Best (current) Comedians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best (current) Comedians

I really think Bill Burr is now my favorite comedian. Wondering who you guys like right now? Could be stand-up or others but Bill Burr rules.
    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Pete Holmes is awesome... love his HBO show too.

Anthony Jeselnik is brilliant, the way he constructs the most savage "offensive" jokes that just toe the line of bad taste.

More later.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
      Pete Holmes is awesome... love his HBO show too.

Anthony Jeselnik is brilliant, the way he constructs the most savage "offensive" jokes that just toe the line of bad taste.

More later.

Yes great choices. I love Jeselnik. He is very clever and very messed up.
      Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

If you like Bill Burr, check out Jim Jeffries
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I like all the names mentioned so far--especially Burr, who I don't always agree with, but his manic delivery, when he is on, is up there with the greats to me.

I've also been impressed by both the volume and quality of comedy on Netflix lately. They have released major hour long specials by big names, but also lots of half hour and 15 minute collections by lesser known comedians. Lots of funny stuff. Do a search if you have Netflix. A ton of stuff in the last year is great.

I like Anasari's most recent couple of specials a lot, as opposed to his first specials that were mostly about his love of Kanye West and baller rappers in general. Hasan Minhaj killed it in his special. I know Chappelle got some blow back for his, but I liked them all a lot, although, some more than others. Patton Oswalt is good. Katherine Ryan is funny. I loved Louie CK before it came out, and by it, I mean his dick, frequently. I know he is one dimensional with the food jokes, but I find Gaffigan funny. I liked Ricky Gervais' newest special, which he didn't need to do cuz he has that mad Office money. Tom Segura is really funny. Joe Rogan is kinda funny. I know she isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I think Chelsea Peretti is pretty funny. Joey Diaz can tell a damn good story. He was great on This is Not Happening, which is a great show that has shown me surprising chops from a lot of comedians I didn't respect enough until I saw them on that show. Louie Anderson is another one that fits that category. I guess I like storytelling comedy, as I also like Mike Birbiglia. I am also a sucker for comedians who play music, because even thought he is a pretentious kid, I admire Bo Burnham's talent.
          Last edited by Sour Masher; 07-12-2018, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Another Jeselnik fan here.

Tosh and Gaffigan are my two favorites...by a lot...
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Burr currently my favorite as well. I got to see him live last year and he didn't disappoint.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

John Mullany is just brilliant, observational comedy at it's best.

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                  John Mullany is just brilliant, observational comedy at it's best.

Comedy, like music, is very much "eye of the beholder". I didnt find this clip funny at all. But you do and thats all that matters to you.
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                    Comedy, like music, is very much "eye of the beholder". I didnt find this clip funny at all. But you do and thats all that matters to you.
                    Find the long version of a horse goes into a hospital...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Yeah, that's certainly true...I hate Three Stooges, Love the Marx Brothers. I was indifferent to Bill Hicks, Loved Richard Pryor. Can take or leave Bill Burr, but enjoy the hell out of Patton Oswalt...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          Find the long version of a horse goes into a hospital...
                          Horse goes into a hospital was hilarious.

I thought the first 20 minutes of that special was "ok" lightly humorous, worth my time, then he got very funny.

My favs are still Jim Gaffigan and Brian Regan.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                            Brilliant!

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                              If you like Bill Burr, check out Jim Jeffries
                              I like both these guys a lot, plus Louis CK (RIP), and Doug Stanhope, who's probably too rough for this crowd.
                              "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                              "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Working...
                              X