Why would any NBA franchise want to deal with the Ball family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would any NBA franchise want to deal with the Ball family

The latest seems to be that Lonzo Ball's "people" leaked news of knee injury deliberately to undermine Ball's trade value and thus reduce the likelihood of him being traded out of LA, whether to San Antonio in a deal for Kawhi or otherwise. Whether Lonzo is injured or healthy, I'm not sure why any team would take on the organizational burden of LeVar Ball. Maybe if he proves he can shoot a little bit a franchise might re-evaluate that risk/reward calculation, but I think it's ultimately not only going to depress his trade value but ultimately the length and value of the offers he'll receive whether from the Lakers or any other team.

I do not think any team will willingly take him given his father's antics. I really do not see San Antonio putting up with Lavar's shtick. I'm not sure LeBron will put up with it either. Can the Lakers just outright release Lonzo or would there be a huge cap hit? Ship the kid to the NBA's equivalent of Siberia and let Lavar really go bonkers.
    Its not what you've got. Its what you give.
    Its not the life you choose. Its the life you live--TESLA

Princess Kate-Kate Marie Hrischuk 9/12/00-1/27/07

Comment

Originally posted by Vecmizer View Post
      Ship the kid to the NBA's equivalent of Siberia and let Lavar really go bonkers.
      G League?

Comment

Lavar Ball is a huge distraction, but I don't think the Lakers organization or his teammates had many issues with Lonzo. Despite his bad shooting, he still was quite effective, especially on defense, rebounding, and passing. He ended the season ranked #90 in the NBA in Plus/Minus (RAPM), which was the best on the Lakers. I don't think the Lakers just want to get rid of him. They just want to reduce the distractions from his Dad. By not drafting LiAngelo this year, or signing him to the Lakers' Summer League team, it should be clear to Lavar that his suggestions/outbursts do not influence the team very much.

As for the injury story, it's not clear who leaked what. But a meniscus injury probably won't affect his availability for the upcoming season anyway. Would it really scare teams away?

Comment

Working...
        X