James Gunn fired from Guardians of the Galaxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Riff Raff View Post
    Agree w/ sourmasher - leaving these up was a dufus move.
    on the one hand, it's so long ago that it can be tempting to say the guy simply forgot.

on the other hand, if he forgot THOSE tweets - what does that mean about him?

I'm not crazy about 'life sentences' for crude language or crude behavior, though (within reason).

we're still figuring it out, and as Hacko said, lucky to have had freer reign to be young and stupid back in the day.

and the next wave of young adults - well, if you're just turning 21 now and you still aren't paying attention, eventually that's on you.

there is a group in the middle that are in the crosshairs (and I don't just mean young people, but also people in power who were used to doing whatever they pleased - bullying is a kind word. and now, the chickens are coming home to roost).
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
      I'm glad they fired the piece of crap. Now I dont have to boycott Guardians 3!

you say this but yet back and support the President who has said a done things just as bad - why aren't you boycotting him. I truly am stun that people overlook the stuff that Trumps has said and done but say stuff about others in the same boat .

Comment

I'm glad they fired the piece of crap. Now I dont have to boycott Guardians 3!
        Nobody here seems to give a damn about Deadpool 2, which I've boycotted for life.

On the set of Deadpool 2, they needed a stunt double to do a motorcycle stunt, and the professional stunt double was unavailable... they needed a black person to do the stunt (as the actor in the stunt was black), so they convinced a black woman on the set to do the stunt. She died in the stunt attempt.

In an industry where all of the production crew are thrilled to be offered top-up pay for doing an extra job (I remember a small-time "stand-in" actor telling me he made $10k once because he got to say "Roger that" in Aliens vs. Predator)... it's just the scummiest, lowest thing I can imagine doing. Coercing a worker to do a job that literally gets them killed...

It's insane to me that this pile of tweets is apparently more outrageous than that. You guys have collectively given a buttload of money to the Deadpool 2 haul. Prioritize.

Also, Mike Cernovich (Pizzagate guy, Alex Jones wannabe) is a menace... he already got Sam Seder fired from MSNBC for like 2 days until they took a closer look and realized that it was a political attack, then re-hired him. Seems like the same might happen for Gunn, as he's receiving a lot of support, almost none of the type of condemnation CBB offers.

I believe the tweets were horribly stupid, but given they were jokes, he should not have been fired. Comparing to Barr, an outright lunatic, is extremely off-base. The difference between Gunn's sincere explanation and apology vs. Barr's conspiracy peddling is stark. Did anybody see Barrs clip this week where she screams several times about Valerie Jarrett "I thought the bitch was white!" She explains that she told ABC that she had thought Jarrett was white, and she'd go on any show on any network to defend herself using that stance (despite the fact she compared Jarrett to apes... )

So yeah... real, vicious and vile support for racist dialogue is in a whole other league from offensive jokes. There aren't really large support groups for pedophiles in the same way there are for racists... that's why 1 deserves exile, 1 doesn't. 1 is dangerous to foment (racism) the other isn't dangerous, merely unsavoury. Nobody rapes a child because they read a tweet.
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
          on the one hand, it's so long ago that it can be tempting to say the guy simply forgot.

on the other hand, if he forgot THOSE tweets - what does that mean about him?

I'm not crazy about 'life sentences' for crude language or crude behavior, though (within reason).

we're still figuring it out, and as Hacko said, lucky to have had freer reign to be young and stupid back in the day.
          Yes, people can be young and stupid. Or either.

It has been well known for a long long time that the Internet lasts forever.

This guy may have also noticed all of the other "celebs" and athletes outed in the news and the impacts to their careers. Anyone in the spotlight (even those who are not) knows full well they, and their history, can be exposed at any time. I mean, tabloids have been around forever too - these folks watch what they say to the media directly - social media is no different. It is all fair game.

If he forgot, he pays the price. Simple as that. Welcome to 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
            It's insane to me that this pile of tweets is apparently more outrageous than that. You guys have collectively given a buttload of money to the Deadpool 2 haul. Prioritize.
            I didnt like Deadpool 1 that much so I dont care to see 2 any time soon.

Also, Mike Cernovich (Pizzagate guy, Alex Jones wannabe) is a menace... he already got Sam Seder fired from MSNBC for like 2 days until they took a closer look and realized that it was a political attack, then re-hired him. Seems like the same might happen for Gunn, as he's receiving a lot of support, almost none of the type of condemnation CBB offers.
            This is because you dont read anything from the other side. Conservative websites are pleased with this outcome.

I believe the tweets were horribly stupid, but given they were jokes, he should not have been fired. Comparing to Barr, an outright lunatic, is extremely off-base. The difference between Gunn's sincere explanation and apology vs. Barr's conspiracy peddling is stark. Did anybody see Barrs clip this week where she screams several times about Valerie Jarrett "I thought the bitch was white!" She explains that she told ABC that she had thought Jarrett was white, and she'd go on any show on any network to defend herself using that stance (despite the fact she compared Jarrett to apes... )
            So as long as it was a joke about rape and pedophilia, then everything is cool? And you can somehow tell Gunn was joking but Barr wasnt? The only difference is Barr told one bad joke that got her fired, Gunn told many bad jokes that got him fired.

Edit: And why would jokes about rape and pedophilia be ok? Thats not something you joke about! If your friend starts joking about rape, do you tell him thats wrong or do you just laugh and have good time?
            Last edited by cardboardbox; 07-22-2018, 10:12 AM.
            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

This is because you dont read anything from the other side. Conservative websites are pleased with this outcome.

So as long as it was a joke about rape and pedophilia, then everything is cool? And you can somehow tell Gunn was joking but Barr wasnt? The only difference is Barr told one bad joke that got her fired, Gunn told many bad jokes that got him fired.

Edit: And why would jokes about rape and pedophilia be ok? Thats not something you joke about! If your friend starts joking about rape, do you tell him thats wrong or do you just laugh and have good time?
              I forgot how much conservatives love political correctness... give me a break.

I already stated the differences between Barr and Gunn. In great detail. One made excuses for BEING a racist in the present day. The other apologized for statements 10 years in the past, then explained why those tweets were disgusting and misguided. He did so in great detail. This furthers the conversation. Barr is continuing to spread hatred. Little bit different.

But you go ahead and celebrate the rapid takedown of free speech if you like.
              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

You realize that Barr called another black woman an ape 2 years prior, right? Do I really need to dig into the massive trove of racist and conspiracy swilling nonsense to show you it wasn't just one tweet? Ridiculous statement.

Comment

I forgot how much conservatives love political correctness... give me a break.

I already stated the differences between Barr and Gunn. In great detail. One made excuses for BEING a racist in the present day. The other apologized for statements 10 years in the past, then explained why those tweets were disgusting and misguided. He did so in great detail. This furthers the conversation. Barr is continuing to spread hatred. Little bit different.

But you go ahead and celebrate the rapid takedown of free speech if you like.
                  the intolerant left is to blame for the loss of free speech. Or maybe its the loss of rape and pedophilia speech?
                  "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

You realize that Barr called another black woman an ape 2 years prior, right? Do I really need to dig into the massive trove of racist and conspiracy swilling nonsense to show you it wasn't just one tweet? Ridiculous statement.
                    She got fired for one tweet. Gunn was fired for many.

But if its a joke its ok right?

Comment

She got fired for one tweet. Gunn was fired for many.

But if its a joke its ok right?
                      Facts don't care about your feelings.

I've already refuted your points.

Comment

Facts don't care about your feelings.

I've already refuted your points.
                        Already told you the facts, sorry you dont understand.

Comment

Already told you the facts, sorry you dont understand.
                          Isnt it great now that the right wing dismantled the credibility of the media, we now get to choose our own facts?

You refuse to answer regarding Roseanne's history of racist and problematic tweets (something I was shouting about as a major red flag over a month before her career suicide), which greatly outweigh what Gunn posted. So if you refuse to respond to direct points, you're useless.

Comment

Isnt it great now that the right wing dismantled the credibility of the media, we now get to choose our own facts?

You refuse to answer regarding Roseanne's history of racist and problematic tweets (something I was shouting about as a major red flag over a month before her career suicide), which greatly outweigh what Gunn posted. So if you refuse to respond to direct points, you're useless.
                            I have no idea what you want. I'm not going to answer for Roseanne, thats for her to do. As I've already said, I'm glad Disney tried to be fair as far as firing someone for offense, disgusting tweets.

Comment

-Gunns tweets were disgusting and plentiful.
                              -Barrs tweets and comments were disgusting, plentiful and spanned a longer period of time.
                              -Perhaps that means Barrs were worse

Why does it matter whose were worse? Theyre both disgusting. Does there really need to be an investigation about whose was worse? Cant we just be repulsed by all of it?
                              After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

I have no idea what you want. I'm not going to answer for Roseanne, thats for her to do. As I've already said, I'm glad Disney tried to be fair as far as firing someone for offense, disgusting tweets.
                                Hammer gets it right, as far as the timelines of horrible tweets, but for your 2nd point, fair enough.

Perhaps the difference is in future work. Whereas Roseanne is likely, hopefully done, I believe the industry support for Gunn shows he's just as likely to come out fine in the end. I believe companies have the right to fire or hire when there's clear evidence that their brand is being tarnished.

I still believe Gunn deserves 2nd chances based on his thoughtful commentary on the tweets. Roseanne has shown no such remorse, taken no responsibility, and that's why she's off in media Siberia right now. But she's just as likely to get Koch brother funding and become a voice for the "intellectual dark web" at this point, where she could continue to spread hatred... there's a world of difference in the present day intentions of both, I'm much more sympathetic to those willing to correct the record and engage in constructive dialogue as opposed to unrepentant s#!tbags like Trump, Jim Jordan, Roseanne, who ever it is. The fact is, the right views apologizing as weakness, unless its Trump apologizing to Putin... I'm rambling. We're probably pretty close on these points in reality.

Comment

Working...
                                X