Rate my NBA fantasy team coming out of the draft auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rate my NBA fantasy team coming out of the draft auction

First the team, then the story. It's a 12-team, 8-category (no turnovers) roto league, with $200 auction budget for 10 starters (2C, 4F, FG) and 6 bench players. Here's my squad (no keepers for me this year):

G J.Harden 56
    G J.Butler 30
    G B.Beal 29
    G J.Lamb 1
    F J.Randle 11
    F K.Anderson 7
    F J.Parker 6
    F C.Osman 2
    C D.Ayton 37
    C J.Valanciunas 15

Bench: P.Siakam, F.VanVleet, M.Harkless, W.Hernangomez, N.Bjelica, J.Hart (all $1)

So while my budget was around what I planned, including being in dollar days for the bench, the players are different as I reacted to pricing in draft.

I was targeting either Davis or Harden, both of whom I had around $10 more valuable than everybody else for our roto format at $74 and $71. Since no one in the history of our league had ever spent more than $66 on a player, I figured I'd be guaranteed a discount. I planned to toss out Westbrook early, as he was the one "first rounder" I didn't want to touch, because of injury risk and FG%. It seemed like no one else wanted him much either, as he went for only $43 (I had him valued at $48 and figured other owners would have him closer to $60 which was his price last year.) John Wall (another guy I didn't really want) also went too cheap at $33 (valued at $40), so I figured folks were saving their big money for big men and I'd be going Harden rather than Davis. So when Harden was tossed I nabbed him at $56, so a $15 "savings". (The first-round bigs all went higher - Davis for $62, KAT for $60 and Giannis for $58. LeBron was 55, Durant 53, Jokic 51, Curry 50, George 50 - I think Harden is the best priced of all of them, unless you prefer Westbrook.)

Then the guards continued to fall below value, so my next two purchases were Beal at $29 (valued at $37) and Butler at $30 (valued at $41 even with an assumption of 11 games missed due to trade drama). Meanwhile, the non-kept bigs were going above my values, so I realized I'd need to overpay, but had trouble pulling the trigger. Embiid , Drummond and Capela were kept. Gobert went for $35 (in retrospect, I should have bid $36, but had him valued at $30), Draymond for $37 (valued at $24), Aldridge for $27 (valued at $23), Vucevic for $17, M.Gasol for $21 (didn't want b/c FG%). So suddenly I'm looking at a draft board where Deandre Ayton was the only C left who I really wanted, and as a result, I ended up in a bidding war and acquired him at $37 (valued at $26). Not great to risk that much on a rookie, but his preseason has been awesome, the Suns don't have any reason not to feature him, he doesn't kill FT%, and if he turns out to be anywhere close to as good as he's looked in preseason, he'd still potentially be a keeper next year at $47.

So I was still obviously chasing bigs, but got a few lucky lands (IMO) because other owners are afraid of paying for non-starters. I think Julius Randle was a good buy at $11 and Jabari Parker potentially a great buy at $6. I paid full center value for Valanciunas $15 (but again wanted center stats without tanking FT% - I won't go anywhere near DeAndre Jordan or Dwight Howard, and it's largely why I couldn't pull the trigger on Gobert). I was very, very pleased to snag Lamb at $1 - he just has a great game for roto formats - worth $16 on my board. And then finished up with Kyle Anderson and Cedi Osman.

I hedged against Valanciunas with the Siakam bench pick, but he's looked so good in preseason I may have no problem playing both guys together. The rest of my bench is pretty lame, unless Cody Zeller gets hurt (as he often does), in which case Hernangomez will be gold.

In retrospect, I assumed with Harden and Beal that I didn't have to chase 3PM and am probably weak there with little contribution from my Fs and Cs. And I may be a bit weak on assists with no pure PG. But I think overall I'm in pretty solid shape.

You have a lot of the same guys I am targeting - Harden, Butler, Beal, Ayton, Anderson, Lamb, Osman...so it cant be too bad, right? Harden to me is clearly the top player this year with Davis close behind. Everyone else is a significant step down imo. If I had a worry, it would be about your bigs. You are really thin there, and if Ayton struggles at all to adjust or because he is on PHO, your team suffers tremendously. It feels like you have a ton of stats all in the Ayton basket.

I think most of the weakness is tied to Randle and Parker. That said, I have very little faith in the productiveness of the TOR front line (JV, Siakam and Ibaka). If it were me I would be dialing up the heat on trying to trade Parker for a big before the rest of the world realizes that a. Chicago isnt going to start him, and b. he really isnt that good anyway. Or better yet, trying to trade Randle, because I truly dont believe he will keep that starting gig over Mirotic.

Overall, a solid team...Hope that helps!

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
      You have a lot of the same guys I am targeting - Harden, Butler, Beal, Ayton, Anderson, Lamb, Osman...so it cant be too bad, right? Harden to me is clearly the top player this year with Davis close behind. Everyone else is a significant step down imo. If I had a worry, it would be about your bigs. You are really thin there, and if Ayton struggles at all to adjust or because he is on PHO, your team suffers tremendously. It feels like you have a ton of stats all in the Ayton basket.

I think most of the weakness is tied to Randle and Parker. That said, I have very little faith in the productiveness of the TOR front line (JV, Siakam and Ibaka). If it were me I would be dialing up the heat on trying to trade Parker for a big before the rest of the world realizes that a. Chicago isnt going to start him, and b. he really isnt that good anyway. Or better yet, trying to trade Randle, because I truly dont believe he will keep that starting gig over Mirotic.

Overall, a solid team...Hope that helps!
      Thanks, Pauly! I'm a bit higher on Randle and Parker this year than you, but agree that I have a lot of risk up front, particularly to the extent I'm so heavily reliant on Ayton and JV for boards, blocks and FG%. I do think Randle will get plenty of minutes even off the bench if he's essentially the primary sub at both the 4 and the 5. He and Kyle Anderson should help my assists, too.

Comment

Im hearing more and more rumblings that Parker will only play the 4 in Chicago and it is confirmed he will be behind Portis to start the season. Once Markkanen returns, that means he is getting 12 minutes per game at best. I would move him

Comment

Yeah, I think your team might be the favorite coming out of the auction. Getting Lamb at $1, Osman at $2, and Anderson at $7 were fantastic gets. I guess there is some uncertainty with Butler and the rookie Ayton, but if they play as well as expected, your team looks very strong.

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
            Yeah, I think your team might be the favorite coming out of the auction. Getting Lamb at $1, Osman at $2, and Anderson at $7 were fantastic gets. I guess there is some uncertainty with Butler and the rookie Ayton, but if they play as well as expected, your team looks very strong.
            By my projections, your team looks solid as well, particularly in RBD, BLK, FG% and PTS. I'm glad you like Osman, but he was my fallback after you "stole" Gay from me.

Comment

Parker both intrigues and terrifies me. Word is he might come off the bench now? $20 mil for a 6th man is wacky.
              If Parker can play 30+ minutes nightly he will post some nice all around numbers with FT% being a bit of a hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Riff Raff View Post
                Parker both intrigues and terrifies me. Word is he might come off the bench now? $20 mil for a 6th man is wacky.
                If Parker can play 30+ minutes nightly he will post some nice all around numbers with FT% being a bit of a hit.
                Me as well. I was looking at trade possibilities based on Pauly's reasoning, but most of them probably wouldn't get me the all around production that I know Parker can get at anywhere close to 30 mpg.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                  First the team, then the story. It's a 12-team, 8-category (no turnovers) roto league, with $200 auction budget for 10 starters (2C, 4F, FG) and 6 bench players. Here's my squad (no keepers for me this year):

G J.Harden 56
                  G J.Butler 30
                  G B.Beal 29
                  G J.Lamb 1
                  F J.Randle 11
                  F K.Anderson 7
                  F J.Parker 6
                  F C.Osman 2
                  C D.Ayton 37
                  C J.Valanciunas 15

Bench: P.Siakam, F.VanVleet, M.Harkless, W.Hernangomez, N.Bjelica, J.Hart (all $1)

So while my budget was around what I planned, including being in dollar days for the bench, the players are different as I reacted to pricing in draft.

I was targeting either Davis or Harden, both of whom I had around $10 more valuable than everybody else for our roto format at $74 and $71. Since no one in the history of our league had ever spent more than $66 on a player, I figured I'd be guaranteed a discount. I planned to toss out Westbrook early, as he was the one "first rounder" I didn't want to touch, because of injury risk and FG%. It seemed like no one else wanted him much either, as he went for only $43 (I had him valued at $48 and figured other owners would have him closer to $60 which was his price last year.) John Wall (another guy I didn't really want) also went too cheap at $33 (valued at $40), so I figured folks were saving their big money for big men and I'd be going Harden rather than Davis. So when Harden was tossed I nabbed him at $56, so a $15 "savings". (The first-round bigs all went higher - Davis for $62, KAT for $60 and Giannis for $58. LeBron was 55, Durant 53, Jokic 51, Curry 50, George 50 - I think Harden is the best priced of all of them, unless you prefer Westbrook.)

Then the guards continued to fall below value, so my next two purchases were Beal at $29 (valued at $37) and Butler at $30 (valued at $41 even with an assumption of 11 games missed due to trade drama). Meanwhile, the non-kept bigs were going above my values, so I realized I'd need to overpay, but had trouble pulling the trigger. Embiid , Drummond and Capela were kept. Gobert went for $35 (in retrospect, I should have bid $36, but had him valued at $30), Draymond for $37 (valued at $24), Aldridge for $27 (valued at $23), Vucevic for $17, M.Gasol for $21 (didn't want b/c FG%). So suddenly I'm looking at a draft board where Deandre Ayton was the only C left who I really wanted, and as a result, I ended up in a bidding war and acquired him at $37 (valued at $26). Not great to risk that much on a rookie, but his preseason has been awesome, the Suns don't have any reason not to feature him, he doesn't kill FT%, and if he turns out to be anywhere close to as good as he's looked in preseason, he'd still potentially be a keeper next year at $47.

So I was still obviously chasing bigs, but got a few lucky lands (IMO) because other owners are afraid of paying for non-starters. I think Julius Randle was a good buy at $11 and Jabari Parker potentially a great buy at $6. I paid full center value for Valanciunas $15 (but again wanted center stats without tanking FT% - I won't go anywhere near DeAndre Jordan or Dwight Howard, and it's largely why I couldn't pull the trigger on Gobert). I was very, very pleased to snag Lamb at $1 - he just has a great game for roto formats - worth $16 on my board. And then finished up with Kyle Anderson and Cedi Osman.

I hedged against Valanciunas with the Siakam bench pick, but he's looked so good in preseason I may have no problem playing both guys together. The rest of my bench is pretty lame, unless Cody Zeller gets hurt (as he often does), in which case Hernangomez will be gold.

In retrospect, I assumed with Harden and Beal that I didn't have to chase 3PM and am probably weak there with little contribution from my Fs and Cs. And I may be a bit weak on assists with no pure PG. But I think overall I'm in pretty solid shape.
                  3 raptors. you warm my heart.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                    3 raptors. you warm my heart.
                    LOL. Thanks. I wanted no part of Serge Ibaka, who went for $13, but had no problem taking JV or Siakam. I'm not particularly worried about whether JV starts every night, as long as he's heavily involved in the offense when he's on the floor, which I suspect he will be - perhaps even more so if he's logging significant time with the "second unit". JV ends up on my team a lot because I am always looking for centers who can give me great FG% while also making at least 75% of their free throws. VanVleet may not be able to match last year's production if folks stay healthy, but with Delon already dealing with an injury, he's a guy who can post great numbers when he gets minutes.

Comment

Hey B-Fly, what do you think of my team? It is a 10-team snake roto. I had the 8th pick (round in parentheses)

PG- R. Westbrook (1)
                      SG- D. Booker (3)
                      SF- O. Porter (8)
                      PF- J. Collins (6)
                      C- J. Embiid (2)
                      G- J. Murray (5)
                      F/C- R. Gobert (4)
                      UT- Lou Williams (7); J. Richardson (9); E. Fournier (10)
                      Bench - K. Anderson (11); L. Nance (12); D. Collison (13)

Comment

Hey B-Fly, what do you think of my team? It is a 10-team snake roto. I had the 8th pick (round in parentheses)

PG- R. Westbrook (1)
                        SG- D. Booker (3)
                        SF- O. Porter (8)
                        PF- J. Collins (6)
                        C- J. Embiid (2)
                        G- J. Murray (5)
                        F/C- R. Gobert (4)
                        UT- Lou Williams (7); J. Richardson (9); E. Fournier (10)
                        Bench - K. Anderson (11); L. Nance (12); D. Collison (13)
                        I'm worried about Westbrook as a first rounder due to his surgery and inability to return in time for the start of the season. The fact that Booker and Collins also are questionable as we start the season is scary. I love your other picks though, and can't believe you were able to get Porter, Williams, Richardson, Anderson and Nance, in particular, as late as you did. If Westbrook, Booker and Collins are okay and none of them miss a substantial chunk of the season, I think you'll be in outstanding shape.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                          I'm worried about Westbrook as a first rounder due to his surgery and inability to return in time for the start of the season. The fact that Booker and Collins also are questionable as we start the season is scary. I love your other picks though, and can't believe you were able to get Porter, Williams, Richardson, Anderson and Nance, in particular, as late as you did. If Westbrook, Booker and Collins are okay and none of them miss a substantial chunk of the season, I think you'll be in outstanding shape.
                          Thanks...I was super happy with it.

The big one is Westbrook, especially because I had the choice between him and Steph (and of course he went OFF last night). But RW has had like 4 arthroscopics on his knee and has been fine every time. Plus I read he is looking at playing this Friday right before I picked, so I couldnt pass it up...I might regret it of course. I just wanted to root for/watch RW this year so I can keep hating on GSW Plus, Melo's departure should be a godsend to OKC.

As for Collins, I knew about his ankle problem, but there were pretty much no other PF left on the board besides Aaron Gordon, and I think Collins is going to blow up this year. I can wait a handful of games for a sprained ankle...plus I am in Atlanta so needed a reason to watch the Hawks games every night.

Hope we both clean up!!!

Comment

Thanks...I was super happy with it.

The big one is Westbrook, especially because I had the choice between him and Steph (and of course he went OFF last night). But RW has had like 4 arthroscopics on his knee and has been fine every time. Plus I read he is looking at playing this Friday right before I picked, so I couldnt pass it up...I might regret it of course. I just wanted to root for/watch RW this year so I can keep hating on GSW Plus, Melo's departure should be a godsend to OKC.

As for Collins, I knew about his ankle problem, but there were pretty much no other PF left on the board besides Aaron Gordon, and I think Collins is going to blow up this year. I can wait a handful of games for a sprained ankle...plus I am in Atlanta so needed a reason to watch the Hawks games every night.

Hope we both clean up!!!
                            LOL, those are completely understandable reasons. I too would have chosen Collins over Gordon, but would definitely have grabbed Steph over Westbrook even if Westbrook were healthy, just for his huge 3PM advantage and sizeable FG%/FT% advantages.

Good luck!

Comment

as a Bulls fan - I don't think they'll start Portis over Jabari Parker, Portis loves being the designated scorer on the second team, but when Parker and LaVine and Markkanen and Dunn and Carter are all on the floor that's a lot of guys who want the ball in their hands. I think something will have to change and I have no idea what it'll be.

also, https://www.blogabull.com/2018/10/17...-chicago-bulls
                              Last edited by mjl; 10-17-2018, 07:31 PM.
                              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Working...
                              X