No announcement yet.

Adalberto Mondesi watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have held on to him for 3 years - even tho we have a team in our league named "The Rauls of Mondesi" - After his Dad.

I saw him in person last Spring training and he can fly. Stole 4 bases that day . Stole third and didn't get a throw or the third baseman to move.

Comment

I managed to slip him in under the weekly lineup deadline Sunday. I'm glad I won't have an N/A all week.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I have no idea if he's good. If you extrapolated his season out to a full year, which who knows if the Royals will ever let him get while Alcides Escobar is breathing, he'd have a .272 OBP... but a .259 AVG, 20 HR, and 60 SB. To be fair, that SB total is pretty inflated because he's gotten a bunch of pinch-running appearances with SB, so that's good to remember - if he was actually starting those days, instead of that one guaranteed time on first, he'd have four at-bats at a .272 OBP. He has a horrible 1.7 BB% and 29.4 K%.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I've been loving the HR/SB mix. I wonder if he'll prove to be a 3 yr extension to $15 or just 2 yrs for $10... SB are so scarce, he might justify the risk for 3 years. 40 SB guys are never available under $30.
          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
            I've been loving the HR/SB mix. I wonder if he'll prove to be a 3 yr extension to $15 or just 2 yrs for $10... SB are so scarce, he might justify the risk for 3 years. 40 SB guys are never available under $30.
            What format? I have him at $9A in a 15 team mixed and he may be worth keeping but I'm not convinced quite yet.

Comment

The thing to remember about Mondesi is that he turned 23 just before the trade deadline. He seems to have been around forever because he was a pinch runner in post season as a teenager. He's a toolsy guy starting to figure it out and who and plays very good defense..

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                What format? I have him at $9A in a 15 team mixed and he may be worth keeping but I'm not convinced quite yet.
                Definitely a keeper at $9A, even in a slightly shallow 15 teamer... not many players with 20 HR/40 SB upside. Especially since you get 1 more year to extension time, see if he can get remotely close to his current 162 game pace.

I have him at $5B in a 12 tm AL Only, so I'll need to make a decision on extension without having seen a full season, but if he finishes strong I could take a plunge to 3 years at $15.
                Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

With me it two increasing cost options.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                    With me it two increasing cost options.

J
                    .. Huh?

Comment

.. Huh?
                      It's a modified draft league. I have options for 2019 and 2020, possibly 2021, that increase in cost.

Specifically, I have to give up a draft pick. Each year the cost gos up 4 rounds or roughly 80 picks. In 2019 I expect his option will be about 200-220. In 2020 it will be about 120-140 which is likely doable. 2021 he will be top 50ish, ie maybe but probably not.

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Picked this cat up as a $10 replacement for a $1 Soler, whom he’s “tied to” contractually per leaguerules. I.e., I’d have to decide between the two upon Soler’s return. Then, the baseball god’s took an expiring contract Dozier from me, and left me a niceopen roster slot with which to keep both. Roto is definitely smiling on me this year.
                        One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

Comment

He's been steadily improving, though he still strikes out way too much and doesn't walk enough.

Over the last four weeks: .320/.370/.547, 4 HR, 13 R, 12 RBI, 8 SB, 5.5 BB%, 24 K% (those last two are actually improvements)
                          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                            He's been steadily improving, though he still strikes out way too much and doesn't walk enough.

Over the last four weeks: .320/.370/.547, 4 HR, 13 R, 12 RBI, 8 SB, 5.5 BB%, 24 K% (those last two are actually improvements)
                            I'm starting to revise my earlier thinking about extending Mondesi to 3 years for $15 per year to maybe 4 years for $20...

With how rare 40-60 SB guys are, and how rare SBs have become across the game... add on the possibility of 20 HR, and you're looking at a potential $40+ player, or first round talent. Everything hinges on the BA and BB rate improvements continuing in the right direction. He's been showcasing this skillset long enough at AAA to believe it's real.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                              I'm starting to revise my earlier thinking about extending Mondesi to 3 years for $15 per year to maybe 4 years for $20...

With how rare 40-60 SB guys are, and how rare SBs have become across the game... add on the possibility of 20 HR, and you're looking at a potential $40+ player, or first round talent. Everything hinges on the BA and BB rate improvements continuing in the right direction. He's been showcasing this skillset long enough at AAA to believe it's real.
                              I'm really interested to see where Mondesi goes in drafts/auctions next year. As you noted he has the *potential* for 15+ HR and 40+ SB which is extremely valuable, but he struggled both in the minors and MLB with contact prior to this year (outside of half a year at AAA last year where he showed his potential) so the floor is very low (see Buxton, Byron).

Comment

I'm really interested to see where Mondesi goes in drafts/auctions next year. As you noted he has the *potential* for 15+ HR and 40+ SB which is extremely valuable, but he struggled both in the minors and MLB with contact prior to this year (outside of half a year at AAA last year where he showed his potential) so the floor is very low (see Buxton, Byron).
                                I drafted him on my reserve roster this year, so I have him for $10 going into next year which is awesome. But I suspect that we'll be seeing him on just about every single expert's "overvalued" list this off-season. It's going to be really hard for him to maintain an average that doesn't hurt you with that kind of plate discipline. So there probably will be 2 guys in every league that will price him based on a .270-.280 average which would, in fact, make him overvalued. Glad I have him for $10 so I don't have to think about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X