Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LeVeon Bell Holdout?

Big Leaguer
    I took him at 4 in one league. Now I'm sweating, although I did get Conner later in the draft, so hopefully that mitigates the loss to some extent.

He went 6 in my draft last night, which was pretty ballsy as the news seems to get worse and worse with each passing day.

Big Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by umjewman View Post
    He went 6 in my draft last night, which was pretty ballsy as the news seems to get worse and worse with each passing day.
    Maybe it's a bad philosophy but my plan for R1 is to avoid picking a player that will cause me to lose the season. There's the old adage, not sure how true it is but... 1st round picks can't win your league but they can lose them.

I'm all about risk avoidance early in FF. And given the information right now, there's no way I'd pick him in the first round an a half. Somewhere in round 3 or later maybe I can afford that risk. But I'd really rather it just be someone else's problem. And if he still goes in round 1, even better.

Big Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Maybe it's a bad philosophy but my plan for R1 is to avoid picking a player that will cause me to lose the season. There's the old adage, not sure how true it is but... 1st round picks can't win your league but they can lose them.

I'm all about risk avoidance early in FF. And given the information right now, there's no way I'd pick him in the first round an a half. Somewhere in round 3 or later maybe I can afford that risk. But I'd really rather it just be someone else's problem. And if he still goes in round 1, even better.
    I should clarify. He went 6 in my draft last night to someone else. Not to me. I took Zeke at #9 (start 2 QBs in that league, so draft gets more QB heavy).

good context here from someone on the Steelers beat

Aditi Kinkhabwala
    ‏Verified account @AKinkhabwala
    2h2 hours ago

LeíVeon Bellís teammates have had his back through one arrest, two suspensions and two off-season holdouts. Theyíve had his back through his showing up late to a playoff walkthrough, his threatening retirement and his strip club video. Letís not suddenly forget that.
    just finished my 35th year in 12-team NL 5x5
    AVG collapse in Sept left us finishing 4th
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

UPDATED! 2019 keeper candidates (can keep up to 11)
    SP Kershaw 42, AWood 5, CSmith 1
    RP Jeffress 1, Dominguez 10, Knebel 2
    C Realmuto 13, 3B Longoria 15, 2B Kendrick 8, 2S Hanson 10
    OF Harper 41, Eaton 18, CarGo 14, FCordero 10

I also got Bell and Conner. Emmitt Smith did this in the 1990s. He held out two games, both losses, and Jerry Jones caved. We'll see what happens here. For my team, it's the difference between being favored and being the underdog. I hop JuJu bails me out.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

I don't recall Emmitt Smith with any shenanigans - more a serious businessman than a prima donna - and that seems to make a difference.
    just finished my 35th year in 12-team NL 5x5
    AVG collapse in Sept left us finishing 4th
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

UPDATED! 2019 keeper candidates (can keep up to 11)
    SP Kershaw 42, AWood 5, CSmith 1
    RP Jeffress 1, Dominguez 10, Knebel 2
    C Realmuto 13, 3B Longoria 15, 2B Kendrick 8, 2S Hanson 10
    OF Harper 41, Eaton 18, CarGo 14, FCordero 10

Indeed. It is rumored that James Conner is auditioning for a permanent gig as RB1. Cleveland's D is a tough opening question.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Big Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by onejayhawk View Post
    Emmitt Smith did this in the 1990s. He held out two games, both losses, and Jerry Jones caved.
    J
    That works except there was no franchise tag.

Since Bell was tagged and didn't get a long term deal worked out, there's literally nothing that can be gained, contract wise, with this holdout. He either reports and plays or he doesn't, there's no negotiation here.

Word is he will report tomorrow, which means he gets paid for game one without suiting up, ie taking the hits. Probably won't be 100% for game two.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

My auction was Aug 20, when there was no chatter that he’d do anything differently from what he did last year. So I bought Bell but didn’t think to get Conner. Argh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.