Happy Bobby Bonilla Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Bobby Bonilla Day!

The Mets get the privilege of paying longtime retired Met Bobby Bonilla 1.193 million every July 1st...this only has to be done until 2035. Well done Mets, well done!
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Starting in 2022, today will be Max Scherzer day, where the Nats will be paying $15Mil/yr thru 2028 w/o him playing for them.

Comment

Tigers have to pay Miggy $154 mil until 2023. 30 mil per season until 2022 when he get a raise to $32. Very frustrating for being a Tiger fan.

You see, when the Mets wanted to get rid of Bonilla and his $5.9 million salary in 2000, his agent struck a deal that was a bit different: They didn’t have to pay him right away. Instead they could pay him $1.19 million for 25 years starting in 2011.

Comment

And the Mets were going to collect double digit returns on the money from Bernie Maddoff.

Comment

yes, the Bonilla deal was actually well-chosen if Madoff money continued.

all kidding aside, I don't think the Mets get killed on this anyway.

and every single pro athlete should have this annuity, basically (not the exact term, Revo will tell me. or not)

no matter how stupid you want to get, force your hands away from the money, year after year.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Not funny. The Mets are so bad. We don’t need everyone pouring on.

Comment

I read that Bonilla's ex-wife, whom he was married to for 23 years, gets half of this payment each year. So, after taxes Bobby probably only sees about 300k of this payment.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I never knew about Sutter's contract until this year but he signed a 6 year deal prior to the 1985 season with Atlanta. Sutter gets:
                1985-1991: $750,000 each year (6 years)
                1992-2021: $1.12 million every year (30 years)
                2021: $9.1 million, which represents the ‘principal’ dollars that were supposedly placed in a 12.3% interest-bearing annuity back in 1985.

1985 he was bad. 1986 he was bad for 16 games and then got hurt. 1987 didn't pitch. 1988 he was bad and then retired. Even though he played 4 of the 6 years he still gets his full contract. Sutter gets $45M over 36 years.

Comment

I didn't realize until yesterday that the Mets are also paying Bret Saberhagen (who I didn't even remember played for them) on a similar deal to Bonilla. Apparently the Saberhagen deal was the model they used for the Bonilla contract.
                  In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

There's a few others receiving deferred payments. Cincinnati is paying $3.5m to Ken Griffey Jr. until 2024. The Rockies are paying Todd Helton about $1.5m until 2024. The Cards will pay Matt Holliday $1.4m until 2029. The Tigers are paying Gary Sheffield until next year. The Red Sox are paying Manny Ramirez until 2026. The Mets are also still paying Darryl Strawberry, Carlos Beltran and Johan Santana. The M's are also paying Ichiro until 2032.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                      yes, the Bonilla deal was actually well-chosen if Madoff money continued.

all kidding aside, I don't think the Mets get killed on this anyway.

and every single pro athlete should have this annuity, basically (not the exact term, Revo will tell me. or not)

no matter how stupid you want to get, force your hands away from the money, year after year.
                      It was a great deal for both sides at the time. 1.9M is not hurting the Mets in any way. They are merely paying what they agreed to and what they owe.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                        It was a great deal for both sides at the time. 1.9M is not hurting the Mets in any way. They are merely paying what they agreed to and what they owe.
                        Between Bonilla, Santana, Beltran, Saberhagen & Strawberry, the Mets are paying these relics $10m a season. That figure would be equal to their 5th highest paid player.

What's amazing is that, like many others, they believed Bernie Madoff's returns to be almost guaranteed which is as silly as it is asinine. Using this fugazy "guarantee," they foolishly deferred these contracts expecting this return on their invested money to continue and cover the deferred payments. So when they guaranteed 8% a year compounded returns to Bonilla, that was crazy talk. There's nowhere you can get that kind of return guaranteed.

What they should have done is bought an actual fixed annuity at the time -- which WAS paying 8% in 1990 -- and just let that pay for the deferred obligation. But instead, they got caught with their pants down.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                          Yes, yes, you do.

Sincerely,

Shea Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                            Dont worry, Shark. My O's are even worse (way worse! )

Comment

and yet the O's swept the Mets in a 2-game series just last month
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                              X