• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
    Yes, yes, you do.

Sincerely,

Shea Jones
    Tempted to reply with a comment about Coppolella... but I own Acuna and Albies, so despite my loathing of the Braves, I’m rooting for my guys. There is an ebb and flow to these things, as you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
      Tempted to reply with a comment about Coppolella... but I own Acuna and Albies, so despite my loathing of the Braves, I’m rooting for my guys. There is an ebb and flow to these things, as you know.
      There is always and ebb and flow, and rivalries are fun. As for Coppella, he was just young and foolish. He saw everything else skirting those rules, so he figured it was just fine, and he did it so ridiculously and blatantly that MLB was forced to roast him for it. And hey, we can both trash the Phillies. They annoy me. For some reason much more than the Nats do. (And the Marlins, I just feel bad for---they had their team and got nothing with it because of Fernandez's unfortunate death.)

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
        There is always and ebb and flow, and rivalries are fun. As for Coppella, he was just young and foolish. He saw everything else skirting those rules, so he figured it was just fine, and he did it so ridiculously and blatantly that MLB was forced to roast him for it. And hey, we can both trash the Phillies. They annoy me. For some reason much more than the Nats do. (And the Marlins, I just feel bad for---they had their team and got nothing with it because of Fernandez's unfortunate death.)
        Is it the incessant pitching changes? Because most Phillies fans are annoyed by that too.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

I know the dominant thread around here is shocking and sad...here’s a little pick me up. Well at least it is for me, for Bobby Bonilla day..

Comment

I bet Bobby Bonilla has the best July 4th cookouts.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
              I bet Bobby Bonilla has the best July 4th cookouts.
              Pretty sure he doesn’t burn charcoal briquettes...

Comment

Happy Bobby Bonilla day!

He's going to be one of the highest paid guys in the league this year.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Happy Bobby Bonilla day!

He's going to be one of the highest paid guys in the league this year.
                  LOL.

I was just speaking about this with my friends, and it's still hard to believe an "accredited investor" such as the Wilpons could be lured in by "guarantees" of >10% per year.

Comment

The Mets could have made Bonilla go away for $6 million in 1999. Instead, they are paying him $29.8 million over 25 years (2011-2035). Only 15 more years to go.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

The Mets could have made Bonilla go away for $6 million in 1999. Instead, they are paying him $29.8 million over 25 years (2011-2035). Only 15 more years to go.
                      They counted on that "guaranteed Madoff return." In their stupidity of believing that the 11% was guaranteed for life, which is insanely ludicrous, they figured why pay $6m today when we could take that money and turn it into $17m when the payments were to start, and then that $17m would become $60m by 2035, of which only $30m would have to go to Bonilla. So they thought they were making out like bandits.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                        They counted on that "guaranteed Madoff return." In their stupidity of believing that the 11% was guaranteed for life, which is insanely ludicrous, they figured why pay $6m today when we could take that money and turn it into $17m when the payments were to start, and then that $17m would become $60m by 2035, of which only $30m would have to go to Bonilla. So they thought they were making out like bandits.
                        Bobby Bonilla at his July 4th party: "I would like to propose a toast to Bernie Madoff!"

Everyone else there: (mad laughter)

― Albert Einstein

Comment

this is more interesting than the meme, I think:

"I love a good “LOL Mets!” joke more than your average person, but I’ve never gotten on board with mocking the Mets for paying Bonilla each July 1. Mostly because the deal was and is not really silly at all. Indeed, there are far, far worse deferred compensation deals around.

One of the things that makes Bonilla’s deal stick out is the interest he’s getting: 8%. That’s high, but as The Bad Economist pointed out a few years back, the prime rate when Bonilla signed the deal was 8.5%. The Mets probably should’ve made his interest a floating figure rather than fixing it at 8% — Bonilla is getting a windfall on the interest — but that’s down to the Mets’ owners’ well-documented bad financial instincts and their misguided belief that they’d make 10-15% on their investments in perpetuity based on the Ponzi scheme from which they were benefitting, not the silliness of the structure itself.

The Mets got use of the $5.9 million Bonilla deferred for years. And, legal or not, they probably DID get 15% on it because the Ponzi scheme hadn’t collapsed yet. But even if they had put that in a totally legal, interest-bearing account, they would’ve made money on it. They got something for it. Even conservatively invested, a good half of the $30 million or so Bonilla is getting after interest will have been paid for.

And they got more than just the investment. As Dan Lewis pointed out five years ago, the $5.9 that was freed up for 2000 was used to bite off a huge chunk of the salaries owed to Mike Hampton and Derek Bell, for whom they traded and who helped them reach the World Series that year. When Hampton walked to take advantage of the good schools in the Denver area, they used the compensation pick to draft a kid named David Wright.

None of that happens without deferring Bonilla’s salary given their payroll crunch at the time. It ended up working for them in the short term, and working very well."

finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                            this is more interesting than the meme, I think:

"I love a good “LOL Mets!” joke more than your average person, but I’ve never gotten on board with mocking the Mets for paying Bonilla each July 1. Mostly because the deal was and is not really silly at all. Indeed, there are far, far worse deferred compensation deals around.

One of the things that makes Bonilla’s deal stick out is the interest he’s getting: 8%. That’s high, but as The Bad Economist pointed out a few years back, the prime rate when Bonilla signed the deal was 8.5%. The Mets probably should’ve made his interest a floating figure rather than fixing it at 8% — Bonilla is getting a windfall on the interest — but that’s down to the Mets’ owners’ well-documented bad financial instincts and their misguided belief that they’d make 10-15% on their investments in perpetuity based on the Ponzi scheme from which they were benefitting, not the silliness of the structure itself.

The Mets got use of the $5.9 million Bonilla deferred for years. And, legal or not, they probably DID get 15% on it because the Ponzi scheme hadn’t collapsed yet. But even if they had put that in a totally legal, interest-bearing account, they would’ve made money on it. They got something for it. Even conservatively invested, a good half of the $30 million or so Bonilla is getting after interest will have been paid for.

And they got more than just the investment. As Dan Lewis pointed out five years ago, the $5.9 that was freed up for 2000 was used to bite off a huge chunk of the salaries owed to Mike Hampton and Derek Bell, for whom they traded and who helped them reach the World Series that year. When Hampton walked to take advantage of the good schools in the Denver area, they used the compensation pick to draft a kid named David Wright.

None of that happens without deferring Bonilla’s salary given their payroll crunch at the time. It ended up working for them in the short term, and working very well."

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2020/07/01...nt-mockworthy/
                            He's likely wrong about the 15% figure, because there was a clawback on any positive returns from Madoff. In other words, they only got whatever they put into it. If the used that money over the years and lost their principal to the scheme, then they didn't get their principal back and had to pay back anything over and above what they initially invested.

And BTW, Steve Phillips poured water all over the Hampton/Bell angle on his show this morning, saying the two weren't related at all and he had no recollection of one influencing the other. Plus, the Hampton/Bell trade was made 9 days before Bonilla was released. Now maybe the idea of deferred comp was in the cards already, but again, he didn't believe one act influenced the other.

Comment

As much as I love making fun of the Mets, and all the other contracts mentioned here are silly, too; I think the king of deferred money for an athlete will always be Mario Lemieux. They ended up owing him so much, he just took the team.

Comment

I thought it was a win-win at the time. The Mets freed up cash and didn't have to pay anything for 8 years. The 8% was slightly below market rate at the time and was "invested" at an "almost guaranteed" 10%-plus with the Wilpons' investment genius pal, Bernie. If not for the Madoff scheme collapsing in 2008, on paper everyone would have been a winner, unlike the Mighty Mets.
                                Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                                -- William James

Comment

Working...
                                X