Page 62 of 63 FirstFirst ... 125260616263 LastLast

Thread: Economic, taxes, and tariffs discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Jude View Post
    so they went from no tariffs to no tariffs.

don't shoot the messenger. I have never supported the tariff idea.

but I wonder if "But far from creating negotiating leverage, Trump’s threat did the opposite: It immediately handed all of the leverage to Mexico." is an overbid.
    Why? They knew he couldn't go through with it. I think the author's analysis is spot on.

so Mexico used all this leverage to get...... ?????

or did they have all the leverage, and waste it?
    36th year in same 12-team NL 5x5
    KILLING it in June, now 6th
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP Scherzer 44, Roark 8, Samardzija 1, PLopez 1, Mahle
    RP Jeffress 1, AMiller 14, Moronta, Guerrero
    C Realmuto 13, C Posey 12, 1B Votto 27, 3B TFrazier 2, 13 Belt 10, 2B KMarte 10, SS BCrawford 9, 2S CBarnes 8
    OF Harper 41, Eaton 18, Dyson 8, Bruce, Cooper, UT Naylor 5
    IL: SP CSmith 1, SP Cueto 1, 1B Beaty*, SS EGonzalez 2, OF CDickerson 17*, OF Quinn
    minors: OFs NWilliams 2*, Daza, RDavis

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Jude View Post
    so Mexico used all this leverage to get...... ?????

or did they have all the leverage, and waste it?
    Not at all. They used this leverage to turn down the "Safe Third Country" agreement, which says any migrant captured at the border would be sent to Mexico to wait out their asylum hearing. That was a MAJOR loss for the US. Could they have embarrassed Trump further? Perhaps. Could they have played hardball and actually see if Trump would be willing to shoot himself in the foot by implementing the tariffs? Perhaps. But maybe Mexico is being the bigger man here, and they get stability from the nonsense that is plaguing American businesses who have to deal with this nutjob.

Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    I literally just finished reading this article and came here to post about it. I can only wonder who might disagree with this. Hmmmmm.......
    Any open minded, thinking person. Those in denial will still deny and there are a lot of of Trump deniers.

Seriously? No tariffs. Do you know how integral Mexico is to the supply chain of automobiles?
    So you did not even read the article. He said Trump could not afford to go through with it.

Why? They knew he couldn't go through with it. I think the author's analysis is spot on.
    That was a very bold assumption, which was left completely bare of justification. Do you want to try defending it now that you have contradicted yourself?

The only point of value so far concerns the safe third country agreement. Even in that, it is better to stop them before they come north.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Quote Originally Posted by onejayhawk View Post
    Any open minded, thinking person. Those in denial will still deny and there are a lot of of Trump deniers.
    Wow. 'nuff said.

So you did not even read the article. He said Trump could not afford to go through with it.
    I guess you didn't read the question, which is what MEXICO got out of it, not Trump.

That was a very bold assumption, which was left completely bare of justification. Do you want to try defending it now that you have contradicted yourself?

The only point of value so far concerns the safe third country agreement. Even in that, it is better to stop them before they come north.
    I think from now on most of us here should just answer you with one word: "Huh?" That should suffice with most of your responses.

Wow. 'nuff said.
    I guess you didn't read the question, which is what MEXICO got out of it, not Trump.
    I think from now on most of us here should just answer you with one word: "Huh?" That should suffice with most of your responses.
    I wish.

You don't get the slippage there?

It's very simple. You and the article assume that the tariff was an empty threat. Neither you nor the article gave any basis for this assumption which is counter-intuitive. What has the President done at any point that suggests he was making an idle threat? Any open minded person would see this as a red flag.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

It's very simple. You and the article assume that the tariff was an empty threat. Neither you nor the article gave any basis for this assumption which is counter-intuitive. What has the President done at any point that suggests he was making an idle threat? Any open minded person would see this as a red flag.

J
    Trump and idle threats? Hmmm, I might need 50 posts to fill that up.

Meanwhile.......almost 70% of America's CFOs predict a recession next year thanks to the Epic Debacle known as the Trade War:
    "Nearly half (48.1%) of chief financial officers in the United States are predicting the American economy will be in recession by the middle of next year, according to the Duke University/CFO Global Business Outlook survey released on Wednesday. And 69% of those executives are bracing for a recession by the end of 2020.

CFOs are growing more certain of a 2020 recession because of the paralyzing consequences of economic and political uncertainty — including trade wars — on business.
    "Faced with uncertainty, companies may pause by holding off on spending and hiring. That can turn into a self-fulfilling prophesy," he said."
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/12/econo...uke/index.html

Trump and idle threats? Hmmm, I might need 50 posts to fill that up.

Meanwhile.......almost 70% of America's CFOs predict a recession next year thanks to the Epic Debacle known as the Trade War:
    "Nearly half (48.1%) of chief financial officers in the United States are predicting the American economy will be in recession by the middle of next year, according to the Duke University/CFO Global Business Outlook survey released on Wednesday. And 69% of those executives are bracing for a recession by the end of 2020.

CFOs are growing more certain of a 2020 recession because of the paralyzing consequences of economic and political uncertainty — including trade wars — on business.
    "Faced with uncertainty, companies may pause by holding off on spending and hiring. That can turn into a self-fulfilling prophesy," he said."
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/12/econo...uke/index.html
    Just explain why you assume that the tariff threat was idle.

A recession is overdue, of course, so having a downturn in 2020 is not unexpected. That said, the expectation is that it will be short lived, a correction, a modest downturn, things of that nature. Are you suggesting otherwise because of, "the paralyzing consequences of economic and political uncertainty — including trade wars"?

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Just explain why you assume that the tariff threat was idle.

J
    Already covered in post 606

Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    Already covered in post 606
    No it isn't. It is assumed without any factual justification. That's the article. Ed hasn't explained his reasoning either.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera