No announcement yet.

Economic, taxes, and tariffs discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FWIW, I thought the animatronic versions of Sen. Schumer and Rep. Pelosi were very life like last night.

Comment

• Interesting development here:
      China has offered a six-year boost in imports during its ongoing talks with the U.S., officials familiar with the matter told CNBC.

Wish CBB was still around to weigh in

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
        Interesting development here:
        China has offered a six-year boost in imports during its ongoing talks with the U.S., officials familiar with the matter told CNBC.

Wish CBB was still around to weigh in
        Good news, if it happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
          Good news, if it happens.
          And if it does happen - do you give someone credit for sticking his neck out there?
          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
          Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
            And if it does happen - do you give someone credit for sticking his neck out there?
            We'd have to see if the returns were worth the damage it caused. Could these devastated industries be revived by this? Certainly possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
              We'd have to see if the returns were worth the damage it caused. Could these devastated industries be revived by this? Certainly possible.
              So your saying there is a chance???? ;-)
              It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Just finished my tax returns for last year. My tax bill went up - a lot. Biggest reason was elimination of standard exemption of $8,000 (just me & the wife now) but capping taxes at $10,000 hurt a little as I was over $11,000 last year. My total deductions didn't change as I was over $24,000 last year and this year so the increase in the standard deduction didn't do anything for me. Total amount of the tax bill was about what I thought it was going to be but I didn't raise my withholdings as I was hoping I was calculating incorrectly. Need to visit payroll department today to raise that and I guess I get to cut a check this April. If there is a tax increase on everyone I wouldn't care as much but it really sucks knowing that if I had another 0 on the back of my paycheck I would probably be paying less than last year, not more.

Comment

• I know I'm getting hosed as my state income tax and property taxes alone are over 20k.....
                  "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                    I know I'm getting hosed as my state income tax and property taxes alone are over 20k.....
                    If you think that was Trump being vindictive, I'll give it to you.

That said, I love the irony of Democrats objecting to taxes based on wealth.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                      If you think that was Trump being vindictive, I'll give it to you.

That said, I love the irony of Democrats objecting to taxes based on wealth.

J
                      Yep - but hey if you are richer than someone else the government should be able to take a larger percentage of your money than the other guy. Its fair and equitable.

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                        Yep - but hey if you are richer than someone else the government should be able to take a larger percentage of your money than the other guy. Its fair and equitable.
                        Repeating this nonsense doesn't make it any more credible.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• For you BG.
                          Check out @nowthisnews’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/stat...064579584?s=09
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

• It honestly takes a special mix to witness extreme and growing inequality and argue that it's morally wrong to have a progressive tax.
                            - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Highest marginal tax rate under Eisenhower was 91%. How did we ever survive that Commie!?
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                                Highest marginal tax rate under Eisenhower was 91%. How did we ever survive that Commie!?
                                I have posted this before, but the 91% is totally misleading.
                                Richest 1% paid about 42% effective tax rate when the rate was 91%.
                                Despite high marginal income tax rates, the top 1% of taxpayers in the 1950s only paid about 42% of their income in taxes. See more about taxes on the rich.

Comment

Working...
                                X