Psychedelic Drugs... thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psychedelic Drugs... thoughts?

Have you done them? Liked them? Bad experience? Should they be legal, or which ones do you think should be? I think with the opioid epidemic showing the dangers of civilized medicine, and the relative lack of physical risk inherent in most psychedelics, I'm on board... to be specific, I'd definitely legalize magic mushrooms. What a silly drug to keep illegal, especially given the research into helping people with PTSD.

I've never done LSD, in large part because the name "acid" just never appealed to me... but I'll probably check that box when I get old and bored. I have done mushrooms somewhere between 50-100 times though, and that's almost always been great. Only a couple "bad trips"... but they provide good stories, so even those are almost worth it.

This thread is dedicated to DMT. You inspire me!

If I've posted this same topic years ago, my apologies! It's my mush-brain.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
    Have you done them? Liked them? Bad experience? Should they be legal, or which ones do you think should be? I think with the opioid epidemic showing the dangers of civilized medicine, and the relative lack of physical risk inherent in most psychedelics, I'm on board... to be specific, I'd definitely legalize magic mushrooms. What a silly drug to keep illegal, especially given the research into helping people with PTSD.

I've never done LSD, in large part because the name "acid" just never appealed to me... but I'll probably check that box when I get old and bored. I have done mushrooms somewhere between 50-100 times though, and that's almost always been great. Only a couple "bad trips"... but they provide good stories, so even those are almost worth it.

This thread is dedicated to DMT. You inspire me!

If I've posted this same topic years ago, my apologies! It's my mush-brain.
    Glad to hear! My psychedelics usage has sadly fallen precipitously since becoming a parent seven and a half years ago. My buddy brought psilocybin caplets to this year's fantasy baseball auction but dosage was too small to get me trippin.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I haven't read it yet, but Michael Pollan's "How to Change Your Mind: What the New Science of Psychedelics Teaches Us About Consciousness, Dying, Addiction, Depression, and Transcendence" should be an enlightening read.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Comment

And of course Dr. Rick Strassman's "DMT: The Spirit Molecule" is a must-read.
        - Terence McKenna

Comment

Interesting topic!

I have only smoked marijuana. I like the kinds that relax my body, but still allow my brain to be active and alive. I dont like stuff that makes you "trippy" or paranoid.

I live in AZ where its not legal recreationally, so I choose not to. However, if it was legal I would likely indulge a bit or try some edibles.

In my mind the process of keeping certain "natural" drugs illegal is more about the profits various businesses can attain vs. homeopathic remedies (ie.. eastern medicine).

I think people should be able to choose to use various natural drugs. I listen to Joe Rogan frequently and his discussions about DMT and the like intrigue me as to their benefit - not necessarily the physical, but certainly the mental/spiritual benefits.
          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
          Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
            Glad to hear! My psychedelics usage has sadly fallen precipitously since becoming a parent seven and a half years ago. My buddy brought psilocybin caplets to this year's fantasy baseball auction but dosage was too small to get me trippin.
            Fortunate for you or you would have spent big on Sammy Sosa.
            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
            Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Only dabbled, a long time ago. Enjoyed them, but they never stuck. But I do have a funny story.

A few years back I went into the hospital for emerg surgery - I won't get into the details. For the next three days I could have no food or water; I was on IV for everything ... including oxycontin at levels that were, well, pretty high.

The first night I was fascinated at how my curtains around my bed would randomly display passages from the bible. But they were never complete, they would only be the first half of a given sentence. Frustrating.

Then, the next couple of days I was entertained (?) by the muzak that was piped into my room. It was playing a radio station that played top-40 pop music, but at really slow speeds. I timed it once against the clock on the wall - a Bruno Mars song went on for well over 20 minutes. I tried telling my partner about it when she came to visit in the afternoon, but of course she must have had something wrong with her ears as she couldn't hear it at all.

While I am familiar with trips that are enlightening and tickle pleasure centres that don't normally get touched, that was not an enjoyable experience. It is funny in retrospect tho.
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

This thread reminded of me of part of a Bill Hicks stand up routine talking about the war on drugs...he was one funny dude.

I had a great time doing drugs. Sorry! Never murdered anybody, never robbed anybody, never raped anybody, never beat anybody, never lost a job, a car, a house, a wife or kids, laughed my ass off, and went about my day. Now, where’s my commercial?

— Bill Hicks

Comment

I was overly cautious for most of my life when it came to experimenting with stuff, and now that I'm older and more adventurous, but also a parent, I regret never going on a trip. But I look forward to when my boys are old enough to be out of the house, because I plan on trying these things at that time, if I can get my hands on them. For now, a full on trip scares me with the kids around.

I forget what comedian said this, but I like the joke's premise--all drugs should be legal for old people. The older you get, the more stuff should be legal. Just turned 80? Try some heroin! You have less of your life to screw up if you over do it.
                  Last edited by Sour Masher; 07-12-2018, 05:20 PM.

Comment

I haven't done LSD or mushrooms in 20 years, can't imagine doing LSD again. I try to avoid all stimulants other than caffeine, as I had a pretty severe collegiate coke problem. I'd do XTC/MDA in a heartbeat if we were in Vegas or out clubbing somewhere, and believe 100% that it has theraputic benefits. My FIL was taking morphine on a fairly regular basis and was having all sorts of health problems from that, and we finally got him to a dispensary now that weed is legal in California and he hasn't taken morphine since.
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

i think maybe we give too much credit to what an 'average' person is. i don't know. i think the world is already too fucked up to get even more fucked up on purpose. heh

Comment

At age 47, I've still never tried marijuana, tobacco/nicotine, or any illegal drugs. I used to have much more of a knee-jerk reaction against the idea of anyone using such things, but I'm more mature now and recognize that it's really hypocritical given that I have no problem with alcohol and have definitely drunk to excess on plenty of occasions (including four or five blackouts back in my single years). As a government official most of my career, primarily for public school districts, I recognize the potential ramifications of getting caught possessing or using illegal drugs, so I still don't intent to do anything that hasn't been legalized. If and when some of these things get legalized, I'd might consider trying them on a weekend or vacation without my kids, but I'm super risk-averse with this sort of thing so it would have to be not only legalized, but effectively regulated for safety, and I'd probably do weeks of research in advance....which is probably all very strong evidence that I could benefit from the stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                          At age 47, I've still never tried marijuana...
                          I'd highly recommend it to anyone who spends their time hand-wringing over incels and toxic masculinity and such. Jeez, relax already!
                          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                            I'd highly recommend it to anyone who spends their time hand-wringing over incels and toxic masculinity and such. Jeez, relax already!
                            I'm a Jewish New Yorker. "Relax" isn't really in my DNA.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                              At age 47, I've still never tried marijuana, tobacco/nicotine, or any illegal drugs. I used to have much more of a knee-jerk reaction against the idea of anyone using such things, but I'm more mature now and recognize that it's really hypocritical given that I have no problem with alcohol and have definitely drunk to excess on plenty of occasions (including four or five blackouts back in my single years). As a government official most of my career, primarily for public school districts, I recognize the potential ramifications of getting caught possessing or using illegal drugs, so I still don't intent to do anything that hasn't been legalized. If and when some of these things get legalized, I'd might consider trying them on a weekend or vacation without my kids, but I'm super risk-averse with this sort of thing so it would have to be not only legalized, but effectively regulated for safety, and I'd probably do weeks of research in advance....which is probably all very strong evidence that I could benefit from the stuff.
                              I did smoke weed but gave it up in college but the day I retire - I have had more then 1 Dr tell me to do it to help my old age ills - help me sleep. legal or no but I think it will be legal,

Comment

Working...
                              X