Which player would you want to be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which player would you want to be?

Would you rather be the star/great player on a terrible team (any type of team, not just sports...chess, debate, etc..) or a crappy player on a championship team?

I would choose to be the star player. If the rest of the team sucks, at least I'm damn good.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Given how turrrrible I was at team athletic sports, I'd settle for crappy player on championship team. Only team activity I was remotely close to a star on was chess, and I was a mere shadow of the player that Cavebird was/is.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Depends how big the team/bench is. After six seasons of vintage baseball, I can tell you that not being a starter bites. I'd much rather be a starter on a bad team than sit on the bench and watch the team win. If I'm still playing and I'm just not one of the good players on a winning team, that's fine.
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
        Depends how big the team/bench is. After six seasons of vintage baseball, I can tell you that not being a starter bites. I'd much rather be a starter on a bad team than sit on the bench and watch the team win. If I'm still playing and I'm just not one of the good players on a winning team, that's fine.
        He specifically said "crappy" player so I assume that means minimal impact/pt. I'd rather be the star who gets to have fun all season/career, rather than an insignificant piece on a championship team. Sure, it's fun to celebrate, but it's more fun to be awesome...and rich.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

well, he also said "any kind of team". my softball team only has 10 people on it, so it doesn't matter how bad I actually am, I'm playing every game, I'm just lower in the batting order. but my vintage baseball team has 13 guys so there are a lot of games where I only play 2-3 innings.
          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I would like to be someone good enough that Mith would post about me on RJ one night after I went 0-4 and tell me how much I suck.

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
              I would like to be someone good enough that Mith would post about me on RJ one night after I went 0-4 and tell me how much I suck.
              Winner!
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

You suck!!

That is one hilarious post!
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  He specifically said "crappy" player so I assume that means minimal impact/pt. I'd rather be the star who gets to have fun all season/career, rather than an insignificant piece on a championship team. Sure, it's fun to celebrate, but it's more fun to be awesome...and rich.
                  Yep.

A number of years ago I was the worst bowler on our 5 man team. I carried a 199 ave. that was fun. It would not have been fun if I carried a 165 ave.

Assuming crappy is really crappy, I would pick being a great player.

Comment

Love this one! Well played.

Comment

I'd rather be the crappy player on the championship team, because I'd get win the championship, and still be better than 99.999999 of the world at what I did. Plus, I'd do a bunch of interviews so my teammates wouldn't have to deal with the press
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                      X