• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delicious food

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
      You might as well.

I'm reminded of the old joke: "Look to your left. Look to your right. By the end of the year....one of you will be seeking the Democratic nomination for president."
      They did a more depressing one at the start of law school, when they said at least one of you will not finish law school.

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
        They did a more depressing one at the start of law school, when they said at least one of you will not finish law school.
        I got this one first class, freshman year, but it was Calculus - 'one of you will have to drop out of majoring in Engineering."
        This Communications major survived the class - and crushed the life out of someone else's dreams.
        #oops
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by lajago View Post
          Delicious food
          Goodbye, peeples.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
            Goodbye, peeples.
            Was it the damn Russians trying to interfere with our discussion about their interference with our elections?
            I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
              Absurd and baseless nonsense, Jay.
              How so? How can one have a duty to violate the 4th Amendment?

There are three things that must be proven in an obstruction case. The first is a valid investigation. That is what is being challenged.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                we got it at UC Berkeley freshman orientation...."Only 1 of you will graduate from here....."
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• I hesitate to post this, but I might as well urge on the fallen horse. There is lengthy article on how badly the FBI fudged the FISA application, using the Mueller report to fill in some redacted portions of the application. The material in quotes is from the FISA application.
                  "As discussed above, the FBI believes that Page has been collaborating and conspiring with the Russian government [redacted]," the bureau wrote. "Based on the foregoing facts and circumstances, the FBI submits that there is probable cause to believe that Page [redacted] knowingly engage in clandestine intelligence activities (other than intelligence gathering activities) for or on behalf of such foreign power, or knowingly conspires with other persons to engage in such activities and, therefore, is an agent of a foreign power as defined by 50 U.S.C. 1801(b)(2)(E)."

That allegation was at the heart of the Mueller investigation, and the special counsel did not allege that Page, or any American, was involved in what the FBI described.

A huge controversy erupted last year when President Trump declassified parts of the FBI's secret request to wiretap former Trump campaign volunteer foreign policy adviser Carter Page. Defenders and critics of the president argued over whether the October 2016 warrant application to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act court relied extensively on the so-called Steele dossier,

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                    How so? How can one have a duty to violate the 4th Amendment?

There are three things that must be proven in an obstruction case. The first is a valid investigation. That is what is being challenged.

J
                    No it's not. There is no case law that says that someone who is aware of a pending proceeding is free to intentionally obstruct that hearing if he believes the proceeding was based on false pretenses. Even if the government engaged in unconstitutional searches or seizures, a defendant is guilty of obstruction if he knew of the pending proceeding and acted with corrupt intent to impede that proceeding. The remedy for 4th Amendment violations is suppression of evidence improperly obtained. It is not license to threaten or coerce potential witnesses or to hide evidence.

Comment

• Brian, that makes no sense. First, intent to obstruct was always the weakest element. I don't think you could prove it for any of the 10. However, there are two other elements that must proven--the investigation and knowledge of the investigation. If the investigation is not a proper search within the meaning of the 4th Amendment, you are also fried. Even more so if the search turns out to be criminal. To that end

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Brian, that makes no sense.
                        No, what makes no sense is any suggestion that a 4th Amendment violation (if one even occurred) allows one to intimidate, coerce or entice witnesses to lie, disappear or refuse cooperation. There is no precedent for excusing deliberate obstruction.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                          No, what makes no sense is any suggestion that a 4th Amendment violation (if one even occurred) allows one to intimidate, coerce or entice witnesses to lie, disappear or refuse cooperation. There is no precedent for excusing deliberate obstruction.
                          Obstruction of what? There is no investigation to obstruct. That is one of the elements, is it not?

BTW Are you confusing this with 1997? Those were real issues in Clinton's impeachment. Not so much here.

J
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Obstruction of what? There is no investigation to obstruct. That is one of the elements, is it not?

BTW Are you confusing this with 1997? Those were real issues in Clinton's impeachment. Not so much here.

J
                            You make me look stable..........
                            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• I'm sure anyone that cares is already aware but he is scheduled to speak live at 11 AM today.

Comment

• "If we had confidence the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so." Bob Mueller

“Charging the president with a crime was not an option we could consider" Because or DOJ rules so basically only Congress can do this.
                                Last edited by frae; 05-29-2019, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X