Let’s Remember a Guy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let’s Remember a Guy!

Deadspin has this great ongoing series where two staffers open up old packs of baseball cards and try and remember the players. That's about all it is, but if anyone would like it, it's this crew here. So let's remember some guys!

List of Guys
    June 6 - Frank Catalanotto
    June 7 - Dave Heaverlo
    June 8 - Chet Lemon
    June 9 - Luis Leal
    June 10 - Warren Newson
    June 11 - Tim Foli
    June 12 - Sixto Lezcano

Today's Guy:

Frank Catalanotto
    The guy with the very South Brooklyn name played 14 years in the majors, and while he carried a career .291/.357/.444 line, he was mostly persona non grata for fantasy purposes. He just never played enough to make any sort of dent. His best season was 2001, when he hit .330 with 11 HRs and 15 SBs.

He was once traded with current Phillies manager Gabe Kapler for Juan Gonzalez.

That's today's guy, Frank Catalanotto!

Lil Cat! The 2nd best 2B ever born in Smithtown, NY.

Comment

His heyday was when I first started playing fantasy and I always ended up having him on my team. That multi-position eligibility and high BA was just too good to pass up, playing time be damned!

Comment

I will bet he went for $25 or more in NL only leagues circa 2002.

Comment

I used him a ton in SIM leagues, where his positional flexability and RHP platoon splits made him quite useful
          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            I will bet he went for $25 or more in NL only leagues circa 2002.
            I'd be willing to take you up on that bet. What's the wager?

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
              Lil Cat! The 2nd best 2B ever born in Smithtown, NY.
              #1 — Craig Biggio!

Comment

From Rangers Rundown - March 2002.

OF/1B/2B/3B – FRANK CATALANOTTO (projected for .310 / 93 / 16 / 69 / 15 in 600 plate appearances). His eligibility at multiple positions is a huge bonus. Expect Cat to lead off and get the bulk of the starts in left field while spotting at 1B and 2B. One question is whether the Rangers will continue to rest him against lefties, even though his career on-base percentage against lefties is higher than any other Ranger outfielder.

2001 was his age 27 season. 12 team AL only, what do you think he goes for?
                Last edited by Gregg; 06-06-2018, 03:43 PM.

Comment

OF/1B/2B/3B – FRANK CATALANOTTO (projected for .310 / 93 / 16 / 69 / 15 in 600 plate appearances). His eligibility at multiple positions is a huge bonus. Expect Cat to lead off and get the bulk of the starts in left field while spotting at 1B and 2B. One question is whether the Rangers will continue to rest him against lefties, even though his career on-base percentage against lefties is higher than any other Ranger outfielder.

2001 was his age 27 season. 12 team NL only, what do you think he goes for?
                  Zero.

Comment

2001 was his age 27 season. 12 team NL only, what do you think he goes for?
                    $0.

He played for Texas in 2002.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                      He played for Texas in 2002.
                      You gave it away! He was supposed to make his bet first.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        Zero.
                        Duh, I have no idea why I typed NL instead of AL.

Nope, no idea at all...I got nothin.

Comment

Duh, I have no idea why I typed NL instead of AL.

Nope, no idea at all...I got nothin.
                          I'd give you a break but you did it twice

Comment

Today's Guy:

Dave Heaverlo

If you were a baseball card collector from 1978-1981, chances are you got a Dave Heaverlo card in every other pack. He was one of those players whose cards you did not care about when you lost it in a flip. Heaverlo, a middle reliever, had a non-descript 7-year career with the Giants, A's and Mariners -- three teams who were relegated to the second division in the late 1970s -- so it was rare if you ever saw him play. But that name -- Heaverlo! It seems he was part of an entire group of non-athletic, looked-like-your-uncle shlubs that made up a large portion of the majors in that era.

He was included in the deal that sent Vida Blue from the A's to the Giants, and as we see below, was apparently nicknamed "Kojak."

Heaverlo finished his career in 1981 with a robust 4.8 K/9 rate, but a surprisingly good 3.34 ERA.

Let's hear it for Today's Guy, Dave Heaverlo!

Comment

I had an Avalon Hill baseball game based on the 1978 season. Heaverlo was part of a good relief corps for the A's that year along with Elias Sosa and Bob Lacey. Heaverlo could pitch a lot of innings and had a 2-7 rating (meaning he was a little better than average).

Comment

Working...
                              X