No announcement yet.

Entering into the world of hand guns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure if this is the best place to put this, but the footage of this and the whole incident is messed up: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/gr...GTH?li=BBnbcA1

This gentleman, shot 4 times in his own home by a cop who failed to identify himself and decided to shoot through the window is bleeding out on the ground in disbelief. He has a concealed carry permit and was awoken in the middle of the night. Crazy. I know this doesn't happen often, but it is something else to think about. Anytime law enforcement is involved, they see a gun as a threat, so you have to be very careful to make sure that intruder isn't a cop!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      Not sure if this is the best place to put this, but the footage of this and the whole incident is messed up: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/gr...GTH?li=BBnbcA1

This gentleman, shot 4 times in his own home by a cop who failed to identify himself and decided to shoot through the window is bleeding out on the ground in disbelief. He has a concealed carry permit and was awoken in the middle of the night. Crazy. I know this doesn't happen often, but it is something else to think about. Anytime law enforcement is involved, they see a gun as a threat, so you have to be very careful to make sure that intruder isn't a cop!
      Thanks for posting this. It is a terrible series of events that should never have happened.

Both sides are so wrong.

The police officer should not have fired once much less 4 times.

The homeowner should never approach the front door with his weapon. He should have stayed upstairs and yelled the police are on the way and I am armed. He should know that he cannot shoot someone outside his house. He should also have been taught that you do not use your gun for scare tactics. You pull your gun to shoot it in defense of your life (not property) or someone else's life. I wonder if he even called 911?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        Thanks for posting this. It is a terrible series of events that should never have happened.

Both sides are so wrong.

The police officer should not have fired once much less 4 times.

The homeowner should never approach the front door with his weapon. He should have stayed upstairs and yelled the police are on the way and I am armed. He should know that he cannot shoot someone outside his house. He should also have been taught that you do not use your gun for scare tactics. You pull your gun to shoot it in defense of your life (not property) or someone else's life. I wonder if he even called 911?
        I didn't know any of this, so thanks for sharing. Do they teach these tactics/procedures as part of gun safety? My understanding is he heard the noise and came right down stairs. I have a hard time assigning blame to the home owner in this case, but it is interesting to know that those with a concealed permit are taught procedures to help avoid something like this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          I didn't know any of this, so thanks for sharing. Do they teach these tactics/procedures as part of gun safety? My understanding is he heard the noise and came right down stairs. I have a hard time assigning blame to the home owner in this case, but it is interesting to know that those with a concealed permit are taught procedures to help avoid something like this.
          I was taught it in both classes.

I understand it is hard to blame the homeowner as we do not expect to get shot by those who are paid to protect us. However the homeowner should consider all intruders as armed and dangerous. There were bright lights, ringing door bells and banging on the door. Seems like he was playing cowboy and did not understand the seriousness of a home invasion situation.

The officer stated that the homeowner opened the door and pointed a gun at him. Camera disproves that. But homeowner confessed to bringing his gun to the front door, so maybe the officer saw him through the side light and over reacted.

Either way a bad situation that seems like it should be a scene from Fargo 5.
          Last edited by Gregg; 09-13-2019, 03:51 PM.

Comment

• We invited my two adult daughters to join us at the range. They accepted.

I laid out the 4 handguns on the kitchen table and gave them a lesson in gun safety, and what was expected of them at the range. I then showed them which guns were which and what to expect from a recoil perspective. We were going to start with the .22 revolver, then go to the .380 semi auto, then 9mm, then if things went well the .357 mag.

My 24 year old was first up. Her first shot went right in the bulls eye! She shot 9 shots with two more going in the bulls eye and about a 6 inch pattern. Up next was my 26 year old. She did not hit the bulls eye but had a nice consistent grouping of about 6 inches low right.

We worked our way up the list. When my oldest got to my H&K P30L 9mm. Her first shot was not only in the bulls eye but dead center of the X. It literally was the perfect shot. Had her best grouping with this gun.

Beth the owner watched my girls through the glass. Afterwards she said you don't have to worry about your girls being able to protect themselves.

We had a great time. Both said they would shoot again. I am not sure how much of that was based on their own fun vs. how much was doing something with Mom and Dad.

I would want them to take classes if this is going to be a thing for them.

Comment

• Due to some terrible family issues and some delightful Grandson hockey games my wife and I have not been to the range in a long time.

Yesterday we were able to watch the hockey game, have a Sunday brunch, and then go to the range for some target shooting.

My wife and I each got our own lane next to each other. I shot my semi auto 9mm and my .357 Mag. She shot her .380 and then the .22. She out shot me by a bunch.

I was terrible out of the gate. My normal 4-6 inch pattern started out about 18 inches. The weird thing is that I was much better (and back to normal) when I went to my .357 mag loads through my revolver. Those loads kick a lot harder than my 9mm semi auto. So I would expect just the opposite.

After we were done I asked the shop owner about it. She said you may have been holding the semi auto too tight. That would make some sense as I have been reading tips on hand gun shooting and they said to make sure the grip was real tight. I took that literally. I will have to play around with grip next time out.

All in all it was a very nice day and long overdue.

Comment

My wife and I each got our own lane next to each other.

Good to see you trust each other!

(Sorry about the family issues....hope things are getting better)
                “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                  Good to see you trust each other!

(Sorry about the family issues....hope things are getting better)
                  Umm... there is bullet proof glass between the lanes.

Thank you for the well wishes on the family stuff.

Comment

My wife and I have applied for and received our FOID (Firearm Owners Identification) cards.

We have a gun shop and shooting range about a half hour from our house. We have signed up for a class this Wednesday that gives class room and range instructions. The range is running a promotion in August. Our instruction, one hour of range time, and hand gun rental are all free. We only have to purchase the ammo that we will be using.

While we are both looking forward to this event we really do not know if we will like it as something to continue down the road.

Time will tell.
                    Well, we just passed our two year anniversary of this strange and fun journey.

Family issues and then Covid have put a damper on our ability to get out and shoot. We have shot only once since March. It was about 3 weeks ago. Masks, social distances, wipe downs, hand sanitizer, etc. Now the Covid numbers are going the wrong way locally so I do not know when we will go again.

We had a good time, not too rusty.

Mrs. Gregg got to fire her combo birthday/Valentines Day gun I bought for her. It is a Cimarron Buffalo Bill 45 Long Colt Lazer engraved to add some bling. I put it in a heart shaped candy box. This gun has nothing to do with self defense or anything except fun. Her first shot was a bullseye. I could not have been happier.

We still have not applied for our conceal and carry. We do have a gun by the side of the bed. But we are the only ones that live here and we get no visitors. My adult kids and grandson are living in our house and my wife and I are living in her deceased parents house. No chance of any accidents. Given where we live and our situation we both feel safer with our choice.

After two years it is so much more about the fun than the need. I would be lying to say we do not feel safer.

Comment

• I bought my first gun in March, a Springfield XD-S. Also got a carry permit. Bought the gun and got the permit from the admin building down the street in 45 minutes, tops. Gotta love Pennsylvania!

I now live full-time in a touristy area of the Poconos, and there's a range less than 10 minutes from the house that's always populated with New Yorkers on vacation for the weekend. My buddy who has a weekend house here (who's been here far more often because of covid) go every Friday at 4pm. Honestly, it's been one of the best new things I've done this year. I enjoy it immensely.

My wife and I both bought season passes to the range, so we only pay $15/hour for the lane and use our own ammo. That's been the bigger problem -- finding 9mm ammo. We bought 1,000 rounds in March for about $350, but now the same amount is going for $500+. My buddy lives in NYC and only recently changed his address to PA, so he was unable to buy a gun and was using mine. Each time we go we use 200 rounds, so I told him he'd gotta start buying his own ammo as my wife was getting PO'd.

I'm looking to buy a second 9mm handgun soon, just to diversify. We also just bought a vault for it. The kids don't know we have it.

Between the range and cleaning the gun, I've become quite the pro in a short time!

If this Dem's a packin', don't come attackin!

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                        I bought my first gun in March, a Springfield XD-S. Also got a carry permit. Bought the gun and got the permit from the admin building down the street in 45 minutes, tops. Gotta love Pennsylvania!

I now live full-time in a touristy area of the Poconos, and there's a range less than 10 minutes from the house that's always populated with New Yorkers on vacation for the weekend. My buddy who has a weekend house here (who's been here far more often because of covid) go every Friday at 4pm. Honestly, it's been one of the best new things I've done this year. I enjoy it immensely.

My wife and I both bought season passes to the range, so we only pay $15/hour for the lane and use our own ammo. That's been the bigger problem -- finding 9mm ammo. We bought 1,000 rounds in March for about $350, but now the same amount is going for $500+. My buddy lives in NYC and only recently changed his address to PA, so he was unable to buy a gun and was using mine. Each time we go we use 200 rounds, so I told him he'd gotta start buying his own ammo as my wife was getting PO'd.

I'm looking to buy a second 9mm handgun soon, just to diversify. We also just bought a vault for it. The kids don't know we have it.

Between the range and cleaning the gun, I've become quite the pro in a short time!

If this Dem's a packin', don't come attackin!
                        Glad you are having fun with it. And thank you for posting.

Do you know if your conceal and carry permit is attached to your driver's license and or license plates? It is in Illinois, I do not know if that is a state by state thing or national.

The range we went to 3 weeks ago was new to us. They had no issues with ammo at all. Mrs. Gregg compared the prices to our pre-covid prices and found them the same as we were paying from our membership range.

We typically shoot 50-75 rounds each of various calibers per session.

Comment

• We just got some pretty cool water guns for the boys. It has been pretty hot out so that was a good purchase.

Comment

Glad you are having fun with it. And thank you for posting.

Do you know if your conceal and carry permit is attached to your driver's license and or license plates? It is in Illinois, I do not know if that is a state by state thing or national.

The range we went to 3 weeks ago was new to us. They had no issues with ammo at all. Mrs. Gregg compared the prices to our pre-covid prices and found them the same as we were paying from our membership range.

We typically shoot 50-75 rounds each of various calibers per session.
                            I only have a carry permit, not concealed carry. It is tied to my driver's license.

I bought the ammo online, not at the range.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                              I only have a carry permit, not concealed carry. It is tied to my driver's license.

I bought the ammo online, not at the range.
                              How does a carry permit work?

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                                We just got some pretty cool water guns for the boys. It has been pretty hot out so that was a good purchase.
                                What kind. I love water guns.

Comment

Working...
                                X