Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LeBron James is now (or will shortly be) the greatest basketball player of all time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LeBron James is now (or will shortly be) the greatest basketball player of all time

Discuss.

He doesn't have the supporting cast so 2018 is going to be the first time labron isn't playing the nba finals in how many seasons?

As for greatest ever, I have a hard time ranking anyone over air jordan.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
      He doesn't have the supporting cast so 2018 is going to be the first time labron isn't playing the nba finals in how many seasons?

As for greatest ever, I have a hard time ranking anyone over air jordan.
      I actually still thinks it's possible he drags this steaming mess that is the 2017-2018 Cleveland Cavaliers back to the NBA Finals. I've learned never to count him out. If he does that, he's better than Jordan. LeBron has already gotten to the Finals with far less supporting talent than Jordan ever brought there, IMO. He's also a better rebounder and passer, although Jordan was a better scorer and defender. And of course, Jordan's commitment to the NBA wavered. Not that I'm questioning his motives and what he went through with his father's murder, but by sacrificing two of his prime years in '93-'94 and most of '94-'95, then retiring again after '97-'98 and then coming back for '01-'02 and '02-'03 as a decent player for a mediocre Wizards team for two years, Jordan ultimately ceded ground on career stats and sustained year-after-year brilliance that LeBron has filled. Meanwhile, LeBron still looks primed for a 4th act beginning next season.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
        Discuss.
        The sixers played the cavs near the end of the season. The sixers were blowing them out in the first half when LaBron was trying to play some team ball. The game was for the 3rd seed in the east so it mattered. In the second half, Labron just took over the game and almost brought them back from like a 30 point deficit. The guy is amazing... and I hate that word.

Talk in Philly is that he may sign there... I go back and forth with if I want that or not. I mean, it's crazy not to want the best player ever to be on your team... but part of me wants to watch this team develop on its own... Not sure I want to watch it take a back-seat to him for 2-3 years of championships. It would be a fun counterbalance to Durant and the warriors though.

I don't see the Lakers being nearly as attractive of a competitive destination as Philly, although marketing and lifestyle wise, it's probably better.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
          The sixers played the cavs near the end of the season. The sixers were blowing them out in the first half when LaBron was trying to play some team ball. The game was for the 3rd seed in the east so it mattered. In the second half, Labron just took over the game and almost brought them back from like a 30 point deficit. The guy is amazing... and I hate that word.

Talk in Philly is that he may sign there... I go back and forth with if I want that or not. I mean, it's crazy not to want the best player ever to be on your team... but part of me wants to watch this team develop on its own... Not sure I want to watch it take a back-seat to him for 2-3 years of championships. It would be a fun counterbalance to Durant and the warriors though.

I don't see the Lakers being nearly as attractive of a competitive destination as Philly, although marketing and lifestyle wise, it's probably better.
          I hate LA. If I were LeBron, I'd definitely choose Philly.

Ultimately, I think the Sixers are an attractive enough destination to land a third star at the wing. Whether that's signing a LeBron James or Paul George in free agency, or doing a sign and trade with the Spurs for Kawhi Leonard (send back Fultz and Saric), I think it will happen, and it will be fun. LeBron is obviously the best of that bunch, but I would worry about him somewhat limiting Ben Simmons, who has thrived as the primary distributor. Kawhi or George could be a better team fit. Simmons-Reddick-Leonard-Covington-Embiid is a spectacular starting five that I think would have to be the favorite in the East, unless LeBron goes to Boston in a sign-and-trade for Kyrie, lol.

Comment

unless LeBron goes to Boston in a sign-and-trade for Kyrie, lol.
            I like it!
            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I am of the opinion that Lebron is the greatest of all time. I always considered Wilt as the GOAT, but Lebron has assumed that mantle.
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Yeah, LeBron is the GOAT, no question about it. We had a debate here several years back about this, before the titles, and a few posters felt he shouldn't be top 10 because of that criteria. Well, now he's got 3, so that settles that.
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

I think Lebron is the overall most talented player(great court awareness and passing) but Jordon is much more of a Killer player then Lebron. Rick Barry said the other day it is too hard in Basketball to say who is THE BEST. HIS EXCACT words is it was stupid. he said wilt and LeBron play 2 totally different position so you can't compare the 2.

As far as where Lebron goes. I wish him well but at his age and wanting a Max contract that could be another Kobe (last 3 year team killer) that if I am Philly I don't know if I would want to do. Plus any team that takes him on - has to know that he is THE ALPHA MALE - of the team. Lebron is an unselfish play but some players just have a hard time playing with him. ( their fault not his)

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
                    I think Lebron is the overall most talented player(great court awareness and passing) but Jordon is much more of a Killer player then Lebron. Rick Barry said the other day it is too hard in Basketball to say who is THE BEST. HIS EXCACT words is it was stupid. he said wilt and LeBron play 2 totally different position so you can't compare the 2.

As far as where Lebron goes. I wish him well but at his age and wanting a Max contract that could be another Kobe (last 3 year team killer) that if I am Philly I don't know if I would want to do. Plus any team that takes him on - has to know that he is THE ALPHA MALE - of the team. Lebron is an unselfish play but some players just have a hard time playing with him. ( their fault not his)
                    All fair. And if one thinks it's possible he would hold back Simmons' development should he sign with the 76ers, since the offense would presumably have to run through LeBron, not Simmons, then wouldn't the same arguably be true of Lonzo Ball in LA? Simmons at least has solid interior offense. Ball is a Jason Kidd type who can rack up assists and rebounds from the PG position, but who doesn't make sense as a complementary player to the greatest point-forward of all time. In NBA "real life", though, I think if you have the opportunity to add LeBron James and be a superteam, even for a few years, you probably do it. If you're asking where LeBron probably fits best offensively (among teams that he could lift to the top), it's probably Utah or Boston.

Comment

I grew up in Chicago in the 80s and it's clearly Lebron.
                      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Another ridiculously great game from LeBron today - 43 points on 19/28 shooting, with 14 assists, 8 rebounds, and just 1 turnover.

Comment

He has broken my spirit...

Comment

I've now got a friend on Facebook - a really knowledgeable NBA guy - saying that the Cavs are in trouble against the Celtics because the "Celtics are a better version of the Cavs without LeBron and with a better coach". And my only response was that "without LeBron" has proven time and again to trump "better team" or "better coach" as a deciding factor in the Eastern Conference. This year is testing that theory more than any other, though, as I'd say LeBron in each round of the playoffs has faced, is facing, or will face a better team with a better coach. What those teams lack is just, y'know, LeBron.

Comment

I've now got a friend on Facebook - a really knowledgeable NBA guy - saying that the Cavs are in trouble against the Celtics because the "Celtics are a better version of the Cavs without LeBron and with a better coach". And my only response was that "without LeBron" has proven time and again to trump "better team" or "better coach" as a deciding factor in the Eastern Conference. This year is testing that theory more than any other, though, as I'd say LeBron in each round of the playoffs has faced, is facing, or will face a better team with a better coach. What those teams lack is just, y'know, LeBron.
                              All true, but I think the Sixers still have a good chance to win the series against the Celtics. They only need to win one game in Boston. They haven't played a good 48 minutes yet, but if both teams are at the top of their games, I think Philly is better. Let's see if they start playing with more confidence after a couple of home games.

Comment

Working...
                              X