Voted today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voted today...

Voted today...Texas early voting...the line was about an hour long. Feels good that have that done. I encourage everyone to go forth and do likewise.
    If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Voted Monday. It was kind of sad to have no ballot initiatives.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I like to have as much information as possible before I vote on Election Day in case something comes up until that day that would impact my vote.

it has taken what, 10 years or so for that to be seen as the ravings of a lunatic?

we will have an election in the next 10 years, btw, where some irrefutable event occurs/is revealed in the last day or two that would have changed not the result of some races but possibly even some control of a chamber - or even the Presidency. but too many people will have voted too soon, and we'll be stuck with some frustrating results.*

the best counter-argument for that is "listen, I like my team's laundry better, so if my local Congress person is caught with a dead boy or a live girl on video, I wouldn't even consider changing my vote anyway."

Trump actually previewed this 2 years ago with his "Fifth Avenue" comment. it was pathetic then and now, but it's becoming increasingly bipartisan.

I'll leave a light on for you guys - you'll be back home someday, and all will be forgiven!

(* - to the extent that polls will be too backed up on Election Day itself, I would propose a major increase in polling places in all of those places. there's no reason we can't expend enough resources to allow everyone in a practical circumstance on that day. obviously those in the military, hospitals, caregivers, people on business trips etc always have been the exception.)

I'll get pushback, which is fine.

but would anyone object to allowing voters to hit the polls NOW for the 2020 Presidential race? no? how about the day after the second major candidate is officially nominated months ahead of Election Day?

if now is too soon for 2020, then as the old joke goes, all we're quibbling about is the price.
      Last edited by Judge Jude; 10-26-2018, 09:56 PM.
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
        I like to have as much information as possible before I vote on Election Day in case something comes up until that day that would impact my vote.

it has taken what, 10 years or so for that to be seen as the ravings of a lunatic?

we will have an election in the next 10 years, btw, where some irrefutable event occurs/is revealed in the last day or two that would have changed not the result of some races but possibly even some control of a chamber - or even the Presidency. but too many people will have voted too soon, and we'll be stuck with some frustrating results.*

the best counter-argument for that is "listen, I like my team's laundry better, so if my local Congress person is caught with a dead boy or a live girl on video, I wouldn't even consider changing my vote anyway."

Trump actually previewed this 2 years ago with his "Fifth Avenue" comment. it was pathetic then and now, but it's becoming increasingly bipartisan.

I'll leave a light on for you guys - you'll be back home someday, and all will be forgiven!

(* - to the extent that polls will be too backed up on Election Day itself, I would propose a major increase in polling places in all of those places. there's no reason we can't expend enough resources to allow everyone in a practical circumstance on that day. obviously those in the military, hospitals, caregivers, people on business trips etc always have been the exception.)

I'll get pushback, which is fine.

but would anyone object to allowing voters to hit the polls NOW for the 2020 Presidential race? no? how about the day after the second major candidate is officially nominated months ahead of Election Day?

if now is too soon for 2020, then as the old joke goes, all we're quibbling about is the price.
        I voted on Wednesday but you have given me some very good food for thought for the future. The possibility of a potential scandal breaking would likely change my vote....I guess I should wait. I do like the convenience of walking in and walking out though.

Comment

In case you hadn't noticed JJ, one side is actively working to reduce the number of polling places, particularly in certain non-white areas. Of course there should be more polling places open, but since there aren't, criticizing people for voting early is, well not very judicial .
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
            In case you hadn't noticed JJ, one side is actively working to reduce the number of polling places, particularly in certain non-white areas. Of course there should be more polling places open, but since there aren't, criticizing people for voting early is, well not very judicial .
            if someone votes early because they otherwise have reason to believe they won't be able to vote, and they lament that situation, I get it.

but back to the topic: is there any point, any point at all, where early voting is "too early?"
            if so, where - roughly, if need be - is that point?

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Voted today. Wife dragged me, I always vote election day but this year I suspect turn out will be bonkers, and rather vote early than miss voting or get stuck on a 4 hour line. It is much more likely that I will get sick (and I rarely get sick) or get hit by a truck or otherwise incapacitated (again, never happen) than one of the people I am voting for ends up with a dead hooker in their trunk and makes me regret vote. Within 2 week window or less is a big spread, closer to election is better, but somewhere within 2 weeks is reasonable in assuming no major revelations that will make one regret their vote.

Comment

fair enough.

Illinois is 40 days before, Ohio 35, Maine 30-45, California 29, Indiana 28, Tennessee 20, etc. of course some of those are in-person absentee, but still.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/electio...ly-voting.aspx

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
                X