Entering into the world of hand guns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    Is that the same thing as some guy compensating with a really expensive car?
    The Dirty Harry thing...yeah, pretty much.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Interesting book coming out by the former #2 in the NRA. He calls for background checks and real dialogue, and says the NRA is all about money and internal intrigue and power more than 2nd Amendment rights, and block meaningful dialogue about common sense reforms: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/in...oXo?li=BBorjTa

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        Interesting book coming out by the former #2 in the NRA. He calls for background checks and real dialogue, and says the NRA is all about money and internal intrigue and power more than 2nd Amendment rights, and block meaningful dialogue about common sense reforms: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/in...oXo?li=BBorjTa
        At first I read that as "NBA", which didn't make much sense but was far more intriguing.
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
          .. and all of this is allowed just in case there is a corrupt government that needs to be overthrown ...
          Not for me and most of the people I know that are pro gun. For us it is about protection, fun, and freedom.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
            Is that the same thing as some guy compensating with a really expensive car?
            I am sure it is for some, but not most.

If we start with the premise that guns are going to be carried, we could make a list as to the pros and cons of both.

For myself, I would rather conceal as I do not want the bad guy to know I have a gun. Timing in the worst possible scenario is very important.

I also know that a gun on my hip cowboy style is much more comfortable than any concealed holster is. It is also more accessible if I have to move fast to defend someone or myself. But the bad guy is going to already know I am a potential threat to his criminal plan. I lose the element of surprise.

Wisconsin is an open carry state. I spend a good bit of time there. I never see anyone outside of a gun shop or hunting ever have a gun in plain site. If the people I know are carrying, they have their concealed permit and do so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              Not for me and most of the people I know that are pro gun. For us it is about protection, fun, and freedom.
              Nice to see an honest take ... every gun control discussion always reverts back immediately to the second amendment - which of course has nothing to do with personal protection or fun (I suppose one could argue it's about freedom, but I suspect what you mean by freedom is different from what freedom the second amendment is trying to protect).
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Nice to see an honest take ... every gun control discussion always reverts back immediately to the second amendment - which of course has nothing to do with personal protection or fun (I suppose one could argue it's about freedom, but I suspect what you mean by freedom is different from what freedom the second amendment is trying to protect).
                Not specifically the fun part. But it does protect our right to own and bear arms for our personal protection. This idea of self protection predates the Constitution. There is plenty on line and can do a better job of explaining than I can.

I also envision that we would be standing shoulder to shoulder with the military back then rather than against it. Then again they/we were English citizens as the paper work was being drawn up.

Comment

• I bought my first investment grade handgun a couple of weeks ago using the Buy Low and will eventually sell High philosophy.

It is a mint never fired 1974 revolver. It comes with an immediate profit of somewhere between $500-1000 profit if I were to sell it today. It is rare to find one in this condition. We will not shoot it, but it is fun to own.

I have no interest in selling it now. I will re-evaluate it next year. My wife and I have discussed keeping it in the family and passing it down.

It will never be worth less than we paid for it if we keep it mint and unfired.

Comment

I bought my first investment grade handgun a couple of weeks ago using the Buy Low and will eventually sell High philosophy.

It is a mint never fired 1974 revolver. It comes with an immediate profit of somewhere between $500-1000 profit if I were to sell it today.

Slightly confused by this description. If it is worth $X, how did you buy it for $X-$500? And, that's not really an example of buy low right? Buy low means that you are buying at a specific time because the value of some item has gone down. But if you are buying it for $X-$500 in a marketplace, then that is it's value (not $X). Since the person who would buy it from you for $X should instead just go buy it for $X-$500 using the same source you did.

Are you mixing the concepts of "I got a great deal on this item" with "the market is down so I should buy low"?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                      Slightly confused by this description. If it is worth $X, how did you buy it for $X-$500? And, that's not really an example of buy low right? Buy low means that you are buying at a specific time because the value of some item has gone down. But if you are buying it for $X-$500 in a marketplace, then that is it's value (not $X). Since the person who would buy it from you for $X should instead just go buy it for $X-$500 using the same source you did.

Are you mixing the concepts of "I got a great deal on this item" with "the market is down so I should buy low"?
                      Interesting point, I am not sure.

Worth a chat.

I think getting a great deal and buying low can be one in the same, but does not have to be.

In stocks and fantasy baseball buying low would what you are describing. The market is down and everyone can buy at the same price. More "gambling" and speculating involved.

I suppose the kind of buy low sell high I was describing is more like retail arbitrage than stocks or fantasy baseball. When I posted the profit numbers I was getting market value from a couple of gun selling sites. One of them auction (with some buy it now prices) one with straight up this is the price take it or leave it. Add in a dash of one of my buddies collects this particular pistol. We have had general discussions of what it would cost for me to buy a "shooter." Shooter means not mint in some cases mechanically sound but not very pretty. Retail arbitrage requires a knowledge on where to buy low and have an outlet to sell at a profit.

I was able through a contact to purchase this particular pistol well under the going rate of very good condition examples. I am not sure but I also do not believe this was listed or advertised for sale anywhere. The fact that this is a mint and unfired gun makes it rare and more valuable. Not everyone can own one like this. But almost anyone can own one in good condition. It will cost them more than I paid for this one. This is why I can say with extreme confidence that I will be able to sell high.

I have told my friend (and contact) that I have a list of four more guns that I want to buy some day. One of those I want to shoot the other 3 for investment/collectability. In order for me to purchase them they will have to be buy low or if you prefer a good deal.

I am new at this, doing quite a bit of studying and enjoying this aspect of guns. I appreciate the question allows me to chat about guns. Thank you.
                      Last edited by Gregg; 09-27-2020, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                        The Dirty Harry thing...yeah, pretty much.
                        Funny you should mention this. The gun in Dirty Harry is one of the most collectible "modern day" hand guns and is on my list for the future.

The gun Harry used was a Smith and Wesson model 29-2. That model goes all the way to 29-10. All model 29 .44 mags retain value. But the 29-2 is the one that is most collectible.

The 29-2 was offered in Blue or Nickel finish. The Harry gun is blue. You can date the gun by serial number. Dirty Harry came out in 1971. There are several stories about the gun out there. The one that seems most feasible is that Clint Eastwood contacted Smith and Wesson and had them build up two for the movie. This would make 1971 as the best year for the Dirty Harry connection. I hope to find the right gun at the right price. I am not sure what that looks like yet.

I did see one recently that was a 1971 unfired and mint condition. it is the only one I ever saw in this condition. It was way too rich for my blood (6 to 7 times what a solid one would cost).

Smith and Wesson came out with a Stainless Steel version called the 629. I own a 629-3 (1984) that is one of my shooters. It kicks like a mule. It is not considered a collectible, but I should be able to shoot it and get back what I have into it.
                        Last edited by Gregg; 09-27-2020, 04:23 PM.

Comment

• Ammo is becoming scarce. If you can find it all there will be a premium to buy it.

The most common caliber is 9mm most places are out of it. In 2019 the price per was about $15 for a box of 50. Now the price is $35 and up. Our local range is out of them at this time.

My wife and I are still living in the house (Covid reasons) she inherited from her parents. I contacted the closest range to this house. They will not sell 9mm unless you are renting range time. Then they limit you to two boxes per person. They quoted me $23 per box. In this current time that is a great deal.

My wife and I are celebrating our 32 anniversary today. We are going to mask up and go shooting.

We will be buying two boxes each of the 9mm. I plan on shooting one and saving the other three. Two for another time and one for safety reasons (which I hope to never have to use).

We will also buy 2 boxes of .380 one for her to shoot and one to save. These are also pretty scarce.

If I knew then what I know now would I have bought bulk (500-1000 rounds) probably so. Certainly would have saved us a lot of money. And maybe covered us until prices come back down to reasonable.

If I could buy 1000 rounds of each caliber today at the prices of Jan.1st 2020 would I. Yes I would. Just because I like shooting with my wife and would like to continue to do so.

We will take 6 guns of various calibers today (small to large). Probably will only shoot 5 shots with the .44 Mag certainly no more than 10. I will pass on the .22. Shooting the majority with my .357.

I expect Mrs. Gregg to shoot mostly her .380 with some .22. May step up to some .357 we will see.
                          Last edited by Gregg; 10-22-2020, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Ammo is becoming scarce. If you can find it all there will be a premium to buy it.
                            Typically these supply runs are fear based. I bet if you wait a few weeks we'll be back to normal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                              Typically these supply runs are fear based. I bet if you wait a few weeks we'll be back to normal.
                              of course, unless there are more fears that percolate ... 'tis the season ...
                              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

of course, unless there are more fears that percolate ... 'tis the season ...
                                ... for some good coffee?

Comment

Working...
                                X