Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What is your single biggest worry/fear of Trump?

Quote Originally Posted by onejayhawk View Post
    It wouldn't work. Have you looked over the Democrat's choice of candidates? Hillary has a real chance of getting the nomination again, disastrous as that would be.

I have said it before. Ted Cruz will be the next President. What is uncertain is the year.

J
    J I will make any bet you want that Cruz is not our next President.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
    I think I actually answered that question. I would be very supportive of Romney as. GOP option. I’ve said the Bloomberg, notwithstanding his age is a “moderate” “Democrat” I could get behind. I think there are others. Oddly, when I take that “which candidate should I vote for” test, I was closest to Hillary. Yuck!

Here’s and unpopular comment, but I was a GWB guy. He and his administration are much maligned because of the economic crisis that was many years in the making.
    Hillary was as moderate as they come so I'm not surprised. A Republican friend is a huge Bloomberg fan but there's no way he survives the primaries. My money is on former Massachusetts Gov Deval Patrick, who is close with Obama.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

I thought that Cruz isn't eligible because he was born in Canada?
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.
    Some people think he's playing chess when actually his aides are trying to stop him from eating the pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by TranaGreg View Post
    I thought that Cruz isn't eligible because he was born in Canada?
    McCain was born in Panama.

both eligible
    36th yr in same 12-team NL 5x5
    horrendous final week dropped me from a shot at 3rd to 6th
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

2020 candidates (keep up to 11)
    SP Scherzer 44, Samardzija 1, CSmith 1, Cueto 1, Marquez 10, Eflin 10
    RP Stanek 8
    C Realmuto 13, C Posey 12, 1B Votto 27, 1O Belt 10, 1O Beaty 10, SS BCrawford 9
    OF CDickerson 17, O1 Cooper 10, Dyson 8

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid Teenwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    I've come to like GWB the person. But I can't wrap my head around any argument for him being anything but a disastrous president based solely on the boondoggle of a war. The Iraq War was the epitome of the failure of neoconservativism. It seems now that almost everyone agrees that war was not good for America or the world. That is such a large stain on his presidency, it overwhelms all else to me.

That said, that fact that Kanye West called him out as not caring about black people for his admitted failure in responding to Katrina, while he now stands by Trump offends me and must infuriate Bush. Bush was a compassionate conservative whose failures I attribute to incompetency not lack of decency. He seems like a good and caring man, light years ahead of Trump in terms of heart and morality. But I'm surprised there is anyone left that would defend his presidency given how central the Iraq War was to it.
    Agree on the first part.

As for Kanye, it looks like he's flip-flopping and starting to acknowledge that he's been used as a tool for Republicans... ie, looks like Ye is back on his meds!

I think the types of Democrats who could appeal to mainstream Republicans are governors with relatively low profiles still outside of their home states, e.g., Hickenlooper or Bullock. Biden also has the potential to appeal to blue collar rust belt voters who begrudgingly chose Trump over Clinton, but Sanders might be able to do that, too, with a strong economic message.

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid Long John's Avatar
    I would support Sanders or Biden if I got a better understanding of their goals as President. However, I think the majority of Americans will view them as being too old for the job. Sanders is 77. Biden turns 76 shortly. That's 79 or 78 before they would take office. I think that makes it difficult for them to gain acceptance. I have to think a younger moderate candidate will emerge.

As for the thread topic, many of my biggest fears with Trump have already been realized. He has little self-censorship. And while that may make for great television, it is not a good quality in a POTUS. To come out and say anything flippant when a massacre has occurred is the latest in a long line of quick quips that are just inappropriate. A clear sign of this is the amount of White House staff turnover during his first term. When the sailors are abandoning ship on their own, even in rough seas, the captain is to blame.

ETA: I agree that Bloomberg will not survive the primaries.
    "What does three up and three down mean to you airman?!"
    "End of an inning?"

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid Bernie Brewer's Avatar
    South of the Cheedar Curtain, in the land of the FIBs
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Jude View Post
    McCain was born in Panama.

both eligible
    Um, McCain is no longer eligible (although some would argue that Reagan served for several years after being dead!) Wait, too soon?
    I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by B-Fly View Post
    I think the types of Democrats who could appeal to mainstream Republicans are governors with relatively low profiles still outside of their home states, e.g., Hickenlooper or Bullock. Biden also has the potential to appeal to blue collar rust belt voters who begrudgingly chose Trump over Clinton, but Sanders might be able to do that, too, with a strong economic message.
    I know a fair amount about Hickenlooper. He strikes me as another Martin O'Malley--competent but too boring to win.

Wouldn't Bullock have to be a Democrat in most of the states? In any event, not nearly liberal enough to be nominated.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Quote Originally Posted by Long John View Post
    ETA: I agree that Bloomberg will not survive the primaries.
    he's the only democrat I know of that I'll give a chance and listen to.