NL-only - trading a closer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL-only - trading a closer

10-team NL-only 5x5. I'm in third with a team that probably isn't underperforming too much, but it's early and there are a lot of points I could make up quickly.

I have what looks like three solid closers now - Familia $15X, Knebel $10B, Norris $10A. And with Ryan McMahon turning into a pumpkin I'm starting Prado at 3B so that's awful. If/when my hitters get off the DL (Braun and LeMahieu) that's really my only egregiously weak spot other than Austin Barnes as my second catcher.

The only team I've reached out to so far has offered Franco $10X or Brian Anderson $5A in a deal for a closer. I'd probably ask for a little more but not sure what - maybe I could get Austin Riley or Josh Naylor. The other team that's doing well and needs saves doesn't really have someone that would be a good match. I could probably get Matt Carpenter $16A, who's been hot for a week, or I could just ignore third and ask for various random guys like Thames $12B, Hampson $5, Nimmo $5A, Quintana $23A... maybe I could get Walker Buehler $5A but I doubt it.

Who should I try to get and which of my closers should I offer?

(full-health roster:
    C: Cervelli, Barnes
    1B: Freeman
    2B: LeMahieu
    SS: Russell
    3B: Prado
    MI: Happ
    CI: Braun
    OF: Conforto, Dickerson, Peralta, Pham, Schebler
    UT: Alen Hanson
    bench: Meadows, Saladino, etc

SP: Flaherty, Godley, Syndergaard, Teheran, Weaver
    RP: Familia, Knebel, Norris, Ottavino
    bench: Blach, Gohara, Jimmy Nelson, Fields)
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

I would offer Familia, who appears solid but is a little flaky. Knebel is a stud and no one will buy in on Norris in a trade.

Carpenter is interesting. the shift had been killing him, but he seems to have made adjustments. I'd look at how much he projects to help you. he also has a slightly higher xBA than Anderson, who seems more of a paper tiger.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I think you definitely need some hitting upgrades in the infield (3B) in particular.

I would advertise my closers and would ask responders which one they prefer. You might be surprised at the answers. Give them the one they want and either get a solid no questions 3B or at a minimum something like Franco plus a pretty decent prospect. Someone like Rendon who is off to a rough start would be a nice target. Justin Turner...

Comment

Ended up with Franco and Josh Naylor for Familia. It got a bit more urgent with Prado having what was probably a career-ending injury.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

that improves your particular roster. how much is MFranco?

I own Naylor, too - he's blocked, but if he gets dealt within the NL......

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

$10 expiring. It's pretty much salary neutral.

Comment

sounds fine

Mets love Gsellman fwiw

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
              X