Entering into the world of hand guns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    It was suggested that we practice some close one handed shooting at 5 feet. When I set the target at 5 feet this seemed way to close. I am trying to be honest with my thoughts and feelings throughout this journey. My ego got in the way. I think I would have been embarrassed to be the only one shooting on the range at 5 feet. I told myself I should shoot at my normal distance to see how much difference there would be.

I shot one handed at 21 feet. This is the distance we use for two handed or general pistol target practice. I was no where near as accurate as my two handed shooting. All but one shot hit the target. The one that missed hit the target paper but was outside the actual target. The shots were all over the board with no discernible grouping. I will shoot one handed at 5 ft. next time out. 10 shots minimum.

I did fire 15 shots at 60 feet. All were within the target. I was pretty happy with that. Ever since I was kid with my pellet gun and then my .22 rifles I enjoyed the long shot. I have no idea what kind of grouping I can get to with a little practice.

I fired 50 rounds of 9mm and 45 rounds of .22. This seems to be a comfortable number at this time. I want to get better at 21 feet so I will probably limit my long shots to 10 per outing.

In right handed two handed shooting (my right hand pulls the trigger) you are supposed to push hard towards the target with your right hand and pull back hard with your left hand. My index finger is on the front of the trigger guard. This creates a firm foundation leading to more accuracy.

I employed this technique with my .22 revolver and found myself shooting about 2 inches high above the bulls eye. When we were done I asked one of the workers why that was happening. He said that indicates my grip was too strong for that caliber of hand gun. He said to keep it up with my 9mm and loosen up just a bit with the .22. I will give it a go next time out.

I have to say both my wife and I are delighted on how accurate that old timey western .22 revolver is. She was all over the bulls eye with it.
    My wife and I went shooting yesterday...still fun.

I set the target at 5 ft. It seemed like I was standing right on top of it. No doubt I could hit it. I decided to move it back to 7 ft. I leaned my gun hand on the shelf in front of me and pulled it up and fired 5 shots as fast as I could. All hit the target. The first one was a bit low left the other four were in a grouping of about 10 inches in diameter. I was pleased with the results for shooting fast and one handed. I also understand that this is quite different than if I had to draw it from a holster and in a stressful situation.

One thing I am learning about guns from a defensive position is that it is more about muscle memory than thinking. Both my wife and I are in a much better position should the need arise to defend our home than if we just went and bought a gun out of fear and had no practice. Truth be known we cannot get to our guns and load them fast enough to help us should we have the need. 125lb Fergus is our home protection. I am not sure if that will change in the future or not.

We still have not sent in the paper work for conceal and carry. I do believe we will but we are not in a hurry.

I found out our range has classes for drawing your weapon. One of the classes is for conceal and carry the other is for western fast draw. One sounds necessary and the other sounds fun. It is my understanding they use wax bullets so no one can hurt themselves. We didn't have time to get into the details of either, but we will find out what the classes entail in the upcoming weeks.

My groupings remain pretty tight (21 feet) with a fair amount in the bulls eye and some low left. I am seeing improvement, but I still haven't shot out the center as I want to. More practice is needed.

My wife still has the tightest grouping. She has drifted a little left. She was able to work it back in towards the end of the session. She did not have the issue with the .22 and was all over the bulls eye. This would indicate that she is anticipating the recoil on her .380. Came out of the session all smiles and having fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi.I'm.Mandy View Post
      That's a good question. If Gregg is old he might have bad eyesight or shaky hands. Might end up shooting the wrong person. tough question
      It is coming up on 8 months since I started this journey. I have learned a lot. And a lot of it surprised me.

I still have not sent in the paper work for my conceal and carry. I do expect to someday, just not sure when the someday will be.

It is still fun. I will say that my wife has more fun with it than I do. But I do love going with her to the range.

I am choosing to post this under Mandy's comment because the last 8 months have taught me something regarding her comment. I am positive that I would not shoot the wrong person if I was 21 feet or closer. Most "gunfights" are within 5 ft.

I will reiterate for most of all instances the proper response is to run away. But in the event that there is no other choice I have no doubt about hitting the right target.

Comment

I am positive that I would not shoot the wrong person if I was 21 feet or closer. Most "gunfights" are within 5 ft.
        Not specific to you, but shooting the person you are aiming at, and shooting the wrong person are not mutually exclusive.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
          Not specific to you, but shooting the person you are aiming at, and shooting the wrong person are not mutually exclusive.
          Plus if there is an attack or fight going on it is a little bit different than shooting at the range.
          ---------------------------------------------
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          ---------------------------------------------
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Came across this horrific story of a four year old shooting and killing his six year old sister. I wish everyone who owned a gun was as careful as Gregg is. Sadly, they are not. https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...other-62380658

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
              Thank you for the comment/feedback. I understand your point.

I never understood how someone could shoot somebody when they are hunting or shoot some family member coming home late at night. As a young man I was always taught to identify the game when hunting. You do not shoot to rustling sounds or just seeing a patch of color. If the game got away so be it. Safety first.

Shooting someone in the dark without calling out or identifying them is also hard to imagine.

I do not know what I would really do. I would hope that I would respond to an intruder the same way I would have before owning a pistol if I were so inclined as to have it accessible.

I am curious as to what any of you would do or think you would do if someone was coming in hard to your house?

Comment

I do not know what I would really do. I would hope that I would respond to an intruder the same way I would have before owning a pistol if I were so inclined as to have it accessible.

I am curious as to what any of you would do or think you would do if someone was coming in hard to your house?
                When we first moved into our house, the alarm went off around 2 AM (we have an alarm that identifies the door that was open). I woke up, grabbed a big knife and screamed something, then retreated to the bedroom with my wife and kid until the cops came.

Turned out the sensor had just fallen off the wall. But I guess that's what I'd do since that's what I did? There was no thinking, it was pure adrenaline. I've only shot a gun at a range one time (excluding paintball and water guns!) and would not feel confident in hitting anything I intended under ordinary conditions, let alone with how my heart rate was pumping that night.

Comment

... I never understood how someone could shoot somebody when they are hunting or shoot some family member coming home late at night. As a young man I was always taught to identify the game when hunting. You do not shoot to rustling sounds or just seeing a patch of color. If the game got away so be it. Safety first.

Shooting someone in the dark without calling out or identifying them is also hard to imagine. ...
                  well I think based on your explanation that you do understand ... simply put, not everyone is taught the same way that you were.
                  It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                    When we first moved into our house, the alarm went off around 2 AM (we have an alarm that identifies the door that was open). I woke up, grabbed a big knife and screamed something, then retreated to the bedroom with my wife and kid until the cops came.

Turned out the sensor had just fallen off the wall. But I guess that's what I'd do since that's what I did? There was no thinking, it was pure adrenaline. I've only shot a gun at a range one time (excluding paintball and water guns!) and would not feel confident in hitting anything I intended under ordinary conditions, let alone with how my heart rate was pumping that night.
                    Thank you for sharing this. It seems like the exact right thing to do.

I would like to think I would do the same thing.

What do you think/hope you would do if the intruder threat was real and he kicked in the door to the bedroom?

At this point we would have to attempt to defend our families hoping that our big knife and we are strong enough to take down the intruder and whatever weapon he has. If he gets past us our family is in trouble. This scenario is one of the reasons I am considering replacing the big knife in the drawer next to the bed with gun (of course taking the proper precautions).

One of differences between you and me is that I had some classes and have been practicing shooting. I would not recommend anyone get gun for home protection without taking classes and practicing. Plenty of adrenaline in the early going of the process. I know your example is a different kind, still have to overcome/control it to move ahead.

We have a two story house with the bedrooms upstairs. As of today we could not get to the guns for self protection if we were upstairs. The yelling, calling police, and big knife are still the main line of defense if they get past our big dog.

Comment

• I'm a "little dog that makes sure I'm awake/meat cleaver/brass knuckles/4 D Maglite" guy myself....my wife goes with the aluminum bat....
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                        Shooting someone in the dark without calling out or identifying them is also hard to imagine.
                        In the hunting example, I completely agree. The only way that happens is if people are cutting corners, shooting in the dark, etc.

I'm not sure about your "dark" example. I've never been in that situation, and hope to never be in that situation.

Is there an argument to be discussed that if you wait to try to fully/completely identify the perp and have a conversation with them you just gave away any advantage you have? In those moments every millisecond is priceless right? Maybe over dramatized, I don't know.

Comment

Thank you for the comment/feedback. I understand your point.
                          Thanks for taking it as intended .... wasn't trying to be snarky or anything .... I just think a whole lot of chaos ensues in such a situation.

I think I'd go the umjewmiddleageddude route. I've got the aluminum bat in the bedroom, grab that, yell some, barricade us in the bedroom and call the cops. There's nothing in my house except RJEL girl and I that can't be replaced. Then again, I've got 2 vicious cats that I'm sure would take care of any situation.
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post

You did not know that it was a sensor. For you it was as real as if you had an intruder. If we take it a step further what would you have done if the bedroom door was kicked in? Were you prepared to take a human life in defense of your family?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                              In the hunting example, I completely agree. The only way that happens is if people are cutting corners, shooting in the dark, etc.

I'm not sure about your "dark" example. I've never been in that situation, and hope to never be in that situation.

Is there an argument to be discussed that if you wait to try to fully/completely identify the perp and have a conversation with them you just gave away any advantage you have? In those moments every millisecond is priceless right? Maybe over dramatized, I don't know.
                              I hope we never have to be in that situation as well.

You make a good point about the time. It my mind I would be yelling get out of my house I am armed. I would hope that would either result in the intruder leaving or the family member yelling it is me.

Even if neither one of those happened, I would still need to be sure before I would fire. In my case the big dog should let me know. I also think the big dog combined with the safety issues we are discussing has allowed me to delay making a decision on keeping a gun nearby. Part of me thinks it most likely will never happen to us, but then that is the point right?

The other reason is I am not comfortable on how to proceed with a gun that I can get to without taking the chance that my grandson would get too curious. I cannot allow that to happen. My boss told me yesterday about a gun safe that opens with your finger print. I am going to look into that. My grandson is trustworthy, but I could not take the chance he would be too tempted. That fear is greater than gambling that intrusion will not happen to us.

I am also of the mind that I would not shoot someone taking my stuff. Defending my family is a whole different story.

Comment

You did not know that it was a sensor. For you it was as real as if you had an intruder. If we take it a step further what would you have done if the bedroom door was kicked in? Were you prepared to take a human life in defense of your family?
                                I really can't say since I was acting purely on instinct. There was 0 thought involved. I assume my primal instinct would be to protect my wife and, at that time kid (now kids), which would probably include taking a life if necessary (especially if it is him or me), but I really have no idea how I would react.

Comment

Working...
                                X