Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RHD's Latest Top 150 Roto Prospects ("Pre-BA League Top 20s" Version)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone explain the love for Luis Urias as a prospect. Over 1750 AB and 17 hrs (about 1 every 100 AB), with 35 SB and caught 38 times. No speed and not much power. I don't get the love he's getting in prospect rankings.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
      Someone explain the love for Luis Urias as a prospect. Over 1750 AB and 17 hrs (about 1 every 100 AB), with 35 SB and caught 38 times. No speed and not much power. I don't get the love he's getting in prospect rankings.
      He has excellent on-base skills and I think the thought is that he could have a similar trajectory to Jose Ramirez, who showed very little power in the minors. Urias doesn't have Ramirez's speed but there are prospects who add a lot of power at the major league level and I think that's the thought with Urias.

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
        He has excellent on-base skills and I think the thought is that he could have a similar trajectory to Jose Ramirez, who showed very little power in the minors. Urias doesn't have Ramirez's speed but there are prospects who add a lot of power at the major league level and I think that's the thought with Urias.
        I certainly don't think that is something that can be logically predicted.

Comment

I certainly don't think that is something that can be logically predicted.
          Agreed but .296/.398/.447 with 45 extra base hits in 533 PA's at AAA as a 21 year-old is very promising.

Comment

Agreed but .296/.398/.447 with 45 extra base hits in 533 PA's at AAA as a 21 year-old is very promising.
            PCL is an extreme hitters league, be leery.

Comment

I'm just passing along what others see in him. Sickels has compared him to Freddy Sanchez with a better walk rate, which seems fair. He seems like a guy who could end up going .290/.375/.450 for many years while playing good defense, which is very valuable. Guessing he's ultimately a 12 hr/10 sb guy but he's young so who knows. He'll probably be a better actual baseball player than fantasy player.

Comment

I'm just passing along what others see in him. Sickels has compared him to Freddy Sanchez with a better walk rate, which seems fair. He seems like a guy who could end up going .290/.375/.450 for many years while playing good defense, which is very valuable. Guessing he's ultimately a 12 hr/10 sb guy but he's young so who knows. He'll probably be a better actual baseball player than fantasy player.
                That's what I was referring to. I don't see him as a great fantasy player, but a few others like him have surprised us.

Comment

This reminds me of my posts in this same thread (previous iteration) about J.P. Crawford. I agree on the "better actual player than fantasy player" perspective.

Lindor is another counter example as well though.

So here's the question - how do we do a better job at identifying the Ramirez/Lindor types early and differentiate them from the glove first SS that will always be a glove first SS?

Comment

It can be. Now that it covers so much territory it isn't what it once was.

The Padres AAA affiliate is in El Paso, which is a hitters park but not an extreme park--runs are 1.178. Their AA affiliate is in San Antonio, which is a pronounced pitchers park--0.802. What you would expect, and we see, is significantly more HR in El Paso. Since that is still in single digits, no one is excited. What is interesting is that BA and OBA are the same in AA and AAA.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                      It can be. Now that it covers so much territory it isn't what it once was.

The Padres AAA affiliate is in El Paso, which is a hitters park but not an extreme park--runs are 1.178. Their AA affiliate is in San Antonio, which is a pronounced pitchers park--0.802. What you would expect, and we see, is significantly more HR in El Paso. Since that is still in single digits, no one is excited. What is interesting is that BA and OBA are the same in AA and AAA.

J
                      If you compare AA and AAA though the change in Ks jumps off the page. Seems like you gotta mention that if you are mentioning the BA/OBP similarities.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        If you compare AA and AAA though the change in Ks jumps off the page. Seems like you gotta mention that if you are mentioning the BA/OBP similarities.
                        On that, we agree. That said, he's a 21-year-old player in AAA. He didn't embarrass himself.

The key is that he is a valuable baseball player rather than a valuable fantasy player. He'll be a solid #2 hitter for the Padres, play solid defense, score a bunch of runs and never be a top 50 fantasy player.
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                          On that, we agree. That said, he's a 21-year-old player in AAA. He didn't embarrass himself.

The key is that he is a valuable baseball player rather than a valuable fantasy player. He'll be a solid #2 hitter for the Padres, play solid defense, score a bunch of runs and never be a top 50 fantasy player.
                          This about sums him up.

Comment

I have Lourdes, Urias and Hampson in my minors and am curious how you would rank them for this year and future. Who would roster and who would you dangle as trade bait? Seems like Lourdes should move right into the MI spot and 1 or both of the others could bring something valuable in return. I noticed Lourdes wasn't even on this list last year. He was #86 in 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by KnuckleBalls View Post
                              I have Lourdes, Urias and Hampson in my minors and am curious how you would rank them for this year and future. Who would roster and who would you dangle as trade bait? Seems like Lourdes should move right into the MI spot and 1 or both of the others could bring something valuable in return. I noticed Lourdes wasn't even on this list last year. He was #86 in 2017.
                              Thanx for the response. I wouldnt project Lourdes to get regular PT, since Travis and Galvis project to be the MI starters. He wasnt on last year's list because he had a horrible 2017 and practically noone had him on their lists. He's been very up and down since coming to the US and I would rank him last. Both Urias and Hampson currently are projected to have at least a share of the starting gig and I'm more intrigued by Hampson. Urias is ranked higher by the experts but might not offer too much in roto as he doesnt have much power or speed. Hampson is a threat for a lot of SBs. But I guess I'd rank Urias first in deference to the scouts and because he figures to get more PT, at least at first.

Comment

What are thoughts on Joey Bart? Where would you rank him?

Comment

Working...
                                X