This New Rule Will Be A Disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This New Rule Will Be A Disaster

“A quarterback does not have to slide feet first to be considered to be giving himself up,” the league’s online rules say. “Regardless whether the slide is feet first or head first, as long as he gives himself up, he should receive the protections afforded to him as a player in a defenseless posture.”

no more diving for the end zones?

Why not just make this 2 hand touch already?
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

I think this is overstated. The idea is if he is truly giving himself up, regardless of whether he's sliding feet first or not, he's down. If he's diving for the end zone then he is not giving himself up and the rule doesn't apply.

Granted, I only caught a couple games last night but I did see the 12 yard run by Prescott, he dove forward at the end to get the 1st down and he was given the full length of the dive (not where he started).

Comment

I'm in between on this one. The clear distinction of sliding feet first made a clear point of reference for the defensive players and referees to make a good call. Now, it's far more objective/subjective which will almost undoubtedly lead to a questionable/bad judgement call that'll significantly impact a game.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
      X