No announcement yet.

Warriors-Cavaliers IV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love the NBA and am happy with the style of play, which is far more up-tempo than the style I watched in the 80s and 90s, when it was much easier to just beat up physically the opposing team. It shouldn't be football. Like hockey, the NBA has made it harder to roster and give playing time to goons whose job was primarily to use up their 6 fouls to punish anyone who's trying to score. The downside is more free throws, but overall I think it's better basketball over the course of the season. The Warriors when executing well are beautiful to watch - probably a more beautiful play style than any team ever, including the Showtime Lakers. Things still (as they always did) tighten up in the playoffs, which leads to more energy expended on defense, swallowed whistles, more isolation plays, and more bad shots at the end of the clock than you'd see in the regular season. But the NBA has become by far my favorite spectator sport and even my favorite fantasy/roto sport. The quality of the athletes and the opportunity for creativity during the course of play are exceptional. And it's a perfect sport for television. It's probably the only sport I can watch and enjoy regardless of which teams are playing.

Comment

Yeah, I think the NBA is playing at a very high level right now. The Rockets shot 36% on 3PT for the season, but had a historically bad Game 7. Most of the NBA does not shoot as many threes as the Rockets - the league average is around 1/3.

The team defense in the NBA is better than ever. The players are so athletic, and the switches are so smooth, that it's really hard for teams to get open shots. And the skill level of players like Curry and Durant is so high. Curry has the highest True Shooting Percentage (62.1%) of any guard in NBA history, and he does it at a very high volume, with almost 8 3PA/Game. Durant has a TS% of 61.1%, putting him in the Top 10 in NBA history. There are tremendous passers playing today, especially young guys like Simmons and Ball. There are centers like Nikola Jokic who are making plays that no one ever has before. And of course there is LeBron, who excels at every aspect of the game. Overall, I think the NBA is in a pretty good spot.

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
        Yeah, I think the NBA is playing at a very high level right now. The Rockets shot 36% on 3PT for the season, but had a historically bad Game 7. Most of the NBA does not shoot as many threes as the Rockets - the league average is around 1/3.

The team defense in the NBA is better than ever. The players are so athletic, and the switches are so smooth, that it's really hard for teams to get open shots. And the skill level of players like Curry and Durant is so high. Curry has the highest True Shooting Percentage (62.1%) of any guard in NBA history, and he does it at a very high volume, with almost 8 3PA/Game. Durant has a TS% of 61.1%, putting him in the Top 10 in NBA history. There are tremendous passers playing today, especially young guys like Simmons and Ball. There are centers like Nikola Jokic who are making plays that no one ever has before. And of course there is LeBron, who excels at every aspect of the game. Overall, I think the NBA is in a pretty good spot.

Having said all that - The NBA is a different animal then what everyone else plays. Their Rules are not the same Rules as College, High school,rec leagues - Past NBA play and this is what drives most people away or to criticize it. The Banging ,grabbing on every play and the walking /Euro step throw old time fans into a tizzy.
        Iso ball also drives Fans loony screaming at their TV to quit pounding the ball and move .

Comment

Damarious Randall sure stepped in it on Twitter. He's lucky that a Twitter promise isn't binding, lol.

A Twitter post from Cleveland Browns safety Damarious Randall  has broken a record for a tweet by an NFL player. He wrote , "If the Cleveland Cavaliers win the 2018 NBA Finals , I'll buy everyone who retweets this a jersey...

Comment

Fantastic Game 1, at least until the final minute of regulation. The missed FT from Hill was costly, as was the brain cramp from JR, but the biggest play was probably the reverse of the block/charge call with 36 seconds left. Tough loss for the Cavs. I can't believe they were even in the game given how poorly LeBron's supporting cast played. Aside from LeBron and Love, the Cavs shot 16-47. They need to get more from Hill/Clarkson/JR/Korver/Green/Hood.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
              Damarious Randall sure stepped in it on Twitter. He's lucky that a Twitter promise isn't binding, lol.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...aign=editorial
              0.o

Maybe he'll buy all 700k of them one jersey and leave it up to them to decide how to share it.
              Last edited by heyelander; 05-31-2018, 11:57 PM.
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I only saw the OT - begged by Twitter - and replays of the ridiculous JR Smith choke at the end of reg.

the OT was worse. not that it mattered, but the unneeded T on the Cavs and then Green taunting and getting away with it smelled too much like WWE.

I have always concluded that the idea that the sporting public would be corrupted by knowing the legal sports betting angles was silly - but look at this game. again, up to $150B gets bet in the US illegally already each year. but for the legal-minded Joe who now or soon can bet legally, that end game would not smell kosher. I mean, some poor decisions were made and I don't question integrity - and I used to sit courtside watching Tim Donaghy make lame calls 10 feet from my seat.

but yes, fans will - and more and more next season.
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
                  Fantastic Game 1, at least until the final minute of regulation. The missed FT from Hill was costly, as was the brain cramp from JR, but the biggest play was probably the reverse of the block/charge call with 36 seconds left. Tough loss for the Cavs. I can't believe they were even in the game given how poorly LeBron's supporting cast played. Aside from LeBron and Love, the Cavs shot 16-47. They need to get more from Hill/Clarkson/JR/Korver/Green/Hood.
                  I think the rule allowing them to change a judgment call charge vs. block call while reviewing to see if he was outside the restricted area is bunk, but I'm not sure you could have argued a block call had it been made initially. There were a couple of bad calls in the 4th quarter where a clean strip was called a foul and a foul was called a clean strip, all seemingly in favor of the Warriors. But wow, that was a really fantastic game outside of the Hill/JR chokes and lopsided OT. LeBron is just a beast. Given how heavily favored the Warriors were/are, it's a shame the Cavs missed their opportunity to steal Game 1 and put the whole series more into question.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                    I only saw the OT - begged by Twitter - and replays of the ridiculous JR Smith choke at the end of reg.

the OT was worse. not that it mattered, but the unneeded T on the Cavs and then Green taunting and getting away with it smelled too much like WWE.

I have always concluded that the idea that the sporting public would be corrupted by knowing the legal sports betting angles was silly - but look at this game. again, up to $150B gets bet in the US illegally already each year. but for the legal-minded Joe who now or soon can bet legally, that end game would not smell kosher. I mean, some poor decisions were made and I don't question integrity - and I used to sit courtside watching Tim Donaghy make lame calls 10 feet from my seat.

but yes, fans will - and more and more next season.
                    I actually thought the T on Tristan was warranted upon seeing the replay. That elbow was not a natural defensive motion - it was an intended cheap shot. Green showed remarkable restraint (with help from his teammates) in not responding to Tristan's ball to the face move. Trash talking is part of the game and always has been, and it's fun for the vast majority of the players and the fans, so I certainly wouldn't expect the refs to start T-ing up guys for smirks, shrugs and shimmies.

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
                      Having said all that - The NBA is a different animal then what everyone else plays. Their Rules are not the same Rules as College, High school,rec leagues - Past NBA play and this is what drives most people away or to criticize it. The Banging ,grabbing on every play and the walking /Euro step throw old time fans into a tizzy.
                      Iso ball also drives Fans loony screaming at their TV to quit pounding the ball and move .
                      This game summed up the above statement - horrible ref game. Topped off by a choke and a brain dead play. We should have won this game. I will be curious of how we play Sunday. We proved we can play with them but that loss might have been to much of a gut shot to over come.

Comment

Well, it's definitely looking like the Cavs' ref-aided failure to secure the Game 1 stunner is going to deny us the enjoyment of a competitive Finals. Maybe the Cavs can win one game like last year, but last year they at least had Kyrie to score 40 points. This year's team doesn't have nearly enough weapons, even when the role players play decently. It's tough to imagine that LeBron will stay in Cleveland.

Comment

Working...
                        X