Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 91

Thread: Entering into the world of hand guns.

  1. #1
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    28,373

    Entering into the world of hand guns.

    My wife and I have applied for and received our FOID (Firearm Owners Identification) cards.

    We have a gun shop and shooting range about a half hour from our house. We have signed up for a class this Wednesday that gives class room and range instructions. The range is running a promotion in August. Our instruction, one hour of range time, and hand gun rental are all free. We only have to purchase the ammo that we will be using.

    While we are both looking forward to this event we really do not know if we will like it as something to continue down the road.

    Time will tell.

  2. #2
    Hall of Famer B-Fly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Montclair, NJ
    Posts
    47,283
    If you don't mind sharing, what led you to decide to become handgun owners (or to at least initiate the process to become handgun owners)?

  3. #3
    Big Leaguer Teenwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,540
    I'll reserve my opinion.

    The fact is, your entire family will be at much greater risk of a shooting now than they were before. You're looking forward to that.

  4. #4
    Hall of Famer B-Fly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Montclair, NJ
    Posts
    47,283
    Quote Originally Posted by Teenwolf View Post
    I'll reserve my opinion.

    The fact is, your entire family will be at much greater risk of a shooting now than they were before. You're looking forward to that.
    LOL @ "I'll reserve my opinion". I love you, Jesse, and agree with you 90% of the time, but I'm actually going to reserve my opinion and hope he's willing to share his thought process.

  5. #5
    All Star Sour Masher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Teenwolf View Post
    I'll reserve my opinion.

    The fact is, your entire family will be at much greater risk of a shooting now than they were before. You're looking forward to that.
    The stats on this are undeniable, however, they also illustrate the limits of applying stats to individual cases. Yes, owning a gun makes it more likely you will die or be injured by a gun, whether by someone else or by your own hand. But based on my experience, that is because way too many gun owners do not engage in the careful and thoughtful training in using and storing their weapons that they should. It seems clear that Gregg does not fall into that category, so I don't think the overall stats apply directly to his living situation.

    When I was a kid, my uncle, who has been in prison for murder (using a hand gun to do it) the last 28 years, had guns laying around everywhere in my grandparents home. He used to point them at me as a joke, had me handle them without any instruction or training, etc. Once, when I was 10 and staying with them over the summer, an unarmed robber broke in and armed himself with my uncle's 9mm. He robbed us at gun point, although my fear from him was accidental firing, as he looked scared and was shaking (it didn't help that my uncle was screaming at him in Spanish that he was a pussy and that he should point the gun at him and shoot). It could have gone badly but luckily did not. I also had a friend from HS whose father had guns and one day used one of them to blow his brains out, seemingly on a whim.

    So, I certainly know about the risks of having fire arms in the house. They escalate confrontations, and provide very easy access to a way out for those feeling suicidal (guns are one of the primary reasons why successful suicide rates are 5-10x higher among men than women, despite women attempting suicide more often--men often hang or shoot themselves, which is much more effective than pills, which women often use, maybe for vanity or societal gender norms, idk).

    All that said, the overall stats are not nearly as useful in determining the increased risk of an individual. So many of the stats are skewed by irresponsible and uninformed usage and storage. I don't own a gun myself, but I certainly prefer folks like Gregg, who seems to respect the dangers they pose, and wants to seek training in their usage, own them than some of the folks I know who own them.
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 08-20-2018 at 04:09 PM.

  6. #6
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    28,373
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Fly View Post
    If you don't mind sharing, what led you to decide to become handgun owners (or to at least initiate the process to become handgun owners)?
    I do not mind sharing it. If I did I would not have posted it at all.

    I also knew before I posted it that it might not be a popular decision with this crowd. That is why I posted it in hot button rather than sports bar.

    I grew up in Wisconsin where guns and hunting were part of growing up. It was a right of passage. It was something I could do with the adults when I got old enough. We had hunting dogs, mostly pheasant hunted with some occasional duck hunting. We were not deer hunters but certainly did not mind those that did.

    Most of the gun usage was league trap shooting. My Grandfather, Uncle, Dad and I shot together from the time I was 13 to the fall of my 18th year. I stopped when I went away to college. I was very very well trained in gun safety.

    I moved to Illinois when I was about 30 years old. I never got my FOID card as there was no one to shoot with. I also didn't seek out shooters. As years went by I sometimes regretted not having the legal right to buy guns or bullets if I wanted to.

    My family and I watched the Top Gun reality tv show a few years ago. I was surprised to learn my 2 daughters and my wife thought it looked like fun. Procrastination ensued.

    My wife was at work and some of her co-workers were talking about their FOID cards. On a whim she looked it up on line filled out the paperwork and forgot about it. 4 weeks later her card came in the mail. Two weeks later I applied for mine. 4.5 weeks later mine came in the mail.

    We have decided that we think we want to shoot handguns. We are not sure yet if we will go for our conceal and carry.

    Both of my adult daughters are interested in taking some classes as well.

    So the main reason is fun.

  7. #7
    All Star Sour Masher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    5,069
    Gregg, let us know how the fun aspect of it plays out for you. While I don't have a desire to own a gun, I must say, I consider it a bucket list item to at least shoot one. I've handled them before, and shot bb guns as a kid, but I've never fired a real fire arm. It is surprisingly difficult to do that in my area. You have to join a club and stuff, and all I want to do is rent a pistol, get some training and fire it a few times at a target just to know what it is like.

  8. #8
    Big Leaguer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,127
    Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Gregg, let us know how the fun aspect of it plays out for you. While I don't have a desire to own a gun, I must say, I consider it a bucket list item to at least shoot one. I've handled them before, and shot bb guns as a kid, but I've never fired a real fire arm. It is surprisingly difficult to do that in my area. You have to join a club and stuff, and all I want to do is rent a pistol, get some training and fire it a few times at a target just to know what it is like.
    Yeah, I have no desire to own a gun, but we went to a gun range in Vegas for my bachelor party years ago and I will not deny it was fun to fire some of those guns.

  9. #9
    Big Leaguer Teenwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,540
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Fly View Post
    LOL @ "I'll reserve my opinion". I love you, Jesse, and agree with you 90% of the time, but I'm actually going to reserve my opinion and hope he's willing to share his thought process.
    I'm glad we have this "hot button topics" forum so that we can be more open about how we feel, though I still try to minimize personal offense unless directly provoked.

    I'm honestly concerned about anybody who introduces a handgun into their home. I feel it only serves as a comfort blanket for people with specific fears, and that if the gun is ever put to use, (whether brandished or fired) it has a much much higher probability of escalating damage and trauma for all parties involved than if the gun wasn't there in the first place.

    Even with well-trained and responsible people, the likelihood of accidental shootings or unnecessary escalations are far greater than if that person didn't own a handgun. I'm pretty sure every statistical data point would back me up. Even Sour Masher's anecdote backs up the common sense idea that guns escalate any situation... what if the uncle reached the gun first and blew this burglar's head off in front of 10 year old Sour Masher... yeah, technically, the "good guy with the gun" prevailed over the intruder... having a gun in the open made it necessary to be brought into play. Just like when people feel suicidal, it's brought into play. When it's brought into play, the result is almost resoundingly never an instrument for peaceful resolution.

    I respect Gregg's idea of personal responsibility is different from my own on this topic. I lament the state of your country, where people literally feel "outgunned" by those around them.

  10. #10
    Big Leaguer Teenwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    I do not mind sharing it. If I did I would not have posted it at all.

    I also knew before I posted it that it might not be a popular decision with this crowd. That is why I posted it in hot button rather than sports bar.

    I grew up in Wisconsin where guns and hunting were part of growing up. It was a right of passage. It was something I could do with the adults when I got old enough. We had hunting dogs, mostly pheasant hunted with some occasional duck hunting. We were not deer hunters but certainly did not mind those that did.

    Most of the gun usage was league trap shooting. My Grandfather, Uncle, Dad and I shot together from the time I was 13 to the fall of my 18th year. I stopped when I went away to college. I was very very well trained in gun safety.

    I moved to Illinois when I was about 30 years old. I never got my FOID card as there was no one to shoot with. I also didn't seek out shooters. As years went by I sometimes regretted not having the legal right to buy guns or bullets if I wanted to.

    My family and I watched the Top Gun reality tv show a few years ago. I was surprised to learn my 2 daughters and my wife thought it looked like fun. Procrastination ensued.

    My wife was at work and some of her co-workers were talking about their FOID cards. On a whim she looked it up on line filled out the paperwork and forgot about it. 4 weeks later her card came in the mail. Two weeks later I applied for mine. 4.5 weeks later mine came in the mail.

    We have decided that we think we want to shoot handguns. We are not sure yet if we will go for our conceal and carry.

    Both of my adult daughters are interested in taking some classes as well.

    So the main reason is fun.
    Cool, this was posted before I responded. Seems reasonable.

    If it's in a safe the entire time between gun range use, that's 99% of the problem solved. You seem like a low suicide risk, so no problem there.

    I would never own a gun, period, but I'd go to a gun range for the marksmanship interest.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •