Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soccer?

Soccer?

Surprised we don't have a forum here (or at least a set of posts) following EPL / Champions League.

No one here follows it?

I started following Liverpool this year and it's a blast.

Back in the mid 90's I started to follow the EPL as it was the only league that had games on any channel that i was getting with my satellite dish. The team that was on the most at that time was ManU so i became a fan. I followed the EPL, the other European Leagues and the Champions League pretty closely until about the mid- 2000's. Since then I don't watch much soccer, but still follow the sport. I have no interest in the United States League (whatever it is called)

Of course I always tune into the World Cup.

I also watched all of the NY Cosmos' games back in the 1970's!
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Played a bit many years ago, got serious about following the EPL while working in the UK. Went to two matches at Trafford Park. That was followed by a stint with two Italian companies, but I could never get into Serie A; too many drama queens and diving going on. Serie C soccer in Italy is something to watch, more for the buildup to the match among regional rivals than the actual matches. I've never seen as many Carabinieri as I did lining the route to Lucca's stadium for a match between they and Pisa.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid Piney Boy's Avatar
    Go Reds!
    Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Hall of Famer
    When my daughters were young I bribed them with horseback riding lessons to forget about soccer. I hate soccer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    When my daughters were young I bribed them with horseback riding lessons to forget about soccer. I hate soccer.
    That's expensive bribery. You must REALLY hate soccer.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by chancellor View Post
    That's expensive bribery. You must REALLY hate soccer.
    I do.

We have a local stable about a mile from our house. I don't remember how much it was, but it was reasonable. Worth every penny to dodge the soccer bullet...twice.

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid hacko's Avatar
    My youngest Daughter played soccer so I enjoyed watching it much to the disgust of my siblings. I have 3 grandkids that play it now I think in 20 years it will replace the NFL which is becoming more of a video game ever year. This years World Cup was fantastic !!!

Quote Originally Posted by hacko View Post
    My youngest Daughter played soccer so I enjoyed watching it much to the disgust of my siblings. I have 3 grandkids that play it now I think in 20 years it will replace the NFL which is becoming more of a video game ever year. This years World Cup was fantastic !!!
    With the surge in e-Sports, becoming more of a video game wouldn't have a negative impact these days.

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid hacko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    With the surge in e-Sports, becoming more of a video game wouldn't have a negative impact these days.
    That is probably true. Instead of real players in 2040 we will have The Madden NFL league.

More and more Parents are keeping thier kids out of pee wee football tho and a lot of high school numbers are down. So the feeder system might dry up