X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who would you start

I'm surprised we don't have a who would you start thread going

Anyway here's my decision this week.

Blake Snell (@HOU, vs NYY) --- best pitcher by far but really tough matchups
    Freddy Peralta (@PIT, vs STL)
    Frankie Montas (@SD)
    Shane Bieber (vs Det)

Pick 2. I'm leaning Snell/Peralta.

I'd go Snell/Peralta too.

Comment

snell for sure. I have zero confidence in Peralta and his wildness. IF K's are a priority then maybe but otherwise Bieber is my second choice.
      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

this feels like a kobayashi maru test
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
          this feels like a kobayashi maru test
          If it were an easy decision I would not ask.

But are these pitchers really that bad? This staff has been good this year. 1st place by 20 points. Pitching staff is 1st in W, 1st in saves, 2nd in Ks, 3rd in WHIP, 4th in ERA.

Who is your 7th starter in a 15 team mixed?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
            If it were an easy decision I would not ask.

But are these pitchers really that bad? This staff has been good this year. 1st place by 20 points. Pitching staff is 1st in W, 1st in saves, 2nd in Ks, 3rd in WHIP, 4th in ERA.

Who is your 7th starter in a 15 team mixed?
            so I didn't answer your question ... Snell has certainly been solid lately, but I'd seriously consider going against conventional wisdom with Peralta/Bieber. The way Houston is playing lately, and the Yankees in Tampa ... man that's dangerous.

But you seem to have been making great decisions to this point (1st by 20! nice!) ... seriously, go with your gut.
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I would never miss a two-start week from a guy turning in an ace-level season like Snell. Snell and Peralta.

Comment

Snell's season has been a little luck driven and it is certainly possible that starts correct in this week, but I plan on riding with the one who brought me until the wheels fall off. I generally go with two start guys, even with tough match ups, so id go with peralta too. Then again, with your lead, I wouldn't blame being cautious and going with Snell/bieber. But if you do that, you have to ask yourself if peralta is wasting a roster spot. In what scenario, if not now, would you ever start him? Only when he has two starts against the worst offenses in the league? If so, he probably should be replaced with someone you trust to use more.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                  I'd go Snell/Peralta too.
                  Yep, me too.

If I paid the money to get Snell or keep Snell I am getting all of his stats. Plus it almost always blows up in my face when I sit one of my starters.

Comment

Hey, we can use this as the thread. I need to start three of the following (CBS so roster does not lock with the afternoon game):

Folty: Possibly versus Orioles, but might not come off the DL
                    Kyle Gibson: Home versus Boston
                    The unluckiest pitcher alive (i.e. Jon Gray): Home versus Miami
                    Marco Estrada: @ Anahiem
                    Tyler Mahle: Home versus Detroit, and @ Atlanta.

Yuck. Strikeouts are not a major (or even minor) issue, I am in first by 87, and my three obvious starters are Scherzer, Bauer, and Taillon. Wins, ERA, and WHIP are very important. Thoughts on who the other three should be?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      Yep, me too.
                      Thanks all, I went Snell/Peralta

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                        Hey, we can use this as the thread. I need to start three of the following (CBS so roster does not lock with the afternoon game):

Folty: Possibly versus Orioles, but might not come off the DL
                        Kyle Gibson: Home versus Boston
                        The unluckiest pitcher alive (i.e. Jon Gray): Home versus Miami
                        Marco Estrada: @ Anahiem
                        Tyler Mahle: Home versus Detroit, and @ Atlanta.

Yuck. Strikeouts are not a major (or even minor) issue, I am in first by 87, and my three obvious starters are Scherzer, Bauer, and Taillon. Wins, ERA, and WHIP are very important. Thoughts on who the other three should be?
                        I'd bench Gray and Gibson, leaving Folty/Mahle/Estrada.

Comment

Interesting. I understand Gray (well, I understand benching him; I do not understand what the hell is happening there). Why Estrada over Gibson? Better matchup? Maybe I think of the Angels as having a really good lineup just because of Trout and it really isn't true.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                            Interesting. I understand Gray (well, I understand benching him; I do not understand what the hell is happening there). Why Estrada over Gibson? Better matchup? Maybe I think of the Angels as having a really good lineup just because of Trout and it really isn't true.
                            BOS has scored about 1/2 a run more per game than LAA.
                            I could see going Gibson instead, might be the better move.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                              Thanks all, I went Snell/Peralta
                              Good call so far, despite the bizarre line from Snell, giving up 7 walks in 7 innings yet still winning over Verlander and the Astros and surrendering only one run.

Comment

Working...
                              X