No announcement yet.

2K19: Offseason Transaction Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like the Mets/Mariners deal is done, pending physicals...looks to be pretty much as rumored. Mets get Cano, Diaz and $20 million in salary relief, while the Mariners will take the contracts of Jay Bruce and Anthony Swarzak with prospects Justin Dunn, Jarred Kelenic and Gerson Bautista. A pretty good haul for the M's...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Red Sox re-sign Nathan Eovaldi to a 4yr, $70m deal

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        Ultimate gamble. Could be a steal, could be a total waste of money.

Pros: Eovaldi showed his upside in the postseason. He has a cannon for an arm and has always tantalized with his stuff.

Cons: He has also been frustrating in the past for his proclivity to get rocked the second and third time through the line up. He hasn't been the epitome of great health, and he got worked very hard last season.

Comment

Will Eovaldi stay in the rotation next year, or will he be the new closer? Has anyone read anything on this?
          Reason I am asking is that 2 weeks ago, I made a trade for a $3 Matt Barnes with the hope that Barnes will be the closer.

Comment

Originally posted by cleo View Post
            Will Eovaldi stay in the rotation next year, or will he be the new closer? Has anyone read anything on this?
            Reason I am asking is that 2 weeks ago, I made a trade for a $3 Matt Barnes with the hope that Barnes will be the closer.
            I do not believe the red sox are going to pay eovaldi $17 mil a year to close

Comment

Wade Davis is getting $17.3 mil per year (x3) and I would expect Kimbrel to get the same if not more. I think it's very possible that Eovaldi will get 20+ saves this year.

Comment

Twins sign Jonathan Schoop & Ronald Torreyes

Comment

Originally posted by cleo View Post
                  Wade Davis is getting $17.3 mil per year (x3) and I would expect Kimbrel to get the same if not more. I think it's very possible that Eovaldi will get 20+ saves this year.
                  When Wade Davis signed that contract he already had 76 saves in 305 appearances as a relief pitcher over 6 years. Eovaldi has 0 saves in 8 relief appearances in his career.

There are certainly cases where teams convert a starter to a relief pitcher, but that is last resort. It could happen to Eovaldi, but if we are honest it's not going to be this year. You don't pay $17 million to try to convert a guy into a closer. If you wanted to pay $17 million for your closer you'd go get an established closer.

That said, if you are hoping that Barnes is the Red Sox closer, Eovaldi is not the problem, but there are going to be others. I suspect they will sign at least one arm for the back of the bullpen that makes it unlikely that Barnes is their closer during the season.

Comment

Twins sign Jonathan Schoop & Ronald Torreyes
                    $7.5mm 1 year deal for Schoop. That seems like it's worth it if only for the small chance he returns to his 2017 form.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                      $7.5mm 1 year deal for Schoop. That seems like it's worth it if only for the small chance he returns to his 2017 form.
                      And it proves the Brewers were correct in that Schoop was going to fleece them in arbitration for a much higher salary.

Comment

Mike Napoli announced his retirement.
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Miguel Montero has "pretty much retired".
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I think I'll retire from MLB tomorrow.

Comment

Billy Hamilton to the Royals, 1 yr, $5.25m

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                                I think I'll retire from MLB tomorrow.
                                With the Baines announcement you might have a chance at the HoF.

Comment

Working...
                                X