Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Entering into the world of hand guns.

Hall of Famer
    We get there at 4:09 and the place is closed!

Their web site said open until 6:00 New Years Eve. Oh well we made the best of it by picking up some sea food and beef tips to take back to the house. Feasting and movie watching is a nice way to celebrate NYE.

We will try to get over there later this week.

Hall of Famer
    We went back to the shop to order my H&K P30L and they were out of them. They looked on line and their distributors were out of them. No information as to when they would be available. The owner of the shop said she would find one but it might take a couple of weeks.

I made some calls to all of the H&K distributors in Illinois. No one had them, and there were several stories/rumors ranging from discontinuation to a large overseas government contract preventing this model to be made for 3-6 months. They all agreed there were none to be found.

I decided that I would call some individual shops in the hopes that they might have one left in their display case. Around the 15th call I found one an hour and a half away. They would not give me a price on the phone. I drove there only to find that their price was 360 bucks more than what I was quoted originally. Supply and demand I guess. I ended up calling another 10-15 shops losing hope that I would be able to find one. I finally found one in Plainfield Illinois. They had one at normal price. My wife and I went there Saturday did the paper work and paid for the gun.

The paper work said I could pick it up a 3:31 on Tuesday (3 day waiting period down to the minute). Got a call from the shop at 8:30 yesterday saying that my background check was not complete and I had to hold off. They said it is not uncommon around the holidays.

I believe them as I purchased my wife's gun in November without issue.

Big Leaguer
    Wow, persistence pays off.

What is it about that model that's unique such that you were willing to go through all that?

How much does it cost? and bullets? accessories? I really have no idea

and what do you plan on using it for? I know that this has changed around during the process for you.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Wow, persistence pays off.

What is it about that model that's unique such that you were willing to go through all that?
    It is the most comfortable hand gun that I have ever held. I was convinced i was going to get a revolver. Then I held the H&K and knew it was the one for me if the other boxes checked out. I researched the gun after that event and found it to get very high marks for all aspects of hand gun shooting.

Lastly, the icing on the cake, it is the gun of John Wick in the first movie. This in itself would have had no bearing on my selection. But it does make me smile a bit more as I am a movie buff.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    How much does it cost? and bullets? accessories? I really have no idea

and what do you plan on using it for? I know that this has changed around during the process for you.
    This is something my wife likes to do with me. She is a bit amazed that she finds it as much fun as she is having. The plan is to shoot about twice a month.

We pay $50 per month for membership at the range. It gives us unlimited range time. It also gives us free gun rental. Ammo costs us approx. $20-$25 per session total. We spend about $100.00 per month on shooting.

My wife's pistol out the door was $436.00. It takes .380 ammo. cost is about 30 cents a round.

Mine is a 9mm which is a bigger bullet but the most mass produced. It is about 15 cents a round. My pistol was $806.00 out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    This is something my wife likes to do with me. She is a bit amazed that she finds it as much fun as she is having. The plan is to shoot about twice a month.

We pay $50 per month for membership at the range. It gives us unlimited range time. It also gives us free gun rental. Ammo costs us approx. $20-$25 per session total. We spend about $100.00 per month on shooting.

My wife's pistol out the door was $436.00. It takes .380 ammo. cost is about 30 cents a round.

Mine is a 9mm which is a bigger bullet but the most mass produced. It is about 15 cents a round. My pistol was $806.00 out the door.
    So it isounds like it is really nothing more than expensive bowling (which I know you like) for you and your wife - and I dont mean that in a negative way. You only do it at the range or alley - and when it is done you go home.
    It didnt become a "bring it home for self defense thing" right?

Big Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post

I am not a gun guy—never held one, never wanted to but I do find your posts fascinating. Thanks for sharing in a way that makes your experience relatable.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    So it isounds like it is really nothing more than expensive bowling (which I know you like) for you and your wife - and I dont mean that in a negative way. You only do it at the range or alley - and when it is done you go home.
    It didnt become a "bring it home for self defense thing" right?
    Well my bowling league costs more per time than my wife's and my shooting. Equipment not included.

Tonight my league fee will be $25, then $5 for king of the hill and mystery pot. Then we play a team card game that costs $2 per game (but I win enough to break even or win a little). So bowling is about $140 per month vs shooting at $100 (for both of us).

As far as home defense, it is part of the equation but not as much as I originally thought. The sport aspect of it far exceeds the defense.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by nots View Post
    I am not a gun guy—never held one, never wanted to but I do find your posts fascinating. Thanks for sharing in a way that makes your experience relatable.
    Thank you.

I am surprised how different the journey is than I imagined.