Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-vaxxers

Make my blood boil.

At least 30 such billboards have appeared in West Virginia, New York, Missouri and elsewhere, prompting concerns among medical experts.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Me as well. And I find this is an area where the majority of the anti-data, anti-science, anti-factual, conspiracy-minded thinking is coming from people on "the left".

Comment

anti-vaxxers need to be publicly shunned, no religious exemptions, only medical
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I never get the flu shot....

but I do have concerns about not vaccinating kids against things like small pox and other things.
        It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
        Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
          Me as well. And I find this is an area where the majority of the anti-data, anti-science, anti-factual, conspiracy-minded thinking is coming from people on "the left".
          I think this one grabs people from all over the political spectrum.

The one that I think "the left" really grabs onto is the GMO conspiracy.
          "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
          - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
          - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
            I think this one grabs people from all over the political spectrum.

The one that I think "the left" really grabs onto is the GMO conspiracy.
            That's interesting. I think both issues grab people from both sides, but my perception is anti-vaxxers lean more privileged left than the GMO issue, only because I do know some righty folks who don't like the idea of scientists messing around with food. But yeah, both issues are more lefty issues, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
              On this, we agree.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I'm with you on this one.

When I went to Iraq in 2004 I needed to get 17 different immunizations. In a tropical zone, there are even more. I was lucky that, as a civilian, I could refuse some of the anthrax shots.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Time for NJ to assert a compelling State interest to revoke all but specific medical exemptions from mandatory measles vaccination?

LAKEWOOD -
                  New Jersey health officials have confirmed two more cases of measles in Ocean County.

The Lakewood outbreak now has six cases, with another seven people suspected of having the virus.

The outbreak is tied to a person who recently returned from an overseas trip to Israel.

The Ocean County Department of Health says that hundreds of people have gotten the measles vaccine since the outbreak started.

Health officials are working to identify and notify people who may have been exposed during this time.

Measles is a highly contagious disease. Symptoms include rash, high fever, cough, runny nose and red, watery eyes.

Infected people may develop symptoms as late as Nov. 22.

Anyone who thinks that they may have been exposed should contact a medical professional before seeking treatment in order to limit unnecessary exposure.

The religious exemption is intended for people who hold a sincere religious belief opposing vaccination to the extent that if the state forced vaccination, it would be an infringement on their constitutional right to exercise their religious beliefs. A state must have a "compelling State interest" before this right can be taken away. Limiting the spread of serious communicable diseases has been defined as a "compelling State interest" in court cases after the 1905 U.S. Supreme Court decision Jacobson v. Massachusetts affirmed the right of states to mandate smallpox vaccine.

In a number of state court cases setting precedent on the issue of vaccine mandates, the freedom to act according to one’s religious beliefs is subject to reasonable regulation, if exercise of personal religious beliefs substantially threatens the welfare of society as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                    Time for NJ to assert a compelling State interest to revoke all but specific medical exemptions from mandatory measles vaccination?
                    Definitely.
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Comment

in California we have had several cases where Whooping Cough has shut schools down, particularly anti-vax Waldorf schools
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

This is boring. Everyone here agrees that vaccinations are a good thing.

That said, my wife will not get a flu shot.

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                          This is boring. Everyone here agrees that vaccinations are a good thing.

That said, my wife will not get a flu shot.

J
                          And everyone here agrees that borders should not be open. Yet, here we are.
                          Last edited by TranaGreg; 11-08-2018, 03:52 PM.
                          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

In a number of state court cases setting precedent on the issue of vaccine mandates, the freedom to act according to one’s religious beliefs is subject to reasonable regulation, if exercise of personal religious beliefs substantially threatens the welfare of society as a whole.
                            The bolded statement is where the slippery slope comes in. Where do we draw that line?
                            "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                            - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                            - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                              The bolded statement is where the slippery slope comes in. Where do we draw that line?
                              Public health vastly outweighs personal religious/anti-science beliefs IMO.
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                              X