They should get to the point. Cohen's criminality isn't the bug for Trump, it's the feature.

Comment

Vacate the Presidency? I believe that Trump will come out of all of this unscathed
                      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post

Standard GOP M.O.

Comment

"a little bit nutty, a little bit slutty"

wait, that wasn't an attack on Cohen. it was on somebody who was painted as a liar (in that case falsely, which is far worse), without necessarily addressing the question of whether that person was lying about another President (wasn't).

"drag a hundred-dollar bill through a trailer park, you never know what you might find."

that's the kind of dispassionate, objective analysis that is needed in these cases, right?

at least you got the "standard M.O." part right!

how so many people can't see the big picture continues to mystify me, for some reason.

Trump is plenty corrupt already - wild overreaching and virtue-signaling just clouds the picture.

Cohen is telling the truth about things that one side likes, and lying about the rest. ask almost anybody. it's the one thing they agree on. and down the rabbit hole we go.
                          Last edited by Judge Jude; 02-27-2019, 05:58 PM.
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post

wait, that wasn't an attack on Cohen. it was on somebody who was (in that calse falsely, which is far worse) painted as a liar, without necessarily addressing the question of whether that person was lying about another President.

"drag a hundred-dollar bill through a trailer park, you never know what you might find."

that's the kind of dispassionate, objective analysis that is needed in these cases, right?

how so many people can't see the big picture continues to mystify me, for some reason.

Trump is plenty corrupt already - wild overreaching and virtue-signaling just clouds the picture.
                            What is the big picture, in your opinion?
                            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                              Vacate the Presidency? I believe that Trump will come out of all of this unscathed
                              +1

I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post

wait, that wasn't an attack on Cohen. it was on somebody who was painted as a liar (in that case falsely, which is far worse), without necessarily addressing the question of whether that person was lying about another President (wasn't).

Cohen is telling the truth about things that one side likes, and lying about the rest. ask almost anybody. it's the one thing they agree on. and down the rabbit hole we go.
                                Nully?
                                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                                X