Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking out the window while in your own house while black:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/12/us/fo...ing/index.html

A black woman was shot and killed by a white police officer in her Fort Worth, Texas home after a neighbor called dispatchers to report the woman's front door was open, police said.
    The officers were searching the perimeter of the woman's home when they saw a person standing near a window inside and one of them opened fire, killing her, Fort Worth police said.
    He said he was trying to be a good neighbor and called authorities so they could check on Jefferson.
    "I'm shaken. I'm mad. I'm upset. And I feel it's partly my fault," he told the news outlet. "If I had never dialed the police department, she'd still be alive."
    edit: Same story as posted by GITH 2 minutes prior.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Standing in your own front yard.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
        That may not be true for long.
        True, but not for the reason you thought. The Joshua Brown murder appears to be unrelated to the Amber Guyger trial.

But this new Atatiana Jefferson shooting is crazy. I heard the audio today and it's scary. More murder charges coming I would think.

Comment

• Getting into a fender-bender:
          The teacher at Drexel Hill Middle School also told the parent that he was "probably on welfare" after the two had a fender bender in the school's parking lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
            Once upon a Time in DFW...……..

Same ol story.

Another White cop killing a Black citizen who was doing nothing but existing in their own residence.

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/13/76989...6rCIkJdB02477c
            Arrested for murder.

The former Fort Worth police officer who fatally shot Atatiana Jefferson in her home Saturday morning was arrested and charged with murder Monday, police said.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
              I am still dumbfounded, given the reputation of that police force, that her neighbor called for a check up on her. I realize it was a non-emergency number and he was concerned and just wanted a check up for her. And in an ideal world, where some officers are not trigger happy murders-to-be, that is a reasonable thing to do. But we do not live in that world. I have a mix of feeling for that guy--if I were her friend or family member, I'd hate him for it, but I also feel bad for him, because he contributed to her death by accident, doing what he thought was the right thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                I am still dumbfounded, given the reputation of that police force, that her neighbor called for a check up on her. I realize it was a non-emergency number and he was concerned and just wanted a check up for her. And in an ideal world, where some officers are not trigger happy murders-to-be, that is a reasonable thing to do. But we do not live in that world. I have a mix of feeling for that guy--if I were her friend or family member, I'd hate him for it, but I also feel bad for him, because he contributed to her death by accident, doing what he thought was the right thing.
                Seems like that's the wrong approach - 99.99% of the time when police are called they do not shoot an innocent person. That doesn't excuse the officer from shooting someone for no reason - even one single mistake is inexcusable (and obviously there have been a lot more than one). But to me it does excuse the neighbor for calling them. He did the right thing.

To me that's like saying you shouldn't drive to the hospital to deliver your child if your wife's water breaks because cars are dangerous and people get in accidents.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  Seems like that's the wrong approach - 99.99% of the time when police are called they do not shoot an innocent person. That doesn't excuse the officer from shooting someone for no reason - even one single mistake is inexcusable (and obviously there have been a lot more than one). But to me it does excuse the neighbor for calling them. He did the right thing.

To me that's like saying you shouldn't drive to the hospital to deliver your child if your wife's water breaks because cars are dangerous and people get in accidents.
                  There are communities of people who don't trust hospitals, or banks, or police. Right or wrong based on the math, some folks just don't call the cops in some areas. Secondary victims from this may be those in that neighborhood who now choose not to call the cops. In the meantime, if I am that guy, I am torturing myself over not just going over there to check myself. With all the stories about how some officers escalate things out there, I'd bet he is thinking that--why didn't I just go over myself and knock on the door?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                    There are communities of people who don't trust hospitals, or banks, or police. Right or wrong based on the math, some folks just don't call the cops in some areas. Secondary victims from this may be those in that neighborhood who now choose not to call the cops. In the meantime, if I am that guy, I am torturing myself over not just going over there to check myself. With all the stories about how some officers escalate things out there, I'd bet he is thinking that--why didn't I just go over myself and knock on the door?
                    We always look for answers in hindsight for all tragedies great or small. I should of or could of is much easier to see in hindsight.

I think that is what is happening with your point is about trusting. Hospitals are to be trusted in general because it is the best we got. But you better be or have a patient advocate because a lot can go wrong with the best we got. Plenty of stories about tragedies and hospitals.

Seems like there are too many that do not believe in vaccines as they "know" of some tragic result, still doing the math not best choice.

Your example of "if I am that guy" doesn't play out. If you are that guy that thinks he needs to call the police, then you are also that guy who thinks there is possible danger. You are not trained or equipped to handle that kind of danger. The math works against you if the danger is real. In hindsight you can see that the danger is not real. You did not have that information at the time of the call.

The right call is to call the police it is the best option we got. In hindsight we know that in this individual case it had a terrible and unacceptable outcome. Now the murderer must pay. And that Police Department will have to see how they can use this tragedy to learn and prevent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      We always look for answers in hindsight for all tragedies great or small. I should of or could of is much easier to see in hindsight.

I think that is what is happening with your point is about trusting. Hospitals are to be trusted in general because it is the best we got. But you better be or have a patient advocate because a lot can go wrong with the best we got. Plenty of stories about tragedies and hospitals.

Seems like there are too many that do not believe in vaccines as they "know" of some tragic result, still doing the math not best choice.

Your example of "if I am that guy" doesn't play out. If you are that guy that thinks he needs to call the police, then you are also that guy who thinks there is possible danger. You are not trained or equipped to handle that kind of danger. The math works against you if the danger is real. In hindsight you can see that the danger is not real. You did not have that information at the time of the call.

The right call is to call the police it is the best option we got. In hindsight we know that in this individual case it had a terrible and unacceptable outcome. Now the murderer must pay. And that Police Department will have to see how they can use this tragedy to learn and prevent.
                      Logically, this is true. But, and I'm not trying to be offensive, this logic is a privileged one. There are, infuriatingly, communities that "calling the police" increases the likelihood of a bad outcome.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Not trying to be offensive, but this calculus is a privileged one. There are, infuriatingly, communities that "calling the police" increases the likelihood of a bad outcome.
                        Anecdotally or by actual statistics? If you said people "feel" like it increases the likelihood of a bad outcome, you are no doubt correct.

Comment

Disagree.

Reasons for someone to have their door open: Moving furniture, waiting for a friend or family member to stop by, installing a new door, or screen door, or there's a problem with the door, you burned food and you're airing the house out, house was fumigated and needs airing out, house was painted and needs airing out, it's a hot damn day and you want some air to filter through... Need I continue?

Reasons to phone the police: Someone's front door is open... Nope. Police escalate violence and assume threats because of their shitty training which renders them scared little babies with itchy trigger fingers. That should be the takeaway from this incident. Phoning the police is not "the right call". Phoning police without seeing a clear threat is YOU assuming the worst. If you phone police because you make a bad assumption of a threat, and they respond to that assumed threat with force, yeah, it's on you. I have police pretty low on my list of threat resolutions, let alone "oh, check on that open door, something bad could be happening..." Pathetic response for the neighbor to phone police, pathetic response by the police. Neither response was unpredictable, however.
                          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Logically, this is true. But, and I'm not trying to be offensive, this logic is a privileged one. There are, infuriatingly, communities that "calling the police" increases the likelihood of a bad outcome.
                            No offense taken.

I do not doubt that I am privileged in many ways. Having a bad experience with a policeman does not make me a brother in arms. It just means I got involved with a crappy policeman.

In this example Sour stated I am still dumbfounded, given the reputation of that police force, that her neighbor called for a check up on her. It is obvious that the neighbor did not think of the police department like Sour. I am suggesting that we often times beat ourselves up in hindsight. No offense to Sour. I am often in the same boat.

I think the math still supports calling the police even though this had a terrible and unacceptable outcome.

As an added terrible outcome, this community will now have to deal with the "feeling" that the police are now their enemies and not the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                              Disagree.

Reasons for someone to have their door open: Moving furniture, waiting for a friend or family member to stop by, installing a new door, or screen door, or there's a problem with the door, you burned food and you're airing the house out, house was fumigated and needs airing out, house was painted and needs airing out, it's a hot damn day and you want some air to filter through... Need I continue?

Reasons to phone the police: Someone's front door is open... Nope. Police escalate violence and assume threats because of their shitty training which renders them scared little babies with itchy trigger fingers. That should be the takeaway from this incident. Phoning the police is not "the right call". Phoning police without seeing a clear threat is YOU assuming the worst. If you phone police because you make a bad assumption of a threat, and they respond to that assumed threat with force, yeah, it's on you. I have police pretty low on my list of threat resolutions, let alone "oh, check on that open door, something bad could be happening..." Pathetic response for the neighbor to phone police, pathetic response by the police. Neither response was unpredictable, however.
                              So why did the neighbor really call the police?

Comment

No offense taken.

I do not doubt that I am privileged in many ways. Having a bad experience with a policeman does not make me a brother in arms. It just means I got involved with a crappy policeman.

In this example Sour stated I am still dumbfounded, given the reputation of that police force, that her neighbor called for a check up on her. It is obvious that the neighbor did not think of the police department like Sour. I am suggesting that we often times beat ourselves up in hindsight. No offense to Sour. I am often in the same boat.

I think the math still supports calling the police even though this had a terrible and unacceptable outcome.

As an added terrible outcome, this community will now have to deal with the "feeling" that the police are now their enemies and not the right call.
                                Serious question. You see a neighbor's door open. You see nothing else suspicious of note. What are the mathematical odds that a crime is taking place, or that a medical emergency is underway, based on the only evidence that we have: an open door?
                                Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Working...
                                X