Robert Mueller investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    There is a huge difference between being hopelessly corrupt and being a Russian puppet.
    And a bigger one between either of those and reality.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
      And a bigger one between either of those and reality.

J
      Well, your reality maybe
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      ---------------------------------------------
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

So why not focus on the public evidence of corruption instead of making stuff up/suggesting thing that may or may not be true ?
        Because the former is so very lacking compared to the latter, especially given the imaginations of those making stuff up.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Gamble vs. US, which could revisit the whole state/federal double jeopardy issue, looks like it will be ruled on early next year. This could well impact Manafort, among others, in the Mueller investigation.

It's a very interesting case in that the justices are not falling on the conservative/liberal spectrum - for example, as the linked article notes, Justices Ginsburg and Thomas are on the same side and Justices Kagen and Alito could be on the same side.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Well, your reality maybe
            There is only one reality. Facts are stubborn that way.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Should become clear today how much Cohen has told Mueller and how many lies they have been able to prove Manfort told.

WASHINGTON — The special counsel’s office is expected to reveal more details on Friday about separate investigations that have ensnared President Trump’s personal lawyer and his former campaign chairman.

Federal prosecutors working for the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, will submit a sentencing memorandum in Manhattan federal court outlining how much time Mr. Trump’s former lawyer Michael D. Cohen should spend in prison for admitting he lied to Congress. Mr. Cohen is scheduled to be sentenced next week and has agreed to cooperate with Mr. Mueller’s team as well as prosecutors in Manhattan investigating the president’s inner circle.

In the case of Paul Manafort, the former Trump campaign chairman who was convicted of financial fraud and who agreed to cooperate with the special counsel rather than face a second trial, Mr. Mueller’s team has accused him of repeatedly lying to investigators. Prosecutors pulled out of their plea deal with him because, they said, he was repeatedly untruthful. They were expected to disclose details about his falsehoods on Friday.

Mr. Mueller’s team has left open the possibility that it could file new charges for lying against Mr. Manafort. Mr. Manafort’s lawyers say he has been honest with prosecutors.

Edit: For anyone who wants to get into it more the Washington Post article I think gives some more details about what to look for in the filings today...

Careful observers will be able to glean important information about what Mueller might have determined about Trump’s involvement in unseemly or criminal conduct.

Comment

Do we have any smoking gun on the Russia collusion?? I keep hearing about Campaign Finance issues, but still havent seen much on Russia. Maybe I missed it in the last couple days - Ive been preoccupied with life in general.
                It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                  Do we have any smoking gun on the Russia collusion?? I keep hearing about Campaign Finance issues, but still havent seen much on Russia. Maybe I missed it in the last couple days - Ive been preoccupied with life in general.
                  That's because the documents released with the most detail have been relating to Michael Cohen's crimes. What's presumably still to come are the findings developed from Flynn's cooperation and the findings developed in the course of the investigation of Manafort, as well as Trump Jr. and Kushner.

Here's a summary of the threads...

Read CNN’s 2016 Presidential Election Investigation Fast Facts for information about probes into Russian meddling during the 2016 presidential race.

Comment

no smoking gun necessary ...

* Papadopoulos: Pleaded guilty. Sentenced.
                    * Patten: Pleaded guilty.
                    * Manafort: Pleaded guilty.
                    * Cohen: Pleaded guilty.
                    * van der Zwaan: Pleaded guilty. Sentenced.
                    * Gates: Pleaded guilty.
                    * Pinedo: Pleaded guilty.
                    * Flynn: Pleaded guilty.

more than 100 criminal counts against 33 people and three companies so far
                    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post

I thought the open question baldgriff was asking was whether Mueller has evidence to tie the President to an illegal conspiracy involving Russian operatives to influence the 2016 elections.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                        I thought the open question baldgriff was asking was whether Mueller has evidence to tie the President to an illegal conspiracy involving Russian operatives to influence the 2016 elections.
                        you are probably right; but some people seem to then conclude that the investigation should be shut down if there isn't a smoking gun; I just wanted to counter that by showing that the president isn't the only subject being investigated.
                        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post

If you vacuum a clean floor you will still get some lint.

Most of these are ticky-tacky things and others were provoked. As Brian says, nothing even close to the President. Compare Comey's testimony.

J
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                            If you vacuum a clean floor you will still get some lint.

Most of these are ticky-tacky things and others were provoked. As Brian says, nothing even close to the President. Compare Comey's testimony.

J
                            I remember the days when Republicans were tough on crime. Now they talk about crimes as being "ticky-tacky" things and people being provoked into committing felonies. Whatever happened to the party of law and order?
                            If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                              I remember the days when Republicans were tough on crime. Now they talk about crimes as being "ticky-tacky" things and people being provoked into committing felonies. Whatever happened to the party of law and order?
                              All depends on the color of your skin...
                              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Cohen gets 3 years.

I wonder which Club Med he'll wind up?
                                Last edited by In the Corn; 12-12-2018, 02:25 PM.
                                "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                                - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                                - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Working...
                                X