Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Letís Remember a Guy!

Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    Today's Guy

Eric Soderholm
    He's another in a long line of players from the 1970s and 1980s who looked more like your high school chemistry teacher than a professional baseball player. Soderholm had a solid, if unspectacular, 9-year career from 1971 until 1980, with the Twins, White Sox, Rangers and Yankees.

He was the Twins starting third baseman from '71 until '75, then missed the entire 1976 campaign with a knee injury. Following that missed year, he signed as a free agent with the White Sox and had the best season of his career, hitting .280/.350/.500 with 25 HRs and 67 RBIs. He followed that up with a solid 20 HR, 67 RBI season. The White Sox traded him to the Rangers midway through the 1979 season, who then shipped him to the Yankees for the 1980 season, his last.

Today he owns the "Soder World Health & Wellness Center" a successful yoga/therapy/hippie facility in the Chicago area.

That's today's guy, Eric Soderholm!

A lot of us looked like that back then. Before I started wearing contact lenses, I sometimes had glasses like those.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    Today's Guy

Biff Pocoroba
    I love that name. Yes, it's his real name. And the Braves of the late 1970s had many of these great names: Rowland Office, Mike Lum, Pepe Frias, Pat Rockett, Buzz Capra, Bill Nahorodny.
    Long-time Reds analyst Joe Nuxhall spent years trying to pronounce Biff's name correctly--and never did. Of course, Joe was usually sauced by the time Biff came up to pinch-hit late in the game, and it was hysterical when he'd fumble the name so badly.

Joe was one reason I loved to listen to doubleheaders. He'd be so gone by the end of the nightcap.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
    Long-time Reds analyst Joe Nuxhall spent years trying to pronounce Biff's name correctly--and never did. Of course, Joe was usually sauced by the time Biff came up to pinch-hit late in the game, and it was hysterical when he'd fumble the name so badly.

Joe was one reason I loved to listen to doubleheaders. He'd be so gone by the end of the nightcap.
    One of my friends who was raised in Chicago but has lived in Cinci for a while used to joke that it took Harry Caray AND Jimmy Piersall together to outdrink Nuxhall.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

for those too young to remember, Biff's last name as pronounced

"Poco" - the band or the Spanish word for "little" so that was easy

"ro" - like Preacher "Roe" or "row" boat

"ba" - like in "bu bye" or "buh"

I can think of thousands of baseball names more difficult to pronounce - the three drunk announcers' names could even qualify

POCO-roe-ba
    entering 37th yr in same 12-team NL 5x5
    horrendous final week dropped me from a shot at 3rd to 6th
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

2020 AUCTION candidates (keep up to 11)
    SP Scherzer 44, Samardzija 1, CSmith 1, Cueto 1, Marquez 10
    RP Stanek 8
    C Realmuto 13, 1O Belt 10, SS BCrawford 9
    OF CDickerson 17, O1 Cooper 10, JDyson 8

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Jude View Post
    for those too young to remember, Biff's last name as pronounced

"Poco" - the band or the Spanish word for "little" so that was easy

"ro" - like Preacher "Roe" or "row" boat

"ba" - like in "bu bye" or "buh"

I can think of thousands of baseball names more difficult to pronounce - the three drunk announcers' names could even qualify

POCO-roe-ba
    That's what made it so hysterical when Nuxhall would mangle Biff's last name. It wasn't that tough--but then again, maybe he didn't take six years of Spanish like I did. I don't think Joe took six years of anything.

-- William James