No announcement yet.

#___ingwhileblack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door open. Call police? I know gregg said 99.9 % police arent going to shoot an innocent person. I think that may be correct in some areas. I am also sure police likely escalate in tons of cases.

You cant check on a neighbor who is a few feet away, yourself verbally call out, hey mabel, you ok? Or make a cell call if you have their number like I would think many of us have contact info of our immediate neighbors. I wouldnt call police, and I know I am not surprised when police arrive and escalate, do some illegal search, throw you on ground and dare you to do something so they can pile on. Police job consists of for most part arrive well after the fact of incidents to file a report, and exercise their superiority over dark skin or otherwise voiceless populace a large percent of time. If I am needing to talk to a cop I want it to be filmed, not on their camera which will magically stop recording when they do something they shouldnt, but on cell uploaded to cloud as I want them accountable.

Yes I have a couple stops where I did nothing wrong and was roughed up and was absolutely dared to respond so they could pounce. I hold my breath till police go on to harass someone else but I never feel good about a cop in my area looking me over. You could, btw if you wanted to piss yourself off, see an endless lineup of youtube videos of cops conforming to my world view which I am sure some of you will call ridiculous. Good for you, you havent been unfairly targeted and roughed up on multiple occasions by paid bullies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
      Serious question. You see a neighbor's door open. You see nothing else suspicious of note. What are the mathematical odds that a crime is taking place, or that a medical emergency is underway, based on the only evidence that we have: an open door?
      Why are you leaving out the fact that it was 2 AM? That's not a normal thing.

My neighbor came by at 11 PM the other night to tell me that my car door had been left open (my daughter forgot to close it when she got out of the car). I was concerned answering the door at that hour, but once he identified himself and let me know why he was there I was extremely thankful.

There have been kids going through cars in my neighborhood on a regular basis (I get emails from nextdoor or ring regularly showing someone on a cam trying to open a car door).

My neighbor likely saved me from having some tools stolen. That's what neighbors do. Have you never heard the state farm commercials "like a good neighbor"?

Blaming the neighbor is beyond ridiculous. 100% of the blame lies on the cop. 100%.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        So why did the neighbor really call the police?
        Nosy neighbor with no life, creating drama under the illusion of protecting people. Because like you, it would never occur to this neighbor that involving police is much more likely to escalate violence than to stop it. It would never occur to them that wasting tax payer dollars to check on an open door has a greater likelihood of increasing violence. People who have never been criminalized, or especially never been personally mistreated or abused by police, would be shocked at the amount of harm caused by a group of former high school bullies given guns and zero accountability to the public. These stories should make it clear, but somehow there's an endless amount of "bad apples", who never affect police as an institution. Funny how that works.
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
          Door open. Call police? I know gregg said 99.9 % police arent going to shoot an innocent person. I think that may be correct in some areas. I am also sure police likely escalate in tons of cases.

You cant check on a neighbor who is a few feet away, yourself verbally call out, hey mabel, you ok? Or make a cell call if you have their number like I would think many of us have contact info of our immediate neighbors. I wouldnt call police, and I know I am not surprised when police arrive and escalate, do some illegal search, throw you on ground and dare you to do something so they can pile on. Police job consists of for most part arrive well after the fact of incidents to file a report, and exercise their superiority over dark skin or otherwise voiceless populace a large percent of time. If I am needing to talk to a cop I want it to be filmed, not on their camera which will magically stop recording when they do something they shouldnt, but on cell uploaded to cloud as I want them accountable.

Yes I have a couple stops where I did nothing wrong and was roughed up and was absolutely dared to respond so they could pounce. I hold my breath till police go on to harass someone else but I never feel good about a cop in my area looking me over. You could, btw if you wanted to piss yourself off, see an endless lineup of youtube videos of cops conforming to my world view which I am sure some of you will call ridiculous. Good for you, you havent been unfairly targeted and roughed up on multiple occasions by paid bullies.
          Good post. Police are absolutely more likely to escalate things. It's part of the business model.
          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Police are absolutely more likely to escalate things. It's part of the business model.
            Link?

Comment

Serious question. You see a neighbor's door open. You see nothing else suspicious of note. What are the mathematical odds that a crime is taking place, or that a medical emergency is underway, based on the only evidence that we have: an open door?
              I have come upon several open doors in my lifetime. I have moved in cautiously and yelled the person's name. The hair stood up on my neck and arms. I felt a bit of fear and trepidation but not enough to call the police or prevent me from taking a few steps in. I am not saying this is the smartest response. It is probably the subconscious belief that odds are nothing is wrong. Of course if something was wrong it could be a bad outcome.

Is it possible that the neighborhood is so bad that the neighbor thinks open doors are signs of something gone wrong?

We are still left with the question: Why did the neighbor call the police?

Comment

• If it's 2 am then it makes more sense. It's not normal to have one's door wide open at that hour. I'm not saying I would've called the cops but it's understandable why someone would. Now the POS murderer needs to receive a lengthy prison sentence and the taxpayers get to compensate her family.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
                  Door open. Call police? I know gregg said 99.9 % police arent going to shoot an innocent person. I think that may be correct in some areas. I am also sure police likely escalate in tons of cases.

I am very sorry that you have had to experience this. It is not fair and sickens me that we are far away from a solution.

Comment

I have come upon several open doors in my lifetime. I have moved in cautiously and yelled the person's name. The hair stood up on my neck and arms. I felt a bit of fear and trepidation but not enough to call the police or prevent me from taking a few steps in. I am not saying this is the smartest response. It is probably the subconscious belief that odds are nothing is wrong. Of course if something was wrong it could be a bad outcome.

Is it possible that the neighborhood is so bad that the neighbor thinks open doors are signs of something gone wrong?

I don't deny that the neighbor phoned police with the intention of looking out for a neighbor. I'm saying that the instinct to trust police to de-escalate is a poor instinct. Unless you see a clear crime in progress, keep the police out of it.

Personally, I've fallen asleep with my front door open a few times. If I woke up to police confrontation because of it, you'd better believe I'm blaming my neighbor for their poor instinct.

Comment

There's no question, he was interviewed

"The door had been open for hours and that he didn’t see any movement when he went to the house himself, so he’d called for authorities to make sure his neighbors were OK."

Comment

• [QUOTE=Teenwolf;350509]I don't deny that the neighbor phoned police with the intention of looking out for a neighbor. I'm saying that the instinct to trust police to de-escalate is a poor instinct. Unless you see a clear crime in progress, keep the police out of it.

Personally, I've fallen asleep with my front door open a few times. If I woke up to police confrontation because of it, you'd better believe I'm blaming my neighbor for their poor instinct.[/QUOTE

I have never and would never fall asleep with my front door open. That is asking for some kind of trouble. Squirrels, drunks, thieves, prankster friends, old girl friends, stray dogs, policemen. I come in and automatically close and lock the door.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                          Anecdotally or by actual statistics? If you said people "feel" like it increases the likelihood of a bad outcome, you are no doubt correct.

It actual--Black men/women are killed more often by police than their white counterparts. This is what several movements in the POC communities are trying to communicate to Non POC--being White has privilege--like not having to worry AS MUCH about being killed by the police.

As you've stated, most police interactions are routine and end without incident, but If and When things go wrong, they go wrong from POC more often than White folks.

That's what I believe DMT was referring to as Privileged logic.

had the neighbor in this case acted ;like yours did and just checked in on her himself things might have ended differently. Not that he's at fault (though he's stated that feels he is) but again, had he just checked in himself....
                          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I'm saying that the instinct to trust police to de-escalate is a poor instinct. Unless you see a clear crime in progress, keep the police out of it.
                            That's anecdotal though. It's like someone who has been in a car accident saying you should never drive. Unless you have evidence of the contrary?

There are always stories about the bad things that happen - and there should be, those need to be addressed and fixed and in this case the murderer needs to be locked up. But you don't see 100,000 stories about how someone called a non-emergency line to check on someone and nothing negative happened. Why would you?

Making assumptions only on the .001% case is just bad logic.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Gregg;350512]
                              Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                              I don't deny that the neighbor phoned police with the intention of looking out for a neighbor. I'm saying that the instinct to trust police to de-escalate is a poor instinct. Unless you see a clear crime in progress, keep the police out of it.

Personally, I've fallen asleep with my front door open a few times. If I woke up to police confrontation because of it, you'd better believe I'm blaming my neighbor for their poor instinct.[/QUOTE

I have never and would never fall asleep with my front door open. That is asking for some kind of trouble. Squirrels, drunks, thieves, prankster friends, old girl friends, stray dogs, policemen. I come in and automatically close and lock the door.
                              Doesn't sound like a very pleasant existence.

We rarely lock the door before it's time to go to bed and there's always at least 2 windows open at all times (outside of the 3 days in Winter when it gets cold here in So Cal)
                              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                                There's no question, he was interviewed

"The door had been open for hours and that he didn’t see any movement when he went to the house himself, so he’d called for authorities to make sure his neighbors were OK."
                                I was asking for the "real" reason.

I am of the belief that this was handled correctly except for the part of the trigger happy murdering cop who was part of the response team. My post was more about hindsight and statistics than anything else.

Comment

Working...
                                X