Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
    How much does it cost? and bullets? accessories? I really have no idea

and what do you plan on using it for? I know that this has changed around during the process for you.
    This is something my wife likes to do with me. She is a bit amazed that she finds it as much fun as she is having. The plan is to shoot about twice a month.

We pay $50 per month for membership at the range. It gives us unlimited range time. It also gives us free gun rental. Ammo costs us approx. $20-$25 per session total. We spend about $100.00 per month on shooting.

My wife's pistol out the door was $436.00. It takes .380 ammo. cost is about 30 cents a round.

Mine is a 9mm which is a bigger bullet but the most mass produced. It is about 15 cents a round. My pistol was $806.00 out the door.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      This is something my wife likes to do with me. She is a bit amazed that she finds it as much fun as she is having. The plan is to shoot about twice a month.

We pay $50 per month for membership at the range. It gives us unlimited range time. It also gives us free gun rental. Ammo costs us approx. $20-$25 per session total. We spend about $100.00 per month on shooting.

My wife's pistol out the door was $436.00. It takes .380 ammo. cost is about 30 cents a round.

Mine is a 9mm which is a bigger bullet but the most mass produced. It is about 15 cents a round. My pistol was $806.00 out the door.
      So it isounds like it is really nothing more than expensive bowling (which I know you like) for you and your wife - and I dont mean that in a negative way. You only do it at the range or alley - and when it is done you go home.
      It didnt become a "bring it home for self defense thing" right?

Comment

I am not a gun guy—never held one, never wanted to but I do find your posts fascinating. Thanks for sharing in a way that makes your experience relatable.

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
          So it isounds like it is really nothing more than expensive bowling (which I know you like) for you and your wife - and I dont mean that in a negative way. You only do it at the range or alley - and when it is done you go home.
          It didnt become a "bring it home for self defense thing" right?
          Well my bowling league costs more per time than my wife's and my shooting. Equipment not included.

Tonight my league fee will be $25, then $5 for king of the hill and mystery pot. Then we play a team card game that costs $2 per game (but I win enough to break even or win a little). So bowling is about $140 per month vs shooting at $100 (for both of us).

As far as home defense, it is part of the equation but not as much as I originally thought. The sport aspect of it far exceeds the defense.

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
            I am not a gun guy—never held one, never wanted to but I do find your posts fascinating. Thanks for sharing in a way that makes your experience relatable.
            Thank you.

I am surprised how different the journey is than I imagined.

Comment

We went back to the shop to order my H&K P30L and they were out of them. They looked on line and their distributors were out of them. No information as to when they would be available. The owner of the shop said she would find one but it might take a couple of weeks.

I made some calls to all of the H&K distributors in Illinois. No one had them, and there were several stories/rumors ranging from discontinuation to a large overseas government contract preventing this model to be made for 3-6 months. They all agreed there were none to be found.

I decided that I would call some individual shops in the hopes that they might have one left in their display case. Around the 15th call I found one an hour and a half away. They would not give me a price on the phone. I drove there only to find that their price was 360 bucks more than what I was quoted originally. Supply and demand I guess. I ended up calling another 10-15 shops losing hope that I would be able to find one. I finally found one in Plainfield Illinois. They had one at normal price. My wife and I went there Saturday did the paper work and paid for the gun.

The paper work said I could pick it up a 3:31 on Tuesday (3 day waiting period down to the minute). Got a call from the shop at 8:30 yesterday saying that my background check was not complete and I had to hold off. They said it is not uncommon around the holidays.

I believe them as I purchased my wife's gun in November without issue.
              I was able to pick up my H&K yesterday afternoon. This shop had more red tape than the shop where I bought my wife's pistol. Not particularly a bad thing, not particularly a good thing. Took an extra half hour.

After that they went through the safety stuff and the workings of the gun including how to break it down for cleaning. I find the mechanics of the gun interesting. It is both simple and complicated. I am sure with practice it will become easier.

We will go tomorrow after work to give it try.

Comment

My wife and I went to the range Friday early evening to try out my new H&K P30L. Set the target for 21 feet. First shot was 6 inches low left. Second shot scored a bullseye. Fired a pretty good grouping and was well satisfied.

My wife hit 3 bullseyes with my gun. She liked it but went back to her own .380. I think we each fired 50 rounds.

At the end of the session I decided to try shooting 5 long shots. I set sent the target down 60 feet. It was far enough that I could not see the bullet holes in the paper. I aimed for a general area of the target that was unused. I hit one out of five in the area that I was trying to hit. Two of the other four were low left. The other two were off enough that they either mixed in with the other bullet holes or I missed the target entirely. Next time I will use a fresh target so I can be sure of where they hit. I like long shots.

After shooting we went to Stone Creek Grill and had their Mexican Pizza. It was great. We talked about our shooting. We laughed at how fun this is as well as how life takes funny turns.

Sunday my wife worked on this year's budget. When she was finished we went over it. I said you are forgetting the most important thing. She said you are right, I forgot the dog food. Nope you forgot to budget the bullets! In 2019 we are budgeting bullets. Never saw that coming.

Comment

The last time we went shooting was about two weeks ago. We tried to go Saturday but I came down with food poisoning or some weird flu.

I got a .22 revolver in 1970-71. It is a High Standard Marshall. Looks like a cowboy six shooter. It holds 9 rounds of .22 long rifle. I don't remember ever shooting it. It was in an old dresser drawer in the basement. I got it out and took it with us to the range.

It has very little kick and doesn't make a lot of noise. Bullets are cheap. Both my wife and I enjoyed shooting it. I did not notice much difference in accuracy between it and our higher caliber hand guns. I think this is good as it means we are doing some things technically pretty sound.

This was my second time shooting my H&K and I was more accurate. I had more bulls eyes than the first time.

The exact center of the target has an X. I put one right in the middle of that cross from 21 feet. Only one but still had the thrill of making the shot.

My wife did not have her best day, but still very good. It seems for her the difference between a good day and not is about two inches. Her grouping was tight but left and a hair low.

We won't be able to go this coming weekend as I am out of town. Maybe we can go for Valentines Day. Chocolates and bullets!

Comment

It has very little kick and doesn't make a lot of noise. Bullets are cheap. Both my wife and I enjoyed shooting it. I did not notice much difference in accuracy between it and our higher caliber hand guns. I think this is good as it means we are doing some things technically pretty sound.

Or it might give you buyer's remorse on the $700 purchase recently

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                      Or it might give you buyer's remorse on the $700 purchase recently
                      Good one.

In fairness I hit the center of the x with the H&K.

Comment

I gave my wife chocolates and bullets for Valentines Day. She said best Valentines gift ever.

We are going to the range in a few hours to make use of the gift and to celebrate my birthday. Then we are bringing home Lou Malnati's Deep Dish Pizza for dinner and a movie.

I am going to try some one handed shooting tonight. This is a defensive maneuver (that I hope I never have to use). It is also a safety measure as we have to know what to expect if it comes down to it. I have no idea of how accurate I will be.

Comment

Mmm, Lou Malnati's....

Sausage or spinach?
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                            Mmm, Lou Malnati's....

Sausage or spinach?
                            Sausage and it was delicious! We also got one of the large salads as a side dish.

Comment

I gave my wife chocolates and bullets for Valentines Day. She said best Valentines gift ever.

We are going to the range in a few hours to make use of the gift and to celebrate my birthday. Then we are bringing home Lou Malnati's Deep Dish Pizza for dinner and a movie.

I am going to try some one handed shooting tonight. This is a defensive maneuver (that I hope I never have to use). It is also a safety measure as we have to know what to expect if it comes down to it. I have no idea of how accurate I will be.
                              It was suggested that we practice some close one handed shooting at 5 feet. When I set the target at 5 feet this seemed way to close. I am trying to be honest with my thoughts and feelings throughout this journey. My ego got in the way. I think I would have been embarrassed to be the only one shooting on the range at 5 feet. I told myself I should shoot at my normal distance to see how much difference there would be.

I shot one handed at 21 feet. This is the distance we use for two handed or general pistol target practice. I was no where near as accurate as my two handed shooting. All but one shot hit the target. The one that missed hit the target paper but was outside the actual target. The shots were all over the board with no discernible grouping. I will shoot one handed at 5 ft. next time out. 10 shots minimum.

I did fire 15 shots at 60 feet. All were within the target. I was pretty happy with that. Ever since I was kid with my pellet gun and then my .22 rifles I enjoyed the long shot. I have no idea what kind of grouping I can get to with a little practice.

I fired 50 rounds of 9mm and 45 rounds of .22. This seems to be a comfortable number at this time. I want to get better at 21 feet so I will probably limit my long shots to 10 per outing.

In right handed two handed shooting (my right hand pulls the trigger) you are supposed to push hard towards the target with your right hand and pull back hard with your left hand. My index finger is on the front of the trigger guard. This creates a firm foundation leading to more accuracy.

I employed this technique with my .22 revolver and found myself shooting about 2 inches high above the bulls eye. When we were done I asked one of the workers why that was happening. He said that indicates my grip was too strong for that caliber of hand gun. He said to keep it up with my 9mm and loosen up just a bit with the .22. I will give it a go next time out.

I have to say both my wife and I are delighted on how accurate that old timey western .22 revolver is. She was all over the bulls eye with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                                Gregg, let us know how the fun aspect of it plays out for you. While I don't have a desire to own a gun, I must say, I consider it a bucket list item to at least shoot one. I've handled them before, and shot bb guns as a kid, but I've never fired a real fire arm. It is surprisingly difficult to do that in my area. You have to join a club and stuff, and all I want to do is rent a pistol, get some training and fire it a few times at a target just to know what it is like.
                                If you ever find yourself in the Chicago or Milwaukee area with a bit of spare time, I would be happy to take you as my guest to the range. As my guest you do not need any permits to shoot there.

The shots are on me.

The last time I made that statement it had quite a different meaning and was a very long time ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X