No announcement yet.

LeVeon Bell Holdout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't recall Emmitt Smith with any shenanigans - more a serious businessman than a prima donna - and that seems to make a difference.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Indeed. It is rumored that James Conner is auditioning for a permanent gig as RB1. Cleveland's D is a tough opening question.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
        Emmitt Smith did this in the 1990s. He held out two games, both losses, and Jerry Jones caved.
        J
        That works except there was no franchise tag.

Since Bell was tagged and didn't get a long term deal worked out, there's literally nothing that can be gained, contract wise, with this holdout. He either reports and plays or he doesn't, there's no negotiation here.

Comment

Word is he will report tomorrow, which means he gets paid for game one without suiting up, ie taking the hits. Probably won't be 100% for game two.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

My auction was Aug 20, when there was no chatter that he’d do anything differently from what he did last year. So I bought Bell but didn’t think to get Conner. Argh.
            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
              Word is he will report tomorrow, which means he gets paid for game one without suiting up, ie taking the hits. Probably won't be 100% for game two.

J
              If I am the coach he would be suiting up and taking lots of hits.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                Do you mean that he should be playing in the game?
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Why? Because he finally is using the only hammer that he's got to get a long term deal? I never fault the player in situations like these, it's such a short career, they need to maximize the amount of guaranteed money they get. And Bell has already taken lots of hits for the club...who knows what he'll be like at the age of 45? Old football players with all of their faculties are rarer that you'd think.
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

And he missed today's deadline, meaning he won't get paid for Week 1, so you can strike him for this week at least.

Now it's getting hairy. If he doesn't report next week, then he stands a good chance to be out until Week 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                      Why? Because he finally is using the only hammer that he's got to get a long term deal? I never fault the player in situations like these, it's such a short career, they need to maximize the amount of guaranteed money they get. And Bell has already taken lots of hits for the club...who knows what he'll be like at the age of 45? Old football players with all of their faculties are rarer that you'd think.
                      A long term deal is a pipe dream, so I would not put any weight on that.

As Ed says, it may be week 10.

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                        If I am a coach old football players and what he will be like at age 45 is not my concern. His contract is not my concern.

As players, agents, and General Managers like to say after salary negotiations: "its just business." As a coach it is my business to win games. If he helps win games he would be playing. He does help win games, he would be be playing.

Comment

Yes.

Comment

"Steelers brass is moving forward as if running back Le'Veon Bell will not available for at least the first four-to-six weeks of the season, according to league sources, and have been given no indication the Pro Bowl running back will be reporting anytime soon.

Bell has yet to sign his $14.5 million franchise tag and seems intent on skipping a substantial portion of the season -- and forgoing those game checks -- to mitigate the risk of injury as he pursues a record contract elsewhere in the offseason. The Steelers placed the franchise tag on Bell for a second straight year, with Bell walking away from an offer that would have paid him $48 million over the first three years.

Neither Bell, nor his agent Adisa Bakari, have given team officials any indication as to when Bell plans to return. Once he failed to show up to practice this week, they began bracing for him to miss multiple games and are operating as if he will skip a considerable amount of time. Some are guessing at least a month, and it would not be a total shock if in fact he waited until Week 10 to return just in time to secure his free-agent status at the end of the season and prevent his contract from tolling. (Texans left tackle Duane Brown took the same approach a year ago, while still under contract, before getting dealt at the trade deadline.)"

Comment

If I am a coach old football players and what he will be like at age 45 is not my concern. His contract is not my concern.

As players, agents, and General Managers like to say after salary negotiations: "its just business." As a coach it is my business to win games. If he helps win games he would be playing. He does help win games, he would be be playing.
                              If that's the attitude that Coaches and GM's have, I couldn't support the player more. These are future quality of life issues here, players who may be crippled by age 50, or have CTE...

I'll never forget how tormented Junior Seau was...so much so that he shot himself in the chest to save his brain for study.

I'll be on the players side every damn time...
                              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Bell played high-stakes poker - and he lost.
                                he needs to fold his cards, and move on.

oh, James Conner had a pretty fair game today in his place today - 31 carries, 135 yards. 6 catches, 52 yards. you think those linemen furious with Bell weren't super-motivated?

I'm not anti-player, I'm just anti-stupid.
                                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                                X