Hot topic arguments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot topic arguments?

Do you participate in Hot Topic arguments because they are fun and you enjoy the challenge?

Do you participate in Hot Topic arguments because you think they make a difference either to others or to yourself?

Or is there some other reason that you would like to share?

I think the Hot Topic arguments have gone WAAAAAY down since NakedRicci left.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Fun and I enjoy the challenge. In the Sports Bar, I think you had to keep it civil or someone would say “hey, I’m leaving.” But in here, it’s a breath of fresh air. If you waded in, you know what you’re getting into.

So far, I have to deem it a success, no?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        Fun and I enjoy the challenge. In the Sports Bar, I think you had to keep it civil or someone would say “hey, I’m leaving.” But in here, it’s a breath of fresh air. If you waded in, you know what you’re getting into.

So far, I have to deem it a success, no?
        I would deem it as a success.

I would still like to see it more civil. I think the name calling is a distraction meat of the hot topics.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          I would still like to see it more civil. I think the name calling is a distraction meat of the hot topics.
          Agree, I think it's a good forum for discussion and seeing others' opinions on controversial topics is helpful. When we all agree it's boring.

Like you, I also don't think the personal attacks ever do any good. It's always strange to find that some people can't get their head around the idea that others have a different, and equally valid, experience. And when that leads to character attacks it's not productive.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
            ... When we all agree it's boring.

Like you, I also don't think ...
            just had to point this out ...
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
              just had to point this out ...
              Jerk

Comment

All of the above and more. Discussing and debating controversial societal issues can be fun and interesting and a challenge. It helps me better understand other points of view. It sometimes drives me to be more thoughtful and precise and to do more research in drawing my own conclusions on issues. And I do think that respectful and thoughtful debate can influence the thoughts and conclusions of others sometimes. Y'all know I don't really go for name calling or other personal attacks, but I don't think anyone should be afraid to strongly defend their positions or values on a particular issue.

Comment

Fwiw, I also think that for every entrenched poster on here there are probably a handful of lurkers who maybe don't have quite as strong positions and maybe are open to other points of view. At least I'd like to think so.
                  It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                    Jerk
                    Hey, my original post was gonna be something like "I wanted to comment on your second paragraph but I couldn't get through it without falling asleep ... ".

Comment

Hey, my original post was gonna be something like "I wanted to comment on your second paragraph but I couldn't get through it without falling asleep ... ".

I was expecting you to note that my "jerk" comment was not productive, keeping the witticism going...

Comment

jerk............
                        It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                        Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Fwiw, I also think that for every entrenched poster on here there are probably a handful of lurkers who maybe don't have quite as strong positions and maybe are open to other points of view. At least I'd like to think so.
                          I rarely post but love reading the differing points of view. I tend to lean left on most items so I agree with some posters more than others but I still enjoy reading the other points of view.

Comment

It is a combo for me. I learn from them, which is why I read them. But I could learn without posting, so obviously, I also want to engage and be heard. I do that with the hope of learning more sometimes, and often because I hope I can sway others. Mostly that is on one topic that I feel passionately about, which is our current president. I rarely posted outside of the baseball forums before the rise of Trump. I imagine I will post less in hot topics once he is gone, unless things stay this bad or get worse, which I hope won't happen.

Comment

in many cases I am horrified and disappointed in what I see a significant portion of RJers posting. I get that I live in a liberal, educated bubble, but man, RJ often is my solo window to the dark side of selfishness that just disgusts me in many ways.
                              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                              X