No announcement yet.

Economic, taxes, and tariffs discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd be 100% for doubling the budget of the VA if every member of Congress had to use VA hospitals for healthcare
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Checked the back of the canadian bacon package today... "Product of USA"

YES! Tossed in cart...

"The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

when does a plane come out that i have to think in russian to steer it? :::оружие оружия:::

Comment

2.5 BILLION pounds of beef, chicken and pork have piled up in the US with nowhere to go thanks to Dumb Donnie’s tariffs.

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
            when does a plane come out that i have to think in russian to steer it? :::оружие оружия:::
            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
              2.5 BILLION pounds of beef, chicken and pork have piled up in the US with nowhere to go thanks to Dumb Donnie’s tariffs.
              that doesnt make any sense. If the retaliatory tariff was say, 10%, couldnt the seller lower their price by 10% to offset the tariff?
              "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                that doesnt make any sense. If the retaliatory tariff was say, 10%, couldnt the seller lower their price by 10% to offset the tariff?
                that assumes that the seller's profit margin is greater than 10%; if it isn't they'd be losing money.

for anyone interested (per the article, Canada's tariff is 10% on beef, Mexico's is now 20% on pork, and China's just went to 62% on pork, 37% on beef) ...

U.S. Ranchers and Meat Packers Could Be the Next Victims of the Trump Trade War
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

and make less money! Yay!! Just what every business wants to do!!
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                    that assumes that the seller's profit margin is greater than 10%; if it isn't they'd be losing money.
                    lets assume profit used to be 5%, if they have to lower prices 10% and take a 5% loss, isnt that better than losing 100%?

Comment

lets assume profit used to be 5%, if they have to lower prices 10% and take a 5% loss, isnt that better than losing 100%?
                      that would be one option; another would be for the administration to revisit it's policies on applying tariffs in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the admin will change it's approach - but lots of people are trying to raise awareness of the implications of their actions.
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

that would be one option; another would be for the administration to revisit it's policies on applying tariffs in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the admin will change it's approach - but lots of people are trying to raise awareness of the implications of their actions.
                        Of course businesses can hope the tariffs will go away but in the meantime I dont believe for one second that anyone is letting food go to waste over the retaliatory tariffs. How long can raw meat be stored before it goes bad?

Comment

Trump would never admit he made a mistake but perhaps it would be a good idea to cancel the tariffs on everyone except China and go after them even harder. Then when we're done with them move on to someone else, one at a time.

His best bet it to get some sort of small concession from Canada and the EU and then cancel the tariffs. Why does the EU apply a 10% tariff on our cars entering their countries but we only hit them with 3%? Why not get them to go down to 3% and we call it a day? Their markets are also nearly completely closed to our farmers but we can work on that later.

Comment

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...de-war-n894066

The White House plans to dole out billions of dollars in "temporary relief" to struggling farmers who have been hurt by President Donald Trump's tariffs and trade war, a senior administration official told NBC News.
                            They didn't bury the lead.

So with the stockpile of meat sitting here in the US, you'd expect us to see our prices plummet. Something to watch in the coming months.
                            "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                            - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                            - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

... His best bet it to get some sort of small concession from Canada and the EU and then cancel the tariffs. ...
                              sorry, the tariffs aren't being lifted anytime soon; apparently he doesn't like our attitude.

Comment

sorry, the tariffs aren't being lifted anytime soon; apparently he doesn't like our attitude.
                                I have to agree.

Comment

Working...
                                X