Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    That's not his point.
    But it's my point. That was the discussion that was going on when his comment was made.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
      But it's my point. That was the discussion that was going on when his comment was made.
      OK, for discussion's sake, how about
      Kluber/Carrasco (or Bauer)...
      Verlander/Cole...
      deGrom/Syndergaard (that one's close)

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
        OK, for discussion's sake, how about
        Kluber/Carrasco (or Bauer)...
        Verlander/Cole...
        deGrom/Syndergaard (that one's close)
        Greinke/Corbin
        Sale/Price
        Severino/Happ

Comment

• Lots of great names mentioned, but none that are clearly better than Scherzer/Strasburg.

When combined, that pair averages 5.5 fWAR each over the last 3 years.

For reference Kluber was 3rd in the CY Young voting in 2016 with 5.8 fWAR. And Syndergaard has never reached 5.5 (and no knock on Thor, I'm a big fan of him as well).

Comment

Lots of great names mentioned, but none that are clearly better than Scherzer/Strasburg.

When combined, that pair averages 5.5 fWAR each over the last 3 years.

For reference Kluber was 3rd in the CY Young voting in 2016 with 5.8 fWAR. And Syndergaard has never reached 5.5 (and no knock on Thor, I'm a big fan of him as well).
            1 Jacob deGrom 7.3
            2 Chris Sale 6.1
            3 Trevor Bauer 5.9
            4 Max Scherzer 5.8
            5 Aaron Nola 5.7
            6 Patrick Corbin 5.5
            7 Gerrit Cole 5.4
            8 Justin Verlander 4.6
            9 Luis Severino 4.5
            10 Corey Kluber 4.2

This is the current top 10 in fWAR - I dont see Strasburg on that list, but I see 2 cleveland pitchers and 2 astros pitchers. Im not sure what you are arguing re:Strasburg. He and Scherzer combined arent as good as the Cleveland or Houston top 2 right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
              Im not sure what you are arguing re:Strasburg. He and Scherzer combined arent as good as the Cleveland or Houston top 2 right now.
              I'm not sure what it was unclear, I was not looking only at 2018 data. No reason to limit the sample.

Unless you are arguing that Trevor Bauer is clearly better than Max Scherzer? That would be a hard sell.

Comment

I'm not sure what it was unclear, I was not looking only at 2018 data. No reason to limit the sample.
                Well Strasburg isnt even in the top 30 in fWAR this year, and the post was saying that he has been quite disappointing this year. I think the numbers bear that out.
                Notably, all four of the top Cleveland SP are in the top 12!!!

Comment

• Brewers get Gio Gonzalez and Xavier Cedeno. Cedeno for two low-level minor leaguers, haven’t seen the Gio cost.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    Brewers get Gio Gonzalez and Xavier Cedeno. Cedeno for two low-level minor leaguers, haven’t seen the Gio cost.
                    Brew Crew just got Granderson as well.
                    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Dodgers acquired 3B David Freese from the Pirates for INF Jesus Valdez.
                      It isn't the biggest move in the world, but Freese brings a quality veteran bat that mashes left-handed pitching and can be a weapon off the bench for the Dodgers. It's the type of under-the-radar pickup that could potentially make a big difference as the Dodgers push for a postseason berth. The 35-year-old is hitting .283/.337/.447 with nine homers and 41 RBI in 237 at-bats on the season.
                      (Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter/Rotoworld)
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Yankees added SS Hechavarria at the buzzer

Didi owners are allowed to panic
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Wilson Ramos to the Phillies.
                          Interesting, catcher didn't seem to be a huge weakness but Ramos certainly has a nice bat.
                          Wilson Ramos with Tampa Bay: 14 hr, 53 rbi, .297 ba in 293 at bats
                          Wilson Ramos with Philadelphia: 1 hr, 18 rbi, .341 ba in 88 at bats

If Ramos stays with the Phillies and continues to share time with Alfaro, he will be worthless to me as a cheap $6 keeper next year and force me to consider someone else. He needs to be a DH in the AL.
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                          X