Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Anti-vaxxers

Flu shots are different from other vaccinations, and I would stay away from labeling someone who doesn't believe in annual flu shots as an anti-vaxxer.

People should be free to decide whether they get flu shots or not, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Teenwolf View Post
    Flu shots are different from other vaccinations, and I would stay away from labeling someone who doesn't believe in annual flu shots as an anti-vaxxer.

People should be free to decide whether they get flu shots or not, I think.
    This wasn't about a flu shot, it was about treating a baby with flu. And crowdsourcing medical treatment advice for a sick child on Facebook - particularly from a herd of medicine/science doubters - is just awful.

This has nothing to do with anyone's adult decision to get a flu shot or not.

Here's the deets:

One recent post came from the mother of a 4-year-old Colorado boy who died from the flu this week. In it, she consulted group members while noting that she had declined to fill a prescription written by a doctor.

The child had not been diagnosed yet, but he was running a fever and had a seizure, the mother wrote. She added that two of her four children had been diagnosed with the flu and that the doctor had prescribed the antiviral Tamiflu for everyone in the household.

“The doc prescribed tamiflu I did not pick it up,” she wrote.

Tamiflu is the most common antiviral medication prescribed to treat the flu. The drug can ease symptoms and shorten the length of illness, but concerns about side effects are common even outside anti-vaccination echo chambers. The flu has hit children particularly hard this season. Pediatric hospitalization rates are higher than normal, and 68 children have died, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
    If your child is sick and you see the doctor and the doctor prescribes medicine and then you decline to give the medicine to your child while instead seeking advice from parents in an anti-vax group … ugh, I just don't see how anyone can defend that. I'm shaking as a parent.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Fly View Post
    This wasn't about a flu shot, it was about treating a baby with flu. And crowdsourcing medical treatment advice for a sick child on Facebook - particularly from a herd of medicine/science doubters - is just awful.

This has nothing to do with anyone's adult decision to get a flu shot or not.
    The article does a poor job of differentiating, as it mentions both her refusal to vaccinate as well as her refusal to fill a prescription. I thought I would point out the danger in lumping these actions together.

A study by the American Academy of Family Physicians found that 59 percent of parents said their child had missed the flu shot at least once due to “misinformation or misunderstanding.”

[...]

The mother’s recent posts have now been deleted from Stop Mandatory Vaccination, but in group posts going back to 2017 she said she had not vaccinated her children from the flu.
    See what I take issue with?