Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Philly give up M.Fultz in a package for J.Butler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Philly give up M.Fultz in a package for J.Butler?

Obviously this is complicated by the trade rules and MIN's desire to shed Dieng as well, but maybe Philly sends Fultz, Chandler, Bayless and two first round picks for Butler and Dieng? From Minnesota's perspective, they get a potential star in Fultz and two first rounders and shed players they need to offload, and Philly avoids the problem that Simmons and Fultz don't mesh while adding players in Butler and Dieng that could more than close the gap between them and Toronto/Boston/(Milwaukee).

I am still hopeful that Fultz will put it all together, but I would do that trade if I were the Sixers.

Comment

From a talent perspective, probably. But the Sixers have to be at least a little skeptical of bringing Butler into their organization at this point.

Comment

Rather disappointing return, but it's to be expected I guess. What with the way that Butler has burned his bridges. It'll be fascinating to see if he tries to dominate Embild like he did KAT.

According to Shams Charania of The Athletic, Minnesota has traded Jimmy Butler and Justin Patton to Philadelphia in exchange for Robert Covington, Dario Saric, Jerryd Bayless and a 2022 second-round draft pick.
        ETA Probably overestimating Butler's abilities and downplaying the role players like Covington. Wolves desperately need his defense...
        Last edited by Hornsby; 11-10-2018, 01:25 PM.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

I think Covington and Saric are good. Should have gotten a first round draft pick though.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
            I think Covington and Saric are good. Should have gotten a first round draft pick though.
            Agreed, although NBA 1st rounders can be such a crap shoot. Donovan Mitchell was the 13th pick, Butler the 30th...I'm happy to be rid of a guy who was intent on destroying the team.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I actually think it’s a good return. Saric and Covington are on great contracts and will help the Wolves considerably now as well as in the future. They’re not sexy names but they’re underrated, unselfish contributors. Butler’s injury history (not to mention how many minutes he’s played) can’t be underestimated and then there’s his attitude and the way he’s behaved recently. Plus the fact that he may be a rental (and/or a grossly overpaid max player in a couple of years).

Comment

All of you T'Wolves fans realize that Thibs is destroying your team right? This was a last-ditch trade of one of the best players in the NBA for role players because the coach is crazy (and always has been). The latest (and final) complaint from Butler on being forced to play 40+ mins a night was by far the most telling and to me the main reason why Butler needed to put on so many antics to get out of there. Thibs runs his players into the ground. This is not disputed. He has the most extreme minute rotations in the NBA.

Thibs is the worst coach in the NBA, and thats with guys like Brooks and Bickerstaff out there. A different coach and this team still together and growing. (apologies if you already knew Thibs was the worst thing to ever happen to Minnesota basketball).

As far as Philly...I worry how a ball-dominant G/F will mesh with what they have there. Not enough shooters from my POV. Seems like Covington was the better fit for that team, but NBA front offices have to go and get their "Big 3" to feel like they have a chance to compete.

ETA: How does Minny not get a single significant draft pick in a deal for Butler? They could have had 3-4 from Houston...heck they could have had Josh Richardson for him! Head scratcher!
                Last edited by Pauly; 11-12-2018, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                  All of you T'Wolves fans realize that Thibs is destroying your team right? This was a last-ditch trade of one of the best players in the NBA for role players because the coach is crazy (and always has been). The latest (and final) complaint from Butler on being forced to play 40+ mins a night was by far the most telling and to me the main reason why Butler needed to put on so many antics to get out of there. Thibs runs his players into the ground. This is not disputed. He has the most extreme minute rotations in the NBA.

Thibs is the worst coach in the NBA, and thats with guys like Brooks and Bickerstaff out there. A different coach and this team still together and growing. (apologies if you already knew Thibs was the worst thing to ever happen to Minnesota basketball).

As far as Philly...I worry how a ball-dominant G/F will mesh with what they have there. Not enough shooters from my POV. Seems like Covington was the better fit for that team, but NBA front offices have to go and get their "Big 3" to feel like they have a chance to compete.

ETA: How does Minny not get a single significant draft pick in a deal for Butler? They could have had 3-4 from Houston...heck they could have had Josh Richardson for him! Head scratcher!
                  Good article on ESPN on how Minnesota screwed the pooch on this one. But I am a believer in addition by subtraction, and getting rid of Butler, and eventually Thibs, is going to be a net positive.

As far as picks go, the Wolves likely would have screwed those up as well...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                    It's usually not that hard to pick up perimeter shooting veterans at the trade deadline from tanking teams - sometimes you only have to wait for them to be released. Philly didn't have to give up much of anything to add Ilyasova and Bellinelli last season. I assume they'll add guys like that again this year (Kyle Korver, JR Smith, Wesley Matthews, Courtney Lee, Jared Dudley, Nemanja Bjelica, Carmelo Anthony lol). In the meantime, obviously they should move Fultz to the bench and start Redick, and when Muscala is healthy he's a potentially decent floor-stretcher at the 4.

Comment

Butler, Covington and Saric all set to debut for their new teams tonight, and Butler appears primed to secure G/F flex eligibility in CBS leagues tonight, to boot.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                        Butler, Covington and Saric all set to debut for their new teams tonight, and Butler appears primed to secure G/F flex eligibility in CBS leagues tonight, to boot.
                        Man, after 2 games, I LOVE this deal for the Wolves. Totally different vibe on the team, they're playing together, having fun, and actually running sets instead of 1 on 5's. Covington is a beast defensively, and Saric is very quietly effective. I know that it's only been 2 games, but it's really a different team. Wiggins suddenly looks like the player that they thought they drafted #1...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          Man, after 2 games, I LOVE this deal for the Wolves. Totally different vibe on the team, they're playing together, having fun, and actually running sets instead of 1 on 5's. Covington is a beast defensively, and Saric is very quietly effective. I know that it's only been 2 games, but it's really a different team. Wiggins suddenly looks like the player that they thought they drafted #1...
                          Glad it's working out. Both guys are easy to root for. Both hustle, do all the little things and seem to be great team mates. I miss both out them. That said, butler is saying ask the right things, the fans are behind him, and he gives the team a closer when the offense bogs down. Good deal for both teams maybe.
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                            Glad it's working out. Both guys are easy to root for. Both hustle, do all the little things and seem to be great team mates. I miss both out them. That said, butler is saying ask the right things, the fans are behind him, and he gives the team a closer when the offense bogs down. Good deal for both teams maybe.
                            Jimmy is certainly a top 20 player on both sides of the ball when his mind is right...and I suspect that he'll stay on his best behavior with the prospect of that max contract sitting out there. Maybe like you said, it'll benefit both teams.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Zoinks!
                              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
                              X