No announcement yet.

Economic, taxes, and tariffs discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harley Davidson, a target of the EU retaliatory tariff for obvious reasons, decided to move their manufacturing of EU-bound motorcycles rather than pass along the additional 25% tariff to the consumer. Additionally, since that won't happen until the end of the year, they are eating a $50m potential loss thanks to Trump. That's also a potential permanent loss of jobs in the Milwaukee area.

In response, an enraged Dopey Donald criticized them for "raising the white flag" -- as if they were even a soldier in the first place.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. If Dopey Donald expected companies -- and countries -- to "wait and see" what his unhinged administration has in store for them, or simply just sit back and take the punches, he's sorely mistaken. They're going to do what's best for themselves immediately.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

Additionally, today China lowered their tariffs to Asian countries on soybeans, from 3% to 0%, which has the effect of freezing out American soybeans, which are now more expensive due to their retaliatory tariff. Since China is the largest market of American soybeans, this may have the effect of farmers a) taking a massive loss this year; and b) the same farmers deciding to move onto other crops, thus decimating the entire American soybean market.

Trade wars are so easy to win!

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      Trade wars are so easy to win!
      You seem really excited by this!!
      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
        my sense is that there is more "complaining" coming from American companies. Most companies will not - can not - change their supply channels in a short period of time. As a result, if a manufacturer in Ohio is paying 25% more for steel, that will just get passed on to the consumer. of course, depending on the competition some companies may not be able to survive that.
        I'm now working for the NYC School Construction Authority, and the increased price of steel means that New York citizens and taxpayers will get less bang for their buck, as the funding approved in the Capital Plan won't be able to cover all of the needed capacity projects to reduce school overcrowding or the capital improvement projects to repair and modernize existing school facilities. That either means that more will be extracted from taxpayers to execute those projects or that fewer projects will be executed with the dollars that have already been allocated.

Comment

i saw some farmers are saying their farms lost 250k in value overnight.

also, i thought the whole idea of a global economy wasn't to make money as much as preventing everyone from blowing each other up? on one hand i don't think China would face a rebellion if it fell on hard times. i don't think other similar countries would if we stop buying clothes made in sweatshops. just like drug cartels would still exist in mexico, intentionally killing or holding ransom immigrants we are deporting, if we stopped buying or legalized drugs. they would find other buyers.. yet on the other hand if this results in food shortages in the world, you would have more places end up like Syria i guess.

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
            You seem really excited by this!!
            I know! Shouldn’t you be? It’s an easy slam dunk W!

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
              I know! Shouldn’t you be? It’s an easy slam dunk W!
              Exactly what should I be excited about?
              "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

I think that was intended to be sarcastic!
                I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

The easy win!

Comment

so is it a good idea to protect our steel industry? Is there a better way to do it than tariffs? Trump wants domestic steel just in case we cant get it from countries that dont like us much, like China. I dont see how that applies to Canada though.
                    We live in a global economy whether we like it or not, and the only protection we should look to implement is helping in innovation, whatever that looks like in the steel industry or any other industry. My take away from the conversation with my neighbor was the tariff is screwing his business long term. He's trying to meet the Canadian demand before the tariff kicks in, leaving his domestic clients back-ordered. He doesn't think there is enough current inventory to meet his Canadian client's needs, so he's screwed there, as well.

When competition is able to get a foothold, we know it doesn't end well. The Canadian client will probably be looking at Chinese or Canadian steel after July 15th, and my neighbor's company is going to have do whatever they can when the tariffs go away to get his foot in the door again.
                    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

so is it a good idea to protect our steel industry? Is there a better way to do it than tariffs? Trump wants domestic steel just in case we cant get it from countries that dont like us much, like China. I dont see how that applies to Canada though.
                      I just noticed this line. I don't think that's it. I don't think that this is about securing the steel supply lines. I think that this is about providing jobs (or rather, providing the perception of future jobs) to Trump's base (largely the midwest base).
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                        I'm now working for the NYC School Construction Authority, and the increased price of steel means that New York citizens and taxpayers will get less bang for their buck, as the funding approved in the Capital Plan won't be able to cover all of the needed capacity projects to reduce school overcrowding or the capital improvement projects to repair and modernize existing school facilities. That either means that more will be extracted from taxpayers to execute those projects or that fewer projects will be executed with the dollars that have already been allocated.
                        If true, your purchasing team is startlingly ineffectual. If you want hard data, please PM me and I’ll share.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I met with a client tonight who works for my largest client, a steel fabrication company in NJ. I asked him to explain to me how/if it is affecting them, and what they're doing about it.

He told me:
                          - historically, they bought steel from Canada, but from American companies who had plants there;
                          - they switched to an American company a couple of months ago after Dopey Donald initially put tariffs on Canada, but switched back to the Canadian company after Canada appealed;
                          - the Canadian companies won't even ship the steel to the US any longer for fear the customer will turn down the delivery at the door, or there will be a change in the tariffs;
                          - now, they're forced to buy steel from American companies who they say have jacked up prices further because they now have a monopoly, and he said these same companies never lowered prices in the past when the price of steel was lowered;
                          - my client is not buying ANY inventory any longer, for fear that Dopey Donald will remove the tariff, thus getting them stuck with inventory they paid 25% higher prices on;
                          - this means they no longer have inventory to do quick sales turnarounds;
                          - they're passing along the full price increase to the customer, who may have already agreed to buy a certain amount of steel at a certain price, thus leaving both the company and the customer in the lurch about if the project will continue at the higher cost;
                          - many customers are now re-thinking their projects out of fear they're going to get skunked for the 25% increase if Dopey Donald removes tariffs in the near future;
                          - that would lead to my client losing business, the customer stopping their project, and the steel company losing business.

They HATE that Dopey Donald could disrupt the entire industry:
                          a) without even thinking about the consequences; and,
                          b) he could change it back in a heartbeat, driving these managers and business owners WILD

And this is ONE industry. ONE. This FUBAR nonsense will affect all these industries getting targeted.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                            If true, your purchasing team is startlingly ineffectual. If you want hard data, please PM me and I’ll share.
                            I have ZERO clue about B-Fly's situation or Chance's information/data, but this line made me laugh!

Chance drops a 'dis on B-Fly's crew! LOL
                            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                              We don't purchase steel. We put out requests for bid on new construction, renovation or capital improvement projects. General contractors factor their steel costs into their bids. We award, by law, to the lowest qualified bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                                We don't purchase steel. We put out requests for bid on new construction, renovation or capital improvement projects. General contractors factor their steel costs into their bids. We award, by law, to the lowest qualified bidder.
                                And then when you get sued on some bogus claim, I represent you guys sometimes! Seriously, I do.

Comment

Working...
                                X