Chris Collins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Collins

man, I know you gotta claim innocence, but they sure seem to have his balls nailed to the wall. He owned about 17% of an Australian biotech company and had convinced his son and his son's in-laws to buy stock in it. When they failed their medical trials, the Australian stock exchange froze trading on the shares (so he couldn't sell since his stock was there) but the Feds have call records of him calling his son from the White House lawn, and the next morning his son and the others all sold off their stock before the announcement.

be interesting to see what Trump thinks of this - Collins was one of his first supporters in Congress and you know Trump's probably not real impressed by insider trading laws.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Originally posted by mjl View Post
    man, I know you gotta claim innocence, but they sure seem to have his balls nailed to the wall. He owned about 17% of an Australian biotech company and had convinced his son and his son's in-laws to buy stock in it. When they failed their medical trials, the Australian stock exchange froze trading on the shares (so he couldn't sell since his stock was there) but the Feds have call records of him calling his son from the White House lawn, and the next morning his son and the others all sold off their stock before the announcement.

be interesting to see what Trump thinks of this - Collins was one of his first supporters in Congress and you know Trump's probably not real impressed by insider trading laws.
    The thing is... his tips helped his sons avoid less than $1M in losses... dude is worth $67M. How do you think he got so rich in the first place? How many crooked deals has he made before this one?
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Apparently, Collins realized that it would be tough to be a Congressman from a prison cell, and "suspended" his campaign. This after much tough talk about how he was going to fight the charges...
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        Apparently, Collins realized that it would be tough to be a Congressman from a prison cell, and "suspended" his campaign. This after much tough talk about how he was going to fight the charges...
        If only Jim Jordan had an ounce of humility he would do the same.
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Wish Bob Menendez had come to that conclusion

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
            And here I thought that Menendez was brought to trial and didn't get found guilty, hung jury...Justice department declined to refile charges. Could have sworn that happened...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

And here I thought that Menendez was brought to trial and didn't get found guilty, hung jury...Justice department declined to refile charges. Could have sworn that happened...
              Yep...that’s what happened. Could have sworn that Collins hasn’t even gone to trial yet, but perhaps I missed it. Anyway.....I’m sure if I scroll back far enough in this thread, I will find the post where on the day Menendez was indicted, you made a similar comment to the one you made today, right?
              Bonus rant: the only reason Menedez got his hung jury is because of the SC’s extremely partisan decision which redefined bribery charges making it much more difficult to get a conviction. They did this to get Bob McDonnell off. It was hyper partisan and bogus as it now allows guys like Menendez to skate. Even Rep. Chakkah Fattah (D-Phila) got his bribery conviction overturned this past week (thankfully he is still in jail because he was convicted on several other charges). Corruption of elected officials should be something both parties should find common ground on whether it be Chris Collins, Bob Menendez or Charlie Wrangel. Sadly, it isn’t and the SC has made it even more challenging to get a conviction.
              Last edited by nots; 08-11-2018, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Yep...that’s what happened. Could have sworn that Collins hasn’t even gone to trial yet, but perhaps I missed it. Anyway.....I’m sure if I scroll back far enough in this thread, I will find the post where on the day Menendez was indicted, you made a similar comment to the one you made today, right?
                Bonus rant: the only reason Menedez got his hung jury is because of the SC’s extremely partisan decision which redefined bribery charges making it much more difficult to get a conviction. They did this to get Bob McDonnell off. It was hyper partisan and bogus as it now allows guys like Menendez to skate. Even Rep. Chakkah Fattah (D-Phila) got his bribery conviction overturned this past week (thankfully he is still in jail because he was convicted on several other charges). Corruption of elected officials should be something both parties should find common ground on whether it be Chris Collins, Bob Menendez or Charlie Wrangel. Sadly, it isn’t.
                LOL...you can scrollback as far as you'd like in this thread, and you won't find a thing...I wipe my tracks very carefully. To the point of letting another politician get accused of a crime, and have another poster start a thread.

Menendez may in fact have been guilty, but I will almost always side with the 12 people who sat in a stuffy courtroom day after day, actually paying attention to mostly dry testimony, and coming to a conclusion. In this case, not enough evidence to convict. And the DOJ passing on a chance to try him again. They both had to stand by the law as it was, and is written.

If Collins would have stayed around, he might have gotten the same treatment as Menendez, but he chose to change his mind a day after he was charged...his choice.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

As do I. But I laid out my thoughts on that pretty thoroughly in the Democratic Party thread already, so I won't repeat here.

Comment

Working...
                  X